Did this game exist??

Its not all Dizzy out there.
ClientFan
Hard Boiled Egg

Did this game exist??

Post by ClientFan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:54 am

I've got this really vague memory, but still persuasive enough to be bugging me, about a game I would have seen on the Amstrad CPC464 when I was 6 or 7, back in 86 or so. It wouldn't have been very sophisticated in either graphics or gameplay, so I would have said it was a good couple of years older than say TUAC even at that point.

I remember a classroom setting, where I think the object was to avoid a 'baddie' (in this case presumably a teacher) and get some kind of collectible (hearts? though possibly mixing that up with Popeye) which allowed you to progress to more rooms. The gameplay view was front-on '3d' (like, say, Frankenstein Jnr for example), and I seem to remember three rows of desks with a more open area to the left. You controlled a character who could move freely around the space (in front of and behind the desks etc).

I've got a notion that you 'progressed' from this room into a hall-type setting, where the foe now after you was a janitor. As little as I can recall it must have been one of those frustratingly difficult games where timing and position has to be meticulous or else you inevitably die each time, hence probably why I can't remember any more screens.

It's driving me mad, so knowing that it either did exist, or else that I am likely just making it up from jumbled assorted memories, would go down equally well!

thefly
Free Range Egg

Post by thefly » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:54 am

hello,the game called mikie,i know about the spectrum version,you can download on world of spectrum site.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:53 pm

Nope but i have popeye.. i hated that game!!

Couple of games I've never been able to track down is one i think is an early dos game involving snakes and ladders within a maze, it wasn't snakes and ladders it just had ladders around a maze and snakes running around it was one of our favorite games, id love to find it again.

The other one involved a stick man in a maze collecting gold i believe.. this might have been an dos game too.. while the graphics were shit the game was good run.
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

Lord Dizzy of Yolkfolk
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Lord Dizzy of Yolkfolk » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:07 pm

ClientFan wrote:I've got this really vague memory, but still persuasive enough to be bugging me, about a game I would have seen on the Amstrad CPC464 when I was 6 or 7, back in 86 or so. It wouldn't have been very sophisticated in either graphics or gameplay, so I would have said it was a good couple of years older than say TUAC even at that point.

I remember a classroom setting, where I think the object was to avoid a 'baddie' (in this case presumably a teacher) and get some kind of collectible (hearts? though possibly mixing that up with Popeye) which allowed you to progress to more rooms. The gameplay view was front-on '3d' (like, say, Frankenstein Jnr for example), and I seem to remember three rows of desks with a more open area to the left. You controlled a character who could move freely around the space (in front of and behind the desks etc).

I've got a notion that you 'progressed' from this room into a hall-type setting, where the foe now after you was a janitor. As little as I can recall it must have been one of those frustratingly difficult games where timing and position has to be meticulous or else you inevitably die each time, hence probably why I can't remember any more screens.

It's driving me mad, so knowing that it either did exist, or else that I am likely just making it up from jumbled assorted memories, would go down equally well!
Yes I remember this game well, it definately did exist & was indeed called Mikie, once you get into it, it was a great game, one of the better ones on the spectrum & had a good distinguished music tune. You did collect hearts around the classroom seats & other school rooms dodging the teachers etc, was good fun !!

http://www.zxspectrum.net/ Go to 1985 down the list to Mikie Click on to load then press enter when all the hearts show.

I can't remember how well & far I got into the game but I think from memory if you complete all the levels, well rooms you start again but maybe the difficulty level went up.

frogandhat
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by frogandhat » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:38 pm

I remember Mikie! was quite a good game, but the best school based game was Skool Daze by a country mile.
Who didnt have fun naming the teachers after your own teachers, and then catapulting them? :devil:

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:46 pm

that's rubbish. what on earth are you supposed to do?

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

frogandhat
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by frogandhat » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:05 pm

Skool Daze was quite convoluted.
You had to try and get access to the school safe, which meant you had to obtain the code to access it, there were shields that you had to hit with your catapult (some of which you had to bounce off of a downed teachers head as I recall), and all the time you had to be not seen breaking school rules or you would get lines - get too many lines and its game over. Trouble is, I never got too far into playing the game as it was quite tricky, and it was far too easy to get sidetracked into beating up the school swat and the bully as well as attacking the teachers when one of the other characters was around, so giving them the lines

WOS link:
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0004549

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:13 pm

sorry, I was talking about this 'mikie' game.

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

ClientFan
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by ClientFan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:31 pm

Following my short-lived attempts to refamiliarise myself with the game Delta, I'm not going to disagree with your somewhat succinct assessment!

Thanks to everyone that so promptly replied though, putting my evanescent memory out of its misery. I can remember now the game being quite popular for a spell amongst my older siblings and their peers. Seems so depressingly an age ago that such things were sufficient to hold sway!