Crystal Kingdom Dizzy Remake - DizzyAGE Community Project

Post information about your own Dizzy creations.
Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Crystal Kingdom Dizzy Remake - DizzyAGE Community Project

Post by Adz.M » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:43 pm

Since finishing Peter Teal's Spellbound Dizzy remake was successful (Again, special thanks of course to the peeps that made it possible :v2_dizzy_cheers :) , I decided to start up a new Community Project to get Crystal Kingdom remade on DizzyAGE.

Crystal Kingdom was one of my childhood games on the C64 and I was a bit disheartened to hear that many Dizzy fans here were not too keen on this game, mostly because of the way Dizzy jumped and it being split into 4 levels.
I figured that with the remake, they'd be a "8-bit" version of Crystal Kingdom that many would enjoy.

However, what I've got planned out will mean that this will NOT be an accurate remake of the game, I've built the map using the traditional 8-bit graphics, Dizzy will jump like he normally does and it will not be split into 4 levels.

You may notice the on the map I've made, the layout isn't exactly the same in some parts, I tried to make it so Dizzy wouldn't have to put up with the awkward layouts from the original game. Not to mention I made a slight mess of the underground section of Crystal Island.

:egg: DOWNLOAD HERE (v0.9) UPDATED - 13th August 2015
What's new?:
- All the new main menu options have been added.
- The game now has the original dialog box border.
- The Energy bar no longer drains rapidly.
- Dizzy should no longer respawn on any enemies after losing a life.
- The Level Complete and Game Over jingles now play in parts of the game.
- The game now has the inventory screen from the Spellbound remake.
- The issue with the Acid drops are now fixed.
- The Torch puzzle has been recoded.
- With the Parachute in the inventory, Dizzy now glides has he did in the original game.

There maybe more updates I've missed out on the list.

I haven't had a proper play through yet but it looks like we could be looking at a final release soon.

Once I've had a play through, I'll make some changes/clear outs to the bugs list on here, hopefully no more bugs can be found on this build.

The following bugs and pointers need to be addressed in any future versions:
(Last updated - 31st July 2015) TO BE UPDATED - BARE WITH ME
From Adz.M
-- Dizzy's dialog boxes when talking to the genie - "HMM, LET ME THINK" and "COULD YOU MAKE GRAND DIZZY TALK TO ME?" need to be in two separate boxes instead of one.

-- The Acid Raindrops that appear in the following rooms drop too fast, making it impossible to walk past without losing health:
UNDERGROUND (20,5)
UNDERGROUND (24,5)
UNDERGROUND (23,6)
AZTEC ZONE (29,3)
AZTEC ZONE (30,3)

-- The PARACHUTE doesn't act the same way as the original game.
When carrying the PARACHUTE, it only takes effect when jumping to reach the Sword on THE BIG JUMP screen.

-- The "GameOver" tune needs to play on the following events:
- When all three lives are lost.
- When the "Game Completed" dialog box appears

-- The "LevComplete" tune needs to play on the following events:
- When Grand Dizzy says "Good Luck" before giving you the Scythe.
- When Dizzy is standing on the Crows Nest and spots Crystal Island with the telescope.
- When Dizzy puntures the dinghy with the Pin.
- When you're told that ALL THREE treasures are placed correctly at The Alter.

-- The "Title" tune needs to play when Dizzy appears on the "CONGRATULATIONS" screen.

-- The following Game Settings need to be added:
- BORDER SELECT - The option to display either the Spectrum, Amstrad or Commodore border.
- DIZZY COLOUR - The option to give Dizzy Red or White gloves and boots.
- MUSIC SELECT - The option to make the game play music from either the Spectrum or the Commodore version.

-- The Inventory screen shows the pictures of the items like in Spellbound - Jamie Douglas managed to one for Mystic Forest - exactly the same as the original Crystal Kingdom.

-- The dialog borders need replacing with ones from the original game
From Pogie:
-- I have held off inserting the music Adz mentioned as the framework for selecting which version's music hasn't yet been inserted and that will obviously have an effect on what is meant to be played.

-- Ditto for the white or coloured Dizzy in the Dinghy, whip puzzle and closing sequence.

-- Grandad has also coded the Parachute puzzle to be a little more accurate with the original game but it still needs some work.

-- I'm still attempting to isolate the code for the inventory with item pictures, the selectable music and coloured Dizzy. Again, any help would be appreciated

-- There's the traditional (for these remakes) white/coloured Dizzy, selectable languages, borders and music menus to code. I don't even know where to begin with those!

-- If a cheat mode is coded please be aware that some puzzles rely on certain items being available only at certain times during the game so selectable items (as we had in the Spellbound remake) will cause some issues with the gameplay so it's probably wise to leave it out of this one! Extra lives, extra energy and extra cherries will not interfere with anything else though and might be a fun addition.

-- If you need to give anything some new ID numbers use the 700's, I think most of those are free - it's easy enough to check them with the map editor anyway!

Pogie
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Pogie » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:32 pm

Well done Adz! :)

I'm going to get cracking on the interactions and the items if nobody else has started already? We should all post our progress here (slow as it may be!) so anyone else working on this doesn't start something already being done!

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:29 pm

Pogie wrote:We should all post our progress here (slow as it may be!) so anyone else working on this doesn't start something already being done!
Good idea.

Some other things I forgot to point out.

:egg: The underground cave beneath Crystal Island is completely pitch black without the Torch on the original game.
On the remake, I included a burning torch in the room with the old man, I think the frustration with having to move the treasure around was what made me do that.
If anyone wants to remove that burning torch, be my guest.

:egg: Another bit involving the CKD_dialogs.txt. On the original game, towards the end you meet a bearded man who tells you to place the treasures in the correct spaces.
On the remake, I made that character Theodore - another spur of the moment I guess.

Rindex
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Rindex » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:48 pm

Hmmm... In my opinion, it is better for schedule to take from the updated version of the game Dizzy-7 of 2009.

Pogie
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Pogie » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:32 pm

Thanks for pointing that out Rindex :) It might be useful to use some of that one as a guide.

Rindex
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Rindex » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:07 pm

Here to you the game map with old graphics - http://maps.speccy.cz/map.php?id=Dizzy7 ... art=3&ath=

And here game with new graphics. Who did graphics in 1992 redrew it in 2009.

http://speccy-live.untergrund.net/?s=Cr ... gdom+Dizzy

Pogie
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Pogie » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:45 pm

Thanks again rindex, it's all useful stuff! But the bottom link downloads a file with a .TZX extension, what is this and what should we use to open it? :v2_dizzy_confused2:

Rindex
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Rindex » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:13 pm

ZX-Spectrum computer or emulators.

Win:
Spectaculator 8.0 (free 30-day trial) - http://www.spectaculator.com/downloads/
Unreal Spectrum 0.38.1 (free) - http://yadi.sk/d/BxAkziwKDtXXQ (F3 - load, ail+F1 - help)
SpecEmu 3.1 (free) - http://yadi.sk/d/QOlxOL5kMp6C5
ZXSpin 0.7s (free) - http://vtrdos.ru/emulz/SPIN_07S.ZIP

Android, Symbian, iOS, Win, etc:
Unreal Speccy Portable (free) - https://bitbucket.org/djdron/unrealspeccyp/wiki/Home

I think, there is enough. To choose the Spectrum-128 model (+2, +2A, +3, Pentagon-128). To load the TZX file and to press "Tape Loader" the ENTER key.

Кeys: Z, X, K, M, ENTER, SPACE

Lord Dizzy of Yolkfolk
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Lord Dizzy of Yolkfolk » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:58 pm

Well done Adz for kicking this of, I think be really great to be able to play Crystal Kingdom Dizzy with DizzyAge and more with the traditional graphics like the others rather than the change with that game.
Also not having it split in 4 levels, be just like normal where you can save progress.

I believe this will be an improvement on the original as a remake for playing and where there are a few things slightly different to get to achieve it, that it will barely matter.

Gonna be a lot of work ahead for those who can help with this project :v2_dizzy_clapping:

SnTrooper
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by SnTrooper » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:37 pm

With so many differences this doesn't seem like one of Peter's remakes. More like Grandad's Spellbound. Maybe it should be called "Almost Crystal Kingdom Dizzy".