Mystery Case Files

Its not all Dizzy out there.
Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Mystery Case Files

Post by Adz.M » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:39 pm

Does anyone here know about this series?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_Case_Files

http://www.mysterycasefiles.com

The Mystery Case Files series is known for its ‘Hidden Object’ puzzles for PC where, in order to progress through a game, the player must find a certain number of items hidden somewhere on a painted scene.

I have Return to Ravenhearst and Dire Grove and gameplay does have a tiny piece of Dizzy in it where you explore areas, find clues to puzzles, find items and use them to do more exploring, although most items are collected through the Hidden object subgames.

If you have the games from Return to Ravenhearst onwards, I do recommend checking it out, also playing them for the first time might give you that 'disturbing' feel if you know what I mean. :p

Colin
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Colin » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:38 pm

looks like the type of game my mum likes to play on her nintendo ds!
ImageImageImage

Colin
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Colin » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:28 pm

in the demo, i tried picking up the bone, but it doesn't go into the inventory
ImageImageImage

NigeC
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by NigeC » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:53 am

We have the last 3, very clever, well made games, they have spurred on other people to do similar games but MCF games usually raise the bar for everyone else.
Hidden object games are fairly easy to make, the hard bit is getting loads of items in the scene and making them hard to find.
I can't see why you couldn't do a Dizzyage one, you'd have to use Mega Drive type graphics possibly

I don't think we've had any MCF with a bug, well not since the early ones when the hidden object games could glitch, do a search on the net if there is a problem picking up an object up, its usually well documented
NigeC Studios
Also available on Deviant Art for 3D stuff I've done lately

mickyblueeyes
Hard Boiled Egg
Location: Bury now, but lived all over this part of Lancashire

Post by mickyblueeyes » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:36 pm

I've got about 10 hidden object games including 4 MCF, all free offers from Big Fish Games. Worth registering with them for the freebies but they can give you eye strain if you play them for too long :v2_dizzy_eek:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

princeoftheyolkfolk
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by princeoftheyolkfolk » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:00 pm

I love these games and am at the moment playing the most recent 1 - 13th skull.
So far its much more hidden object and searching for things to use and although enjoyable enough to play its nowhere near as good imo as return to ravenhearst or dire grove which were both ace!!
Although i am still near the beginning so maybe it will get better.

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:59 am

This has really made my day! :D

http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/myster ... announced/

Even though I've only seen clips of the first Ravenhearst game, I absolutely enjoyed playing Return to Ravenhearst and I'm really looking forward to this new one coming out maybe late November.

Escape from Ravenhearst. :p

frogandhat
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by frogandhat » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:44 am

By coincidence, I just received an email from Big Fish, offering a free MCF game, Ravenhearst
[quote]

Thanks for taking advantage of this special offer for 2 Free Mac/PC Games from Big Fish Games!

Here are the coupon codes and instructions you need to unlock your games:

Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst(R)
Unlock the mysterious secret of Ravenhearst Manor in this chilling Hidden Object game.

Your coupon code is: MOBFREERAVEN

PC: Get Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst for your PC

Mac: Get Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst for your Mac

Fairway Solitaire
Pull out your clubs (and your diamonds, hearts, and spades) and enjoy a round of the #1 hit Card game.

Your coupon code is: MOBFAIRWAY

PC: Get Fairway Solitaire for your PC

Mac: Get Fairway Solitaire for your Mac

How to use your coupon codes:

1. Visit the game page and click the Buy It button.
2. Enter your coupon code in the "Have a coupon code?" box. You can copy and paste your coupon code or retype it. Click Apply Code.
3. The price of the game should be $0.00. Click Continue.
4. Create a free Big Fish Games account (no credit card required) or sign in.
5. Review your cart and submit your order.

The games are now yours to play forever, compliments of Big Fish Games. Enjoy!

Have questions? We're here to help:*http://www.BigFishGames.com/help

This message was sent from an automated email server. Please don't reply to this message as we won't receive your response.

Big Fish Games, Inc. A New Game Every Day! ?
[\QUOTE]

As its free, I can't imagine they would mind me sharing!
Insert signature here

frogandhat
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by frogandhat » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:45 am

I downloaded this and have now completed it. Quite good fun, but fairly short, took me about 7 hours to complete, but I suppose the 2 problems you can get with this style of game is eye strain and boredom through repetition. Still, for free, I can't grumble as I enjoyed playing it, and the story was quite good.
I also bought a similar game for 50p in a charity shop, James Patterson's Women's Murder Club Twice in a Blue Moon, which I thought was a bit better with more varied puzzles, but far shorter as it only took about 4 hours to complete, but again, I thought it was a nice way of telling a story.
Insert signature here

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:49 am

I downloaded it too, took me about 7 hours aswell.

The first 4 MCF games used that format with endless stages of hidden objects puzzles, time limits and a sub games mixed in.

The later games like Return to Ravenhearst onwards was more improved and without time limits, kinda like Dizzy in a 3rd person view but without hazards or the ability to jump, also collecting most of the items you need to reach new places involve solving hidden object puzzles that can now be accessed when you see any areas that sparkle.

There's also digitised actors in the later games too.