LETS PLAY: DIZZY - THE ULTIMATE CARTOON ADVENTURE

Stuck making the potion? Lost in land of Khatmandu?
Dizzy
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

LETS PLAY: DIZZY - THE ULTIMATE CARTOON ADVENTURE

Post by Dizzy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:01 pm

The Oliver Twins have posted a video on their eggcellent YouTube account...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXJaTlX-wsw

EgoTrip
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by EgoTrip » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:46 pm

They used the bird seed wrong.

Dizzy
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Dizzy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:06 pm

:) EgoTrip... I believe they use it correctly.. they did write it after all :)

Nice of them to code it so that you can hold the item to use it also :)

AndyG
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by AndyG » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:25 pm

I noticed that. I wonder if the way I've been doing it (holding the seed and jumping into him) is an unintended bonus? I wonder if they realise? Interesting video, anyway :)

EgoTrip
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by EgoTrip » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:59 pm

I really doubt that is the intended use for it, considering there are numerous nasty screens on the game with birds, bats, spiders, rain and apples. I think the way they used it is the trap way, and the game is full of traps.

Maybe they just forgot? They were not completing the puzzles in the best order anyway, for example you should leave the ghost hunter's laser until later in the game after you have got the garlic. I know some of the games I've written I don't remember the best way to finish them and they have made a lot more than me and for a lot longer than me, almost as long as I've been alive.

Of course I could be wrong. Maybe they will shed more light on it?

DCT
Hard Boiled Egg

Re: EgoTrip

Post by DCT » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:54 pm

It would be nice if they shed light on a lot of things. As to the question of what is the `right` way to use items, check the results the both methods have and compare them with each other.

What is this Spectrum emulator anyway? Is it a machine that plays Spectrum Games that isn't a spectrum or is it a machine that plays remade Spectrum Games?

EgoTrip
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by EgoTrip » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:17 pm

A spectrum emulator is software that emulates a spectrum machine. The best one to use is ZX Spin for PC, or if you are willing to pay, Spectaculator is good. There are mobile emulators available but don't bother unless you have a controller.

As for playing the actual game, you can connect up your tape player to the line in on your PC I think and load it old skool style, or record it to a wav file then convert to a tap file.

However, I really do recommend you get an Amstrad CPC emulator like WinAPE or JavaCPC (both are free) as the machine is better than the Spectrum, and the games while only having four colours on screen at a time are otherwise identical. And of course you can then play the original and best version of the almighty (unrelated to Dizzy) Spindizzy. Don't bother at all with C64 for Dizzy games, they are not the same.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:34 pm

Trouble is using the bird seed that way you only get to use it once, I agree with the idea it was a trap because most first time players wont think to touch a baddie.

Unless, the whole idea was for the player to only use it the once. Interesting little 'Easter egg'

Anyway, nice video but didn't really learn anything new from it.
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

frogandhat
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by frogandhat » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:06 pm

I find it quite amusing at how bad they are at playing it and how little they remember about how to play the game successfully! :shocked: Like seemingly everyone else, I was completely unaware that the bird would be killed just by touching the bird seed. I cannot imagine that this is the 'correct' way to use it as there are far too many other birds flying around to be able to afford to lose the seed at all, yet alone on one of the easier birds to avoid! As evidenced by them themselves on the first path when they got killed on the crystal mountain. But I suppose, as they said, they played it a lot when writing it, then once it was complete, moved on to the next game / project.

DCT - yes, get a Spectrum emulator, it was supported with far more software than the Amstrad, and Dizzy doesn't look ill in the Speccy games like he does in the Amstrad games ;p Try http://www.worldofspectrum.org for emulators and downloads to most of the released Speccy games (but NOT any Codemasters (i.e. Dizzy etc) or Ultimate Play The Game as these publishers do not allow distribution of their titles). The emulator will load the game immediately as long as you do not use the TZX format - if you do, it will load as if it was 1982 and take 5 minutes to load a 48K program! In a totally different genre to Dizzy, I wholeheartedly recommend Tau Ceti and Academy by Pete Cooke.
Insert signature here

DCT
Hard Boiled Egg

Re: EgoTrip / frogandhat

Post by DCT » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:03 pm

The PCs I use aren't my own they're public so that might be difficult. Do I take it that emulators play emulated versions of the games or are you saying you use the emulator after you've loaded and converted the game from tape?

When I raised the question I was partially wondering the relationship of emulators to the new Sinclair Spectrum Vega.
How do C64 games differ especially this one? I can't really find much about the C64 version online to compare.

Hmm, it's not encouraging is it, frogandhat? If they can't remember how to play the game they made what can we expect them to remember about the game they might have made but didn't? I can sort of appreciate EgoTrip's attachment to the Amstrad version, if Dizzy didn't, as you say, look ill it would probably be the best version but a green Dizzy seems so against the point that's a real mark down. I just wish it had been made for the Amiga I might actually have played it. Heck, it might even have had a bigger map. I always liked the graphics on Amiga for clarity of detail although I can see how some might construe them as to `bright` or `cartoony`.