Is There Anything You'd Have Changed About The Game?

Stuck making the potion? Lost in land of Khatmandu?
Stephen Parry
Free Range Egg

Is There Anything You'd Have Changed About The Game?

Postby Stephen Parry » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:31 pm

Nothing in life is perfect and we can all probably think of movies or books which could have been better in some areas. I suppose the same could apply to computer games, too.

The first Dizzy game is my favourite Dizzy game and I'd even go as far as saying it's my favourite Amstrad game ever! It was the game I played more times than any other and I never once got bored with it, frustrating as it could be at times.

In retrospect, I'd have liked more lives, cheats, invincibility, etc. It would have certainly made the game easier to complete, but in a strange sort of way - and I don't think youngsters can appreciate this - there was something satisfying about the lack of cheats and the limited lives in games of yesteryear. You appreciated the effort more, even if it did have you pulling your hair out at times.

I'm throwing this question out to everyone, but I can honestly say that there is nothing I would have changed about Dizzy, even if I had the power. For me, every facet of the game is perfect and I can see nothing that would have improved it.

What about the rest of you, though?

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Postby Adz.M » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:36 pm

I'm pretty much happy with how TUCA looks and plays. :)

But if I was asked to change anything in the game, absurd as it may sound but I'd actually extend the map :p have more puzzles and hazards to tackle.
That's how much I enjoyed it as a kid. :p

Dizzy9
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Dizzy9 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:07 pm

Only one thing.
Make The bridge(yes, THAT bridge) reapear if you fail(And die by falling into pit with skeleton).

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Bag of Magic Food » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:26 am

I would be interested to see how the game plays if you could carry multiple objects.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Meph » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:51 pm

Speed up the scrolls, takes forever to read one of those messages.
[font="Comic Sans MS"]Its always the cracked ones that let the light in [/font]

AnthonyJDB
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby AnthonyJDB » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:20 am

To this day, Dizzy TUCA has my favourite atmosphere of all the series - an air of gothic, Tim Burtonesque whimsy in a dark fairytale world of haunted mines, dungeons, graveyards, and malevolent creatures, mixing the comic and cartoon aspects with a genuine sense of menace that went beyond what the genre had achieved before (Though it has the crudest sprites of the series, TBF, the detailed hi-res backgrounds put it in a league beyond such forbears as Monty Mole and Jet Set Willy). Even some of the unfulfilled / unexplained aspects of the game - the corridors you saw but never got to explore, and the bizarre "Mad Carew" and "Yellow God" references - added to the sense of mystery and a greater world, and some of the settings (Crystal Mountain especially) are among the most epic and original in the series.

Having said that, the inventory "system" stinks to high heaven, though that was standard for the genre at the time (as was the hair-rippingly intense difficulty level). Any remake would do well to improve on that, however, not to mention sorting out the aforementioned gripe about the irreversible collapsing bridge trap. And come to think of it, I would love one day to find out what really lies down those mysterious unexplored routes in the Haunted Mine and Mad Carew's tomb ...

ianforcer
Your Backpack is Empty

Re: Is There Anything You'd Have Changed About The Game?

Postby ianforcer » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:14 pm

As Adz said I too would extend the map to maybe double the size, include the Yolkfolk and Theo and have his secret grotto within the crystal falls and perhaps Rockwart in the mines. Have a lot more items and be able to hold 3 at a time.

Perhaps Glenda guarding her cauldron and you have to give the items to her to make the potion up to kill Zaks. I'd also have a gust of wind blow Shamus' wig off and you can pick it up further in the map.

There's a few welcome additions for starters. Anyone else agree?