Legality of downloading Dizzy games?

A place to post interesting information to the community.
Mousey
Your Backpack is Empty

Legality of downloading Dizzy games?

Post by Mousey » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:47 pm

I'm posing this question with the greatest of respect, as yolkfolk.com is an excellent resource for anything Dizzy related and I truly appreciate all the time and effort that has gone into preserving the legacy of one of my favourite game series.

I am wondering why yolkfolk.com can offer downloads of the original Dizzy games, when Codemasters have denied sites such as World of Spectrum from doing so. I've searched the forum but not come up with anything other than it seems they were not always available to download here, as per this post by Dizzy in 2011:

viewtopic.php?p=20459#p20459
Although, it is illegal for anybody online (outside The Oliver Twins and Codemasters) to distribute the series, you may find by searching through Google some sites that offer the series for download.
Can anyone provide an official answer to this?

Andrew Joseph
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Re: Legality of downloading Dizzy games?

Post by Andrew Joseph » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:49 pm

Hi
Very good question. We host the game roms as preservation as we have a good relationship with both Codemasters and The Oliver Twins.
If either party wanted us to remove the roms, then we will without question.
However, both parties know the existence of the site and know how the site has helped and continue to keep Dizzy alive. Even in helping produce NEW/OLD titles such as Wonderland Dizzy.
We also host the back catalogue of The Oliver Twins games as an archive as homage to them. Again, they are aware of this.

We do our best to comply with all official parties.

Hope this helps.

Andrew (Dizzy)

Mousey
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by Mousey » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:55 am

Thanks for the detailed reply Andrew.

Everything you say is reasonable and hopefully Codemasters and the Oliver Twins continue to appreciate the role you play in maintaining some value to the Dizzy IP. Keep up the eggcellent work! Sorry, I couldn't resist... :dizzy_rolleyes:

zavier
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by zavier » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:11 pm

My understanding (British law at least) is if you own the original physical copy of a game, then it's legal for you to have a ROM image because that would count as having a backup of it (backups for personal use are legal).