Crystal Kingdom Dizzy Remake - DizzyAGE Community Project

Post information about your own Dizzy creations.
Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:55 am

SnTrooper wrote:With so many differences this doesn't seem like one of Peter's remakes. More like Grandad's Spellbound. Maybe it should be called "Almost Crystal Kingdom Dizzy".
Maybe so, perhaps a fan made remastered version or something may be a good way of putting it.

It would've been interesting to know how Peter would've handled this game if he did plan to remake it.
If you look at his early remakes like Treasure Island, you'll notice he didn't use the same colours for the graphics, nor did it have the option to switch HUDs.

Pogie
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Pogie » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:38 pm

So, I sort of get the impression that nobody else has the time to put into this. I have the time to at least begin this properly now so I'm going to get stuck in next week. I'll post an update every Sunday just in case anyone else can join in!

I'm reasonably sure I can handle most of what this game requires but I'm sure I'll have a few questions along the way - I'm really hoping somebody will be able to finish up any loose ends for me? :v2_dizzy_cool:

Noggin the Nog
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Noggin the Nog » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:25 pm

Hi Pogie,

I'd be happy to help you with specific problems, but I don't want to be spending a lot of time on it. (Also, I've never played Crystal Kingdom before.)

Pogie
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Pogie » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:56 pm

Sorry for the utter lack of updates here folks. Work continues, slowly, but it continues.

I solemnly vow to all here that "something" will be available in time for Christmas. It might be a couple of levels or maybe the whole game but we'll see.

It'll be finished faster than Spellbound was, that's for sure!!

universospectrum
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by universospectrum » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:05 pm

Hi all,

I've been away too long and didn't notice the news about DizzyVII (actually, i suppose there is something wrong with my inbox... since i didn't notice any reply notifications...).

Anyway, these are great news!!!

However as Adz.M says, there are indeed a great deal of changes! So many that i have to agree whit SnTrooper that it is not exactly a remake...

@Adz.M: please don't be mad whit my opinion because it is not personal!!! It's just an opinion.

Here it goes:

Since there will be a lot of work putted on to this, we should make it right.

By making it right i mean remake it the most equal possible.

Points to consider:
  1. Ok, everyone hated the new jumps (me too!).
  2. Everyone hated the levels thing (me too!).
  3. However, everything else was OK...
So... this is my suggestion:
Why not make an exact copy of the game (and i mean really exact! GameMap, Object positions, Puzzles and even Colors - because, since we're in Crystal Kingdom, the flor should be gray to emulate Crystal) having changed ONLY what nobody liked: The New Jumps and the Levels thing?!

I supose the old jumps won't be a problem to introduce and the Levels thing... well, I have to say i loved Adz.M's solution to this. And i bet that if the gamemap is maintained he'll easilly adapt it to the "no-levels" format without having to change much of the gamemap whit no problems.

I believe that's not everyday that a good remake is done so, if there is going to be work to remake Dizzy VII, please do it the most equal possible so everyone can call it a remake.

Sorry for the long post...
Q: What is Dizzy's favourite movie? A: ET - the Eggstra-Terrestrial :v2_dizzy_happy: zxspectrum.com.pt

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:21 pm

I've been away too long and didn't notice the news about DizzyVII (actually, i suppose there is something wrong with my inbox... since i didn't notice any reply notifications...).
If they're E-mail notifications, I'm afraid we've been having problems with the site's E-mail system since April.
However as Adz.M says, there are indeed a great deal of changes! So many that i have to agree whit SnTrooper that it is not exactly a remake...

@Adz.M: please don't be mad whit my opinion because it is not personal!!! It's just an opinion.

That's fine, I'm not mad at all. :)
I believe that's not everyday that a good remake is done so, if there is going to be work to remake Dizzy VII, please do it the most equal possible so everyone can call it a remake.
That's kind of debatable really, a remake doesn't always mean that it has a look exactly the same as the original, for examples, the remake of Dizzy TUCA or the PSP remake of Treasure Island Dizzy.

Since Peter left, I didn't think anybody else would attempt a DizzyAGE remake of Crystal Kingdom (one of my childhood favourites on the C64), So that's why I jumped in and built the map like a traditional Dizzy game (despite my limited knowledge of DizzyAGE).

Since Pogie's been looking into this game, according to his posts, I think he might be able to make it more closer to the original as you wish, we shall see. :)

universospectrum
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by universospectrum » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:34 pm

Hi,

glad you didn't get mad whit me :D .

It's one thing i do find here (and it's pretty difficult to find in other communities) is that people really are nice to one another and don't start "fighting" for nonsense things. That's what really keeps me comming back from time to time. I really can't stop saying how much i like everyone here :D - Really!!!

Anyway, back to the subject: It would be great if it would be closer to the original.

I've been playing whit the Dizzy7 map and found out that dispite the levels splint they are actually very easy to fit and merge side-to-side whit one another. Only very small changes - such as a wall delete - would be needed to make a "tradicional" game map out of Dizzy7. The only thing that took a bit more work was the boat.

Anyway, i think i'll wait and see as you said.
Q: What is Dizzy's favourite movie? A: ET - the Eggstra-Terrestrial :v2_dizzy_happy: zxspectrum.com.pt

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:25 pm

What was wrong with the level system in the game? It didn't bother me.
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

universospectrum
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by universospectrum » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:48 pm

Meph wrote:What was wrong with the level system in the game? It didn't bother me.
Hi Meph :D

It didn't bother me ... as much as the jumps' change. Changing the jumps really made me crazy.

However, the levels system was not what i was used to. I liked a lot to be able to walk thru all the already explorer land (sometimes scratching my head wondering if i missed somethig... LOL) which the levels system didn't allowed anymore. It kind of transformed dizzy into an ordinary levels-game or in 4 mini-dizzy-games.

Walking free thru an enormous quantity of "land" was great!!! (Yes, i did loved A LOT Fantastic Dizzy that "kind of" combined Dizzy 1-6!!!)

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:29 pm

Maybe the levels weren't big enough?

I thought it was refreshing, but then every dizzy game is quite different they all have unique qualities.
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in