Spellbound Dizzy (DizzyAGE Remake) [PROGRESS THREAD]

Post information about your own Dizzy creations.
pteal79
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by pteal79 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:17 pm

Maybe

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:29 pm

:shocked:
Peter wrote:Maybe
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Bag of Magic Food » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:21 pm

Peter wrote:There is going to be a leaderboard for the game that you can view online, but to use it you must first 'register' your copy to allow you to upload your score to the website like TOS, only people that have registered to upload their scores and stats will have access to the lite version once they have completed the full game.

This is because each copy will have its own unique serial number which will be used to encode game play stats and if they have access to the lite version.

People that don't register can still play the normal game but won't be able to access the lite version.
A leaderboard is one thing, but this seems kind of mean. I hope you changed your mind about this in the past two and a half years. You wouldn't want to act like one of those big game companies that treat their customers like criminals who don't deserve access to things they already own until they jump through enough hoops. That's just begging for people to crack your work and spread it around without your approval.

Now, about those screenshots... I find it a little funny that they all feature Dizzy in the white boots and gloves, because this would be the one game where it's really justified for the DizzyAGE remake to put Dizzy in red boots and gloves, as he had them in both the Amstrad CPC and the Commodore 64 ports. But maybe it will be an option to switch the color like I've heard of in other DizzyAGE games.

And what is with dressing the wizard Theodore in purple in the status bar? I thought red was his traditional color, so I probably would have made him look about the way he does in the Amstrad CPC version. See, even though it had more limited colors, that actually allowed for cleaner coloring because every tile used the same 4 colors, rather than square chunks of clashing colors laid on top of a more rounded figure. I'm just curious as to what you used as the basis for what.

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:03 pm

Bag of Magic Food wrote:I'm just curious as to what you used as the basis for that.
the speccy version had him in Purple.

Also, I'm guessing Peter will probably give the option of different Dizzy sprites as he did in TUCA.

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Bag of Magic Food » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:13 pm

Okay, but then his hat was also green, wasn't it?

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:36 pm

My apologies, he was dressed in light blue in the speccy version, I just looked at a screenshot. His hat was indeed green.

mickyblueeyes
Hard Boiled Egg
Location: Bury now, but lived all over this part of Lancashire

Post by mickyblueeyes » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:57 am

It's been a long time coming but I know it's worth the wait. :tup:
I can play Spellbound any time on emulator but the Dizzyage version of any of the original games is always something special, and Peter is the expert at this. <bow down="" before="" the="" master="" smiley="">
As far as an online leaderboard is concerned, it's just the same as TOS and that worked brilliantly ( IMHO ). :v2_dizzy_wink2:
And to "bag of magic food" you didn't pay for these games, they are given freely to the Dizzy community so if anybody wants to hack them what's the point? :v2_dizzy_confused3:
(TOS was hacked but the hacked version didn't allow them to post their high scores)</bow>
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Bag of Magic Food » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:21 am

Well, that's just the thing, Peter is making this game as a free contribution, so why go to all the trouble of locking off part of it with serial numbers and server access as if it were something that was only worthy of being given to the elite? An unlockable is a cute idea, but if people really want to cheat, just let them cheat, it'll be easier for everybody! Besides, I think the Lite version of Spellbound Dizzy makes a nice warm-up before attempting to tackle the full version. But with that lockout system, I imagine you would have to replay the whole game to unlock that again if you ever had to reinstall it because you had a data loss or had to switch to another computer quickly or something like that. Would you really want so few people to get to see the work you put into reproducing the Lite version because of the way you enforced the requirement to play the version that so many people struggle with?

:v2_dizzy_dry: Oh wait, I think I've got it now: Peter is worried that people dislike playing the original version of Spellbound Dizzy so much that they'll only play the Lite version and miss all his hard work on the full version. Maybe?

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:06 am

I'm hoping he's changed his mind, because I've never played the 'lite' version.

Oh and people do hack the games. I believe ETD was hacked to give it a normal 'save' facility. Such is life.

xelanoimis
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by xelanoimis » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:55 pm

Great news indeed!
There's always someone asking me where he/she can download Dizzy5 :)
Alex