Crystal Kingdom Dizzy Remake - DizzyAGE Community Project

Post information about your own Dizzy creations.
Pogie
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Pogie » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:25 pm

Fear not, I will be making this as close to the original as I am capable of and if Adz doesn't mind some of his hard work being altered then I'll change the map a little too? I've still got things to do that I CAN do with the coding but once I've finished I'll send it to Adz and he can make it available for inspection just to make sure things are going in the right direction! Trying to get as much as I possibly can done before the end of the year :say_yes:

(I don't like the level system or the different jumps either btw, is there ANYBODY out there who actually does?!)

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:37 pm

Fear not, I will be making this as close to the original as I am capable of and if Adz doesn't mind some of his hard work being altered then I'll change the map a little too?

Like I said, It's a Community project so any alterations are welcome. :)

I can imagine the Crystal Island segment would be one of them since I made a mess of it and ended up doing two extra rooms underground. X)
I've still got things to do that I CAN do with the coding but once I've finished I'll send it to Adz and he can make it available for inspection just to make sure things are going in the right direction! Trying to get as much as I possibly can done before the end of the year :say_yes:

Good to hear. :)
(I don't like the level system or the different jumps either btw, is there ANYBODY out there who actually does?!)
The format didn't really bother me, but that's probably because I grew up with the C64 version.
But anyone who's played the Spectrum version and enjoyed the adventure games before it, I kind of understand where they're coming from.

universospectrum
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by universospectrum » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:15 pm

Pogie wrote:Fear not, I will be making this as close to the original as I am capable of
This is absolutely delicious to ear!!! :D Can't wait to get my hands on it.

I've never actually noticed how well the levels fit side to side with one another. Anyway either it cames whit or without levels it will be great. I'll be happy just to see the jumps thing jumping out of the scene. LOL
Q: What is Dizzy's favourite movie? A: ET - the Eggstra-Terrestrial :v2_dizzy_happy: zxspectrum.com.pt

Pogie
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Pogie » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:07 pm

Just a quick update!

I've been going back and forth with the accuracy of this and I've decided to follow Adz' map and not stick rigidly to the original. Most of the game works fine anyway but some puzzles become a bit more awkward to code and for the player to solve and there's lots of walking about wondering what to do with no clues. What I mean is there's no "A-B-C" but things would be a bit smoother with a few changes. I like Adz' map a lot and I don't want it to go so I plan on keeping things as close to the spirit of the original as possible but with some updates.

I hope this is okay? Once this version is done it would be fairly straightforward to use most of the code with a brand new 100% accurate original map to produce a very accurate remake. I'm happy to do that in the future if there is a demand for it and nobody else wants to. But for now it's a lot less of a headache to work the gameplay around the reimagined map - it'll mean that the game is ultimately better for it.

I hope that made sense!

universospectrum
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by universospectrum » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:31 am

Hi

If you allow me to make a suggestion: why not make a two-in-one?
Lets face it: the most probable thing to happen is that no one will pick it up to make the more accurate version, so... why not start with your idea and then include the other - original - version as well. This way a gamer cloud choose to play an accurate remake or a new and improved version.
Q: What is Dizzy's favourite movie? A: ET - the Eggstra-Terrestrial :v2_dizzy_happy: zxspectrum.com.pt

Pogie
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Pogie » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:48 pm

Eggcellent idea! It's beyond my technical ability to program that but I'm sure there'll be somebody around here who can help. I'm still focusing on finishing whatever I can with the goal of getting an "almost ready" version up in time for Christmas. Once I've done that and other members of the community have hopefully started putting the finishing touches on it (which it WILL need!) I'll draw the original map and hud and we'll take it from there.

I've been doing the work from all over the game so it's hard to give any exact and meaningful updates but it's looking good so far. My skills are limited but I've got things working and looking as they should and overall it's in much better shape than it was when it was just a map!

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:21 pm

universospectrum wrote:Hi

If you allow me to make a suggestion: why not make a two-in-one?
Lets face it: the most probable thing to happen is that no one will pick it up to make the more accurate version, so... why not start with your idea and then include the other - original - version as well. This way a gamer cloud choose to play an accurate remake or a new and improved version.
The real question here is - Would any programmer WANT to make the game 100% accurate with the jumping?
Pogie wrote:I'm still focusing on finishing whatever I can with the goal of getting an "almost ready" version up in time for Christmas. Once I've done that and other members of the community have hopefully started putting the finishing touches on it (which it WILL need!) I'll draw the original map and hud and we'll take it from there.

I've been doing the work from all over the game so it's hard to give any exact and meaningful updates but it's looking good so far. My skills are limited but I've got things working and looking as they should and overall it's in much better shape than it was when it was just a map!

Again, when a beta's ready, we can see where we go from there. :)

universospectrum
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by universospectrum » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:27 pm

[quote="Adz.M"]The real question here is - Would any programmer WANT to make the game 100% accurate with the jumping?

Not me, that's for sure! ;)

I, personally, would like to see the game 100% equal, except for the "Jumps" and "Levels" thing. If a programmer would choose to make it 100% equal, i could live with that, but i would prefer the normal/traditional jumps and the normal/traditional game with no levels.

If anyone is interested i can share the image where i merged the 4 Spectrum game levels altering the less possible in the game, but honestly it's barely the maps merged (only the boat front had a bit of extra work, but not much)...

It is, however, curious how the levels fit well side-by-side which let's me wonder if in the original sketch they weren't meant to be side-by-side

AndyG
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by AndyG » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:18 pm

Adz.M wrote:The real question here is - Would any programmer WANT to make the game 100% accurate with the jumping?
The only reason I would want to would be for the challenge and to show off how much I'm mastering the coding. But of course, if it's done with DizzyAGE, this would be really simple. For the same reason, I'd like to work out Treasure Island Dizzy's inventory system. (And this reason only; it's a pain in the arse!)

Saying that, though, I recall Jamie Douglas working out how to create Spectrum-style colour clash and basically no one was interested. http://www.yolkfolk.com/bb/showthread.p ... lour-Dizzy

Pogie
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Pogie » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:34 am

Quick question for Adz, when you added the dialogue for Theo at the end did you intend for the Spellbound style character to appear or did you want to keep the garden gnome man that was on the map?