Spellbound Dizzy Remake - DizzyAGE Community Project

Post information about your own Dizzy creations.
Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Spellbound Dizzy Remake - DizzyAGE Community Project

Post by Adz.M » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:40 pm

Before Peter walked of into the sunset, he uploaded the latest beta version of his DizzyAGE Remake of Spellbound that he was working on and off for almost 5 years.

I've had a play through this and I'd say that the remake is 96% complete.

http://www.yolkfolk.com/site/spellbound.zip - The game already runs on the latest version of DizzyAGE (v2.4).

Peter has said that he will no longer be working on the remake, aswell as future DizzyAGE games he originally planned to work on in the past.

He also said that he hopes that the remake will someday see the light of day in the hands of another DizzyAGE Programmer. Hopefully you guys can help.

Peter didn't give us any detail on what work needs doing on the remake, but I'm guessing that the extra menu options like on his past remakes (i.e. Dizzy's sprite colour and selecting diffrent HUDs etc.) may need to be implemented.

Here are various bugs and unfinished pieces I was able to find on my run.
[spoiler]- The music needs to be changed from the C64 version to the Spectrum version.

- The game crashes when you select OPTIONS in the Main Menu.

- You don't lose energy when you hit the ground too hard. Maybe a menu option for that.

- In the Inventory box, the background changes from transparent to plain black when you use the arrow keys.

- Theodore's dialog(s) needs altering, he says "couple of stars" instead of "five stars".

- The item "THIN STICKS" cannot be dropped.

- In the room "THE OLD MINE WORKINGS", the falling rocks do not appear and kill you when you walk towards the bottom-right corner.

- One of the "DAMP AND DRIPPY" acid raindrops is impossible to dodge.

- Dizzy does not drown underwater whilst He's moving. Keep him standig still and he will start to drown, but when you control Dizzy when the energy bar starts to drop, the energy bar stops going down. (Although if you fall into the right hand side of "THE RESERVOIR", he drowns like normal.)

- None of the underwater enemies move or hurt you.

- Other underwater enemies from the original game are missing on this version. (i.e. the crabs and sea slugs)

- There are certain bugs with the windy shaft no matter how many boulders you have. One of the major ones is that you can't reach the level where Shamus and Grand Dizzy are with the three boulders.

- Dizzy's "eating with Aqualung" sprite is missing.

- With the "KILLER B'S" if you leave the smoking log in that room, leave the room and walk back and the bees still appear even with the smoking log. But they do dissapear again if you take the smoking log and re-enter the room.

- The Whale does not sneeze anywhere near "A VAST LAKE" no matter where abouts you use the pepper. On the original version, you need to get the Whale to sneeze on that screen to reach for the flippers. Denzil can be reached on this remake.

- The item "STICKY TAPE" cannot be dropped.

- The room the hides the "PRETTY CLOTH" is not named. It's called "THE ILLUSION RETURNS!".

- The item "PRETTY CLOTH" cannot be dropped.

- The Tasty Seaweed does not get rid of the bats in the spooky cave.

- The fishing net in "THE RESERVE TANK" is impossible to reach.

- The game crashes when you give Theodore Pogie's collar. [/spoiler]
We hope that any DizzyAGE Programmers out there are willing help us get this remake 100% completed.
Both me and Andrew aren't too familiar with the DizzyAGE engine and neither of us have time to actually look into the engine and make a decent game out of it.

If any DizzyAGE Programmer does wish to help us out, PLEASE let us know here first and make sure you keep Peter's name on the credits. After all, he has done an awful lot to this remake and we truly thank him for it.

Latest Beta version - Updated 13th Feb 2014
http://www.yolkfolk.com/media/games/yol ... ndBeta.zip

Special thanks to Delta, SnTrooper and Pogie.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:00 pm

:O what's happened to Peter?
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:02 pm

Meph wrote: :O what's happened to Peter?
See this thread.

http://www.yolkfolk.com/bb/showthread.p ... Peter-Teal

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:14 pm

oh yeah, didn't notice that.
I'm sure there is someone here who will get Spellbound completed. but if it's almost finished I'm surprised he didn't just finish it off as a finial farewell. Lot of hard work and dedication for nothing if nobody picks up the pieces.
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

Dizzy9
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Dizzy9 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:35 pm

The music needs to be changed from the C64 version to the Spectrum version.
It's a matter of preference. Maybe make a menu option for that?

I never tried Dizzy Age, so I'll leave it for the pro's. I might try learning how to code in Dizzy age(I'm a programmer, after all) but I guess Delta or someone else will do the job ;)

Also, back when I was translating Spellbound Lite for DizzyAge Peter mentioned that he wants to make a language selection for Specllbound Dizzy too. I'm willing to translate the game, but the question is: Is lang. selection menu coded? I hope so.

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:22 pm

If no-one takes this up, I might have a look at it sometime. There are a few issues however:

- I have other interests and things to do these days, so I have less time.

- Ditto with inclination.

- Plus I never finished the game, and don't have the original to compare it to.

- Lastly, the trouble with programming is that you can't just come in and easily finish someone else's work. They will have different ways of coding things, and it could take you ages just to work out what on earth it all does.

Some of the issues you highlight will be easy to do/fix, others less so. I'll go through the bug list and say how difficult I think each would be to fix:

[SPOILER]
- The music needs to be changed from the C64 version to the Spectrum version.
<i><b>Easy.</b></i>

<i><b>Easy.</b> Depends on the reason for it crashing.</i>

- You don't lose energy when you hit the ground too hard. Maybe a menu option for that.
<i><b>Difficult.</b> Would involve messing around with movement code and other complex stuff like that.</i>

- In the Inventory box, the background changes from transparent to plain black when you use the arrow keys.
<i><b>Unsure.</b> It depends how Peter coded it. From what I remember of him discussing this years ago, it sounded like he'd done it a horrendously complicated way, and it might simply be easier to replace the entire code for this with the code I used for MFD.</i>

- Theodore's dialog(s) needs altering, he says "couple of stars" instead of "five stars".
<i><b>Easy.</b></i>

<i><b>Medium.</b> God knows why an item can't be dropped. Could be easy to fix, could be a sod to fix. Who knows?</i>

- In the room "THE OLD MINE WORKINGS", the falling rocks do not appear and kill you when you walk towards the bottom-right corner.
<i><b>Easy.</b> Sounds like this section hasn't been added, but there's enough games have done something similar.</i>

<i><b>Easy.</b></i>

- Dizzy does not drown underwater whilst He's moving. Keep him standig still and he will start to drown, but when you control Dizzy when the energy bar starts to drop, the energy bar stops going down. (Although if you fall into the right hand side of "THE RESERVOIR", he drowns like normal.)
<i><b>Medium.</b></i>

<i><b>Easy.</b> Well, easy but time-consuming.</i>

- Other underwater enemies from the original game are missing on this version. (i.e. the crabs and sea slugs)
<i><b>Easy.</b> As above, assuming it's known where they should be (which I don't).</i>

- There are certain bugs with the windy shaft no matter how many boulders you have. One of the major ones is that you can't reach the level where Shamus and Grand Dizzy are with the three boulders.
<i><b>Difficult.</b> Likely to be a complex piece of coding. Finding out why bugs happen with it could be very difficult.</i>

<i><b>Easy.</b> Ish.</i>

- With the "KILLER B'S" if you leave the smoking log in that room, leave the room and walk back and the bees still appear even with the smoking log. But they do dissapear again if you take the smoking log and re-enter the room.
<i><b>Easy.</b></i>

- The Whale does not sneeze anywhere near "A VAST LAKE" no matter where abouts you use the pepper. On the original version, you need to get the Whale to sneeze on that screen to reach for the flippers. Denzil can be reached on this remake.
<i><b>Medium - Difficult.</b> That whole section of code is probably missing.</i>

<i><b>Medium.</b> See Thin Sticks.</i>

- The room the hides the "PRETTY CLOTH" is not named. It's called "THE ILLUSION RETURNS!".
<i><b>Easy.</b></i>

<i><b>Medium.</b> See Thin Sticks.</i>

<i><b>Easy.</b></i>

<i><b>Easy.</b> Probably.</i>

- The game crashes when you give Theodore Pogie's collar.
<i><b>Easy.</b></i>
[/SPOILER]

Don't hold your breath on me doing it though.

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

SnTrooper
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by SnTrooper » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:38 pm

delta wrote:- Plus I never finished the game, and don't have the original to compare it to.
If you did decide to take it up I have the emulated Spectrum version that I could send you.

mickyblueeyes
Hard Boiled Egg
Location: Bury now, but lived all over this part of Lancashire

Post by mickyblueeyes » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:36 am

If no-one takes this up, I might have a look at it sometime.
Well if anybody could do it I'm sure you could Delta, ( please?) Image
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:39 pm

I too have never actually completed Spellbound but I know my way around many parts.

When I was going through the remake, I had to have the original version on a Spectrum emulator running the background to make sure which sections are right and which ones aren't right.

The quickest way to navigate through all the rooms in the original is the "IWANTANOMLETTE" cheat, click the spoiler the tag to see how the cheat works.
[spoiler]Start the game and then quit by pressing Q. Now type in IWANTANOMLETTE and the border will flash. Now start and you can press C for a cheat menu.[/spoiler]
Interestingly, I was going through the Amiga version of this game not long ago, and it appears there that Dizzy doesn't lose energy when he hits the ground too hard.
And the scroll next to the lake reads something like "Meet Willy the Whale, he looks kinda hungry..." or somewhere along those lines.
The way Dizzy goes the down windy shaft on the Amiga is odd too, when you have a boulder, Dizzy just simply goes down like he's on a lift.

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:15 pm

Sorry guys, but I haven't got the time to go through the original and compare it with the remake. However, I will try to fix any bugs that are posted here, then send the changed zip file to adz, so that he can upload it for others to test, and post about other bugs :)

So I've spent an hour or so on this, and done the following:

[SPOILER]
- The music needs to be changed from the C64 version to the Spectrum version.
Do you have the Spectrum music?

FIXED

Not looked at this yet

Trying to fix this. Odd bug.

FIXED

FIXED

As I suspected, this hasn't been coded yet.

FIXED

FIXED - actually a problem with walking in front of scenery underwater, not walking in general. Most scenery was set so that the material could be read, and that material is set as 'air'

As I suspected, this hasn't been coded yet.

Not looked at this

Can you tell me exactly which sections you're supposed to be able to reach with each amount of boulders? I notice that if you're carrying two boulders and fall as far as you can, you're pretty much stuffed.

Do you have the animation sprites for this? It doesn't come with DizzyAGE.

Not looked at this yet

FIXED

FIXED

FIXED

FIXED

As far as I can tell, this hasn't been coded yet. It's probably pretty easy to do, but more information about what you're supposed to do and what is supposed to happen would be great.

FIXED - can now walk in front of the pipe without being sucked down.

- The game crashes when you give Theodore Pogie's collar.
FIXED
[/SPOILER]

I'd appreciate someone else who knows DizzyAGE coding the baddies though, I haven't really got time to do all those. Similarly with the rocks in the disused mine.

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln