Spellbound Dizzy Remake - DizzyAGE Community Project

Post information about your own Dizzy creations.
Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Bag of Magic Food » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:43 am

Adz.M wrote:Interestingly, I was going through the Amiga version of this game not long ago, and it appears there that Dizzy doesn't lose energy when he hits the ground too hard.
And the scroll next to the lake reads something like "Meet Willy the Whale, he looks kinda hungry..." or somewhere along those lines.
The way Dizzy goes the down windy shaft on the Amiga is odd too, when you have a boulder, Dizzy just simply goes down like he's on a lift.
Yep, I recall falling only hurts Dizzy on the ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, and Lite version for Commodore 64, and I think one Amiga version removed some of the ways falling could stun him. It was probably too much work to determine the correct coding for something that's so mean to the player anyway.

So often I wonder how some of the physics were "supposed" to work, rather than what the programmers settled on. There's this place called The Reserve Tank where on the Spectrum and CPC, you get spit out of the pipe on the right side of it, and you have to jump clear over the pipe to reach a fishing net on the left. The only way to do that without getting snagged back into the pipe is to get a super-high-jump to happen, which involves mashing the jump button in such a way that the water propels you higher at the right time, but I never did learn how to make it happen consistently. Is there a trick to it? I believe other versions made it much easier by allowing you to simply hold left.

I know on the Commodore 64 version I had a hard time understanding exactly what I had to do to not set the Spare Ore Crusher off, while I was pretty sure it was just a matter of not going too far to the left on other versions. Each version had different ways of dealing with the whale's sneezes optimally, too.

Pogie
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Pogie » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Bag of Magic Food wrote:Yep, I recall falling only hurts Dizzy on the ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, and Lite version for Commodore 64, and I think one Amiga version removed some of the ways falling could stun him.
I don't think falling in the DizzyAGE remake will stun the little egg! I just can't figure out to implement it and believe me, I've tried everything. I'm reaching the end of what my limited abilities will allow me to do and whilst I've managed to work through a lot of the issues previously listed in this thread (and a few that weren't!) there's some left that I can't solve.

I'm going to keep at it until the end of February as I've got a few more things to sort out properly and then I shall hand it back to Adz so (hopefully) somebody else can give it a final polish. I've done my best with this and hopefully it's in better condition than when I began!

I'll post a few questions soon regarding specific problems just to see if someone can offer a simple solution!

At the moment I would describe the game as practically playable and almost bug-free :)

Noggin the Nog
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Noggin the Nog » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:07 pm

I don't think falling in the DizzyAGE remake will stun the little egg! I just can't figure out to implement it and believe me, I've tried everything.
Hi Pogie, do you mean that falling will hurt Dizzy? Or that for some reason the stun sequence in DizzyAGE isn't working in the spellbound remake?

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:53 pm

On the 8-bit version of Spellbound, Dizzy takes damage by falling from a certain height.

Peter did actually manage to implement that on a DizzyAGE game that never got finished years ago, I remember him showing it to me once, but sadly I no longer have that game in my possession. :(

Pogie, don't worry if you can't finish it completely. :) Since this remake is now a Community project, I'll post a link to your version on this thread once It's uploaded.

By then we'll see where we go from there.

Many thanks for having a go, Pogie. :) Don't forget to add your name to the credits. ;)

Pogie
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Pogie » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:00 pm

Noggin the Nog wrote:Hi Pogie, do you mean that falling will hurt Dizzy? Or that for some reason the stun sequence in DizzyAGE isn't working in the spellbound remake?

Sorry Noggin, what I meant to write was that when Dizzy enters the stun sequence I haven't been able to code it so that energy is deducted! I know the command itself is incredibly simple but it must require other bits of code in other parts too because nothing I've tried has worked.

Noggin the Nog
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Noggin the Nog » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:38 pm

Pogie wrote:Sorry Noggin, what I meant to write was that when Dizzy enters the stun sequence I haven't been able to code it so that energy is deducted! I know the command itself is incredibly simple but it must require other bits of code in other parts too because nothing I've tried has worked.
Have you tried modifying the PlayerPlayStun() function? It's in player.gs.

Pogie
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Pogie » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:03 pm

Using the list of bugs from earlier in this thread what follows is a list of all the remaining issues that I have been unable to fix for one reason or another. I will try to upload the game data with all my alterations to Adz as soon as i can.

Coding problems:

~ Items in inventory should be opaque not transparent.
~ Option to be able to switch which version's music you want to use.
~ Option to be able to switch which version's HUD you want to use.
~ Option for if you want to lose energy when you hit the ground or not.
~ The final thing Theo says before he disappears is in a speech box that is too large for the screen.

I'm sure the five issues above are easily fixed, but I don't have the skills to do it.

~ Pogie's rescue doesn't work. Theo says that he has already done it when you haven't.
It works just fine when the fluffle collar is obtained by using the cheat menu but when done correctly, by using the net to catch Pogie, the problem occurs. I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA why this happens.

~ Theo rescue is wrong. He just disappears and doesn't appear in the final screen. I don't know if this is a normal problem or from using the cheat menu to rescue Pogie.
I've attempted to insert code in various places that would make him appear on the "Well Done!" screen but the game is having none of it. A more experienced programmer should be able to fix this.

~ With the "KILLER B'S" if you leave the smoking log in that room, leave the room and walk back and the bees still appear even with the smoking log. But they do disappear again if you take the smoking log and re-enter the room. ~ You shouldn't be able to get the honey if the smoking log isn't in the screen: Peter already had the message with the other in the game.gsl file he just didn't script it. If you try the bees should swarm around you.

I fiddled around with the first part of the B's coding a lot and almost had it sorted out and working how it did in the original game (using a combination of colliders in place of the open room function.) However, I was unsuccessful when I tried to code the second part and as they are all connected I think it's better to revert the whole thing back to how it was before I began messing with it!

The options to switch languages and between colours of Dizzy should be easy for a more advanced programmer to implement.

~ "Dizzy's "eating with Aqualung" sprite is missing."
The tiles are there in the correct folder and I've attempted to insert defines for them and write the code instructing the game to display them but with no success whatsoever. The end result is always the same - Dizzy simply disappears when he eats fruit whilst wearing the aqualung.

~ If you go to the right of the the beast without the talisman it eats you despite not being anywhere near it.
I have studied the code for the beast but once again I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA why this happens.

~ You don't lose energy when you hit the ground too hard.
It looks as though code is required in more than one part of the scripts. I think a more experienced programmer should be able to implement this.

~ When you get the GLOWING JAR by using the Cheat Menu the game crashes.
This seems to be caused by the bit of code that turns the single object of the "Glowing Jar" into two different objects: the lid and the empty jar, and calls a firefly to whatever screen the player is on when it is dropped. I think the problem lays in the code for the cheat mode where only a single object can be obtained at a time. Given that when an object is selected using the cheat menu it appears on the ground near the player in a "dropped" state I thought that by re-coding so that the object appeared directly in the inventory that the problem might be solved - it was not! I'm utterly stumped by this one.

~ Background of the inventory and message boxes should be tinted blue.
This is only a very minor problem and I expect that none but the very pickiest Dizzy fan will be bothered by this but I can't figure out how to change the colour in any way.

~ When you have the talisman the beast should move out to you when you enter the screen: Right now it warps out to you.
I've studied every line of the Beast's code and can't figure out why this problem occurs.

~ The whale's sneeze moves too slowly.
The code for this is complicated and I can't even see the part of it that deals with the speed, let alone how to increase it.

~ The Whale should continue to move when you are in the screens under it.
This is another extremely picky problem that doesn't really affect gameplay but I can't see how to fix it without doing something along the lines of coding another whale below the original one!

~ Theo's message asking for stars and a Yolkfolk's item shouldn't be displayed when it is last five.
Theo's code is too complicated for me to alter without it affecting other interactions. This is another problem for a more experienced programmer.

~ Dora doesn't turn around when she is rescued.
I'm not sure what she's supposed to do but it appears to me that there is no problem here.

~ Icon should be changed to the Spellbound Dizzy icon.
This can be done very easily but I don't know what the original icon looks like!

~ When you rescue one of the Yolkfolk by using the Cheat Menu they stay upset: It doesn't change their appearance so if you haven't talked to/helped them they are still upset.
I think this is actually appropriate. The Yolkfolk are upset that the player has rescued them by cheating! To me, this is not a bug. If it is decided that it does need changing then it's not something I know how to do.

Potential issues with DizzyAGE itself:

~ Splash screen of other Codemaster games is missing from the beginning.
I've created the splash screen tile but it doesn't seem as though it is possible to include it along with the Spellbound cover screen and the "attract mode" screen.

~ You shouldn't be able to walk in front of mushrooms or the TRAMPETTE.
The options for altering this are limited, and there doesn't appear to be a solution.

~ Fireflies can escape into adjacent screens. If you leave the screen with a firefly just as it is hitting the edge of the screen it goes into the next screen with you. Not accurate but also not really a problem except in the FIREFLIES screen.
This appears to be an unfixable quirk of DizzyAGE as far as I can see.

~ In THE RESERVE TANK you shouldn't be able to walk in front of pipe. In the original game when you jumped out of the water you would go flying up like you had jumped on a mushroom.
I have attempted to solve the issue with colliders but it doesn't work at all. I can't see any simple solution to this.

and finally...
~ There is air around the mushroom in THE BEAST'S LAIR: If water is added in there like it is supposed to be the mushroom stops working.

I've tried EVERYTHING to fix this. As it stands I've inserted two colliders into the map near the water's surface which move the player out of it and up onto the ledge. I doubt anybody but Alex will be able to fix this problem - it seems simple at first but seriously folks, it's insidious and will cause stomach ulcers!

Well, that's everything. As far as I can tell there are no other bugs in this game. I've tested every part of it several times and it appears to be fully playable. Good luck to whoever takes this on next - it's almost there!

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:12 pm

Here is the latest beta version tweaked by Pogie. :)

http://www.yolkfolk.com/media/games/yol ... ndBeta.zip

SnTrooper
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by SnTrooper » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:09 pm

Great job Pogie.

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:59 pm

My thoughts:
Pogie wrote:Coding problems:
~ Option to be able to switch which version's music you want to use.
See MFD for code to do this. It's just a simple matter of changing a variable in the menu and then changing the music it plays, depending on the value of the variable.
Pogie wrote: ~ Option to be able to switch which version's HUD you want to use.
Basically the same as above, just change which HUD is displayed depending on the variable.
Pogie wrote: ~ The final thing Theo says before he disappears is in a speech box that is too large for the screen.
Probably very easy, just change the position of the box.
Pogie wrote: ~ If you go to the right of the the beast without the talisman it eats you despite not being anywhere near it.
I have studied the code for the beast but once again I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA why this happens.
I would imagine it checks X co-ordinates and these are probably wrong.
Pogie wrote: ~ You don't lose energy when you hit the ground too hard.
It looks as though code is required in more than one part of the scripts. I think a more experienced programmer should be able to implement this.
It's probably possible to check how far dizzy falls by comparing the Y position where he last walked with the Y position where he hits the ground. If that's greater than a certain amount then take away some life.
Pogie wrote: ~ Background of the inventory and message boxes should be tinted blue.
This is only a very minor problem and I expect that none but the very pickiest Dizzy fan will be bothered by this but I can't figure out how to change the colour in any way.
I think you'd need to change the colour in the dialog box tile
Pogie wrote: ~ The whale's sneeze moves too slowly.
The code for this is complicated and I can't even see the part of it that deals with the speed, let alone how to increase it.
Try reducing the 'delay' property for it? Not sure if that will work or not, it depends how it's been coded.
Pogie wrote: ~ The Whale should continue to move when you are in the screens under it.
This is another extremely picky problem that doesn't really affect gameplay but I can't see how to fix it without doing something along the lines of coding another whale below the original one!
Just call the whale update code from the relevant rooms, as well as from the rooms it's actually in.
Pogie wrote: ~ Theo's message asking for stars and a Yolkfolk's item shouldn't be displayed when it is last five.
Theo's code is too complicated for me to alter without it affecting other interactions. This is another problem for a more experienced programmer.
There's a bit of code that counts the coin items. Use this to check if it's greater than 5. If so, execute the code as normal. If not, don't.
Pogie wrote: Potential issues with DizzyAGE itself:

~ Splash screen of other Codemaster games is missing from the beginning.
I've created the splash screen tile but it doesn't seem as though it is possible to include it along with the Spellbound cover screen and the "attract mode" screen.
You haven't numbered the tile, so it's not being loaded into the game properly. There's an error in the log file for this.
Pogie wrote: ~ Fireflies can escape into adjacent screens. If you leave the screen with a firefly just as it is hitting the edge of the screen it goes into the next screen with you. Not accurate but also not really a problem except in the FIREFLIES screen.
This appears to be an unfixable quirk of DizzyAGE as far as I can see.
Depends how it's coded, but I would have thought the easiest way to code would have been to establish a 'box' using X and Y co-ordinates, outside which they can't move any further in that direction.
Pogie wrote: ~ In THE RESERVE TANK you shouldn't be able to walk in front of pipe. In the original game when you jumped out of the water you would go flying up like you had jumped on a mushroom.
I have attempted to solve the issue with colliders but it doesn't work at all. I can't see any simple solution to this.
Can't you just place an invisible blocker there?
Pogie wrote: and finally...
~ There is air around the mushroom in THE BEAST'S LAIR: If water is added in there like it is supposed to be the mushroom stops working.

I've tried EVERYTHING to fix this. As it stands I've inserted two colliders into the map near the water's surface which move the player out of it and up onto the ledge. I doubt anybody but Alex will be able to fix this problem - it seems simple at first but seriously folks, it's insidious and will cause stomach ulcers!
Can you not bring the mushroom to in front of the water layer? put it on a higher layer maybe? Not sure if this would work, but it seems like the water layer is 'overruling' the jumpfix layer.
Pogie wrote: Well, that's everything. As far as I can tell there are no other bugs in this game. I've tested every part of it several times and it appears to be fully playable. Good luck to whoever takes this on next - it's almost there!
Good stuff! :tup:

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln