Spellbound Dizzy Remake - DizzyAGE Community Project

Post information about your own Dizzy creations.
Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:54 pm

- The music needs to be changed from the C64 version to the Spectrum version.
Do you have the Spectrum music?

Doesn't a file with Spellbound music (Dizzy 5) come with DizzyAGE? There's only one tune on the Spectrum version.
- Other underwater enemies from the original game are missing on this version. (i.e. the crabs and sea slugs)
Not looked at this

- Dizzy's "eating with Aqualung" sprite is missing.
Do you have the animation sprites for this? It doesn't come with DizzyAGE.

Both of these I'll look into asap. But It's unlikely I'll be able to get them converted into .tga format.

As for the exact whereabouts for each underwater enemy, the map of the original version should help. http://www.yolkfolk.com/site/showmap.php?map=74
- There are certain bugs with the windy shaft no matter how many boulders you have. One of the major ones is that you can't reach the level where Shamus and Grand Dizzy are with the three boulders.
Can you tell me exactly which sections you're supposed to be able to reach with each amount of boulders? I notice that if you're carrying two boulders and fall as far as you can, you're pretty much stuffed.

1 boulder - a far as the tunnel where the mine cart is, That's already sorted.
2 boulders - Well on the original version had the same issues but it did eventually get you back up to the passage where Theo's Grotto is.
I'd say stopping on the Theo's Grotto passage with 2 boulders would make things easier.
3 boulders - As far as the passages where Grand Dizzy and Shamus are. Not fixed, those passages cannot be reached.
4 boulders - To reach the ceramic lid. That's how far down the shaft goes. That's already sorted

The level with the passages leading to the Spare ore crusher and Control Room should be easy to get to anyway if you have 3 or more boulders.
- The Tasty Seaweed does not get rid of the bats in the spooky cave.
As far as I can tell, this hasn't been coded yet. It's probably pretty easy to do, but more information about what you're supposed to do and what is supposed to happen would be great.

Touching those bats is instant death with a message. "You were bitten by vampire bats".
Using the tasty seaweed, standing near the water water comes this message. "The bats take one whiff of the seaweed and retire to a safe distance!"
Afterwards, a still bat sprite appears between the green stalactites, it won't harm you.

Hope this helps. :)

I found another minor bug.
From "THE ORE CRUSHERS", you can't walk back down to "THE OLD MINE WORKINGS".

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:35 pm

Doesn't a file with Spellbound music (Dizzy 5) come with DizzyAGE? There's only one tune on the Spectrum version.

I think it does, now you mention it.

Both of these I'll look into asap. But It's unlikely I'll be able to get them converted into .tga format.

If you can give me bitmap images of the aqualung eating sprites, I can convert them to .tga format.

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:42 pm

Dizzy Eating with Aqualung sprites.

The missing underwater enemies.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:57 pm

I'm quite capable to coding the fish/crabs if that's any help.
Providing i know what direction their moving and how many rooms they're passing though.
And we'll need to decide what ID number to put them under so it doesn't clash with other tags.

I had a look at the map so it's easy to locate them, theirs quite a few fish and crabs.
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:57 pm

I think all the enemies stay in the room they're in.

Anyway, this is the latest beta version Jamie sent me earlier with the easiet bugs fixed, ready to be tested again.
Apologies I didn't post this earlier, forgot to check my Emails. :v2_dizzy_blush:

http://www.yolkfolk.com/media/games/yol ... ndBeta.zip

I'll have a go at this, later.

SnTrooper
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by SnTrooper » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:27 pm

I've had a go at this and have found a ton of more things to fix. I've been able to fix most things wrong with the map (missing grass behind objects, missing water material, adding enemies, fixing colors of objects, etc) and with graphics (made the crab, seaslug, and Dizzy, fixed the bear, fix some of the items that had black backgrounds instead of transparent, etc). I was able to fix a couple of coding things but with my skill level for that still in the "inept" stage there is a lot I can't do. I'm going to give it one more try before I give in and send it along.

Also if Adz.M or someone could get these missing graphics/animations so I could add them in that would be great.
  • The three fish (that where already placed) animations
  • The school of fish
  • The whale is missing his bottom flipper
  • The Leprechaun animation
  • The smoking log when on the ground is animated
And there are a few things I could easily figure out and fix if I could just look at the Lite version (like the Leprechaun animation for example) but it is password protected. Anyone know what Peter set it as?

SnTrooper
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by SnTrooper » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:07 pm

I've gotten a ton more done. I fixed the windy shaft, got the bats puzzle working, got all of the water creatures moving, I was able to figure out how to get all the graphics I asked for above (plus a few more I didn't realize weren't correct too, like the jellyfish), and about a dozen other things that I had found where wrong.

I want to set the enemies to move between the correct spots and then try to figure out the collapsing mine and a couple of other small things before I give up. Unless someone can tell me what is the password for the lite version that is.

EDIT: Enemies are all moving correctly! Now onto the rock fall.

SnTrooper
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by SnTrooper » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:03 am

WHITE FLAG! I've done everything I am able to do right now and have sent it along. Here are all the things that I or Adz.M (anything that is in quotes) found wrong that I wasn't able/didn't try to do.

[spoiler]SERIOUS PROBLEMS:
~ Poogie's rescue doesn't work: Theo says that he has already done it when you haven't.
~ Theo rescue is wrong: He just disappears and doesn't appear in the final screen. I don't know if this is a normal problem or from using the cheat menu to rescue Poogie.
~ "Dizzy's "eating with Aqualung" sprite is missing.": I've made the .TGA file but I can't figure out how to get it into the game
~ Rockfall in mines is missing: I've got it so it hurts you when you go in there and added the rocks to the map. It needs to be scripted so that when you enter the rocks fall randomly and stop if you leave.
~ If you go to the right of the the beast without the talisman it eats you despite not being anywhere near it:
~ Drowning, fish, crab and rockfall death messages don't show up: They are in the game.gsl and def.gs files but they don't work.
~ "You don't lose energy when you hit the ground too hard.":
~ readme.txt needs to be created:

MAJOR PROBLEMS:
~ There is air around the mushroom in THE BEAST'S LAIR: If water is added in there like it is supposed to be the mushroom stops working.
~ "From "THE ORE CRUSHERS", you can't walk back down to "THE OLD MINE WORKINGS".": However it was that Peter made the Up, Left and Right leaving room triggers a Down trigger needs to be created too.
~ Message about beast falling under the talisman's spell is missing: When you push the beast back halfway the message should appear. I've already added the message in with the others. This should only happen the first time.
~ Message about the seaweed tasting garlicky when you pick up the TASTY SEAWEED is missing: I've already added the message in with the others. This should happen every time you pick it up.
~ The shove food in mouth animation is missing: When you get food there should be a animation of Dizzy putting it in his mouth before chewing. I've made the .TGA files no clue how to implement it.
~ Dora doesn't turn around when she is rescued:
~ "In the Inventory box, the background changes from transparent to plain black when you use the arrow keys.": It doesn't just turn black, it darkens. My guess is every time you hit a key it redoes the script that darkens the box.
~ "With the "KILLER B'S" if you leave the smoking log in that room, leave the room and walk back and the bees still appear even with the smoking log. But they do disappear again if you take the smoking log and re-enter the room.":
~ You shouldn't be able to get the honey if the smoking log isn't in the screen: Peter already had the message with the other in the game.gsl file he just didn't script it. If you try the bees should swarm around you.
~ When you get the GLOWING JAR by using the Cheat Menu the game crashes:

MINOR PROBLEMS:
~ Background of the inventory and message boxes should be tinted blue: Fixing this may also fix the darkening inventory box problem. Or compound it. :umm:
~ When you have the talisman the beast should move out to you when you enter the screen: Right now it warps out to you.
~ The smoking log should get soggy when you enter any water:
~ In THE RESERVE TANK you shouldn't be able to walk in front of pipe: In the original game when you jumped out of the water you would go flying up like you had jumped on a mushroom. That is how you would get over to the FISHING NET. I don't even think that that would be possible to script correctly in DizzyAGE so this is probably something that will just have to be different.
~ Fireflies can escape into adjacent screens: If you leave the screen with a firefly just as it is hitting the edge of the screen it goes into the next screen with you. Not accurate but also not really a problem except in the FIREFLIES screen.
~ Option to switch between colored and white Dizzy: I've already made all the white .TGA files. There are also the mine cart ride, eaten by beast, and crushed images that would have to be switched too.
~ Option to be able to switch which version's music you want to use:
~ Option to be able to switch which version's HUD you want to use:
~ Option for if you want to lose energy when you hit the ground or not:
~ Icon should be changed to Spellbound Dizzy icon:

NITPICKY PROBLEMS:
~ Splash screen of other Codemaster games is missing from the beginning:
~ Items in inventory should be opaque not transparent:
~ You shouldn't be able to walk in front of mushrooms or the TRAMPETTE:
~ Message about the bees being pacified is displayed every time you enter the screen with the smoking log: It should only display if the bees are flying about.
~ The bear's message about the honey should be when he gets to the honey not when you first put it down:
~ The whale's sneeze moves to slow:
~ The Whale should continue to move when you are in the screens under it: I thought I knew how to do this but when I tried it crashed. :(
~ Theo's message asking for stars and a Yolkfolk's item shouldn't be display when it is last five:
~ When you rescue one of the Yolkfolk by using the Cheat Menu they stay upset: It doesn't change their appearance so if you haven't talked to/helped them they are still upset.[/spoiler]

Considering that I did almost as many things as I didn't, Methinks that Peter was exaggerating when he said he was 96% complete. :v2_dizzy_crazy:

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:42 pm

Well thank you for trying anyway, SnTrooper. :) Here's the link to the version you've tinkered with.

http://www.yolkfolk.com/community/Spell ... %20(1).zip

Looking at your list, I'm guessing you didn't use the version that Jamie tinkered with?

On the first page, I've now added a small list of beta versions attempted by other DizzyAGE Programmers.

SnTrooper
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by SnTrooper » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:51 pm

Adz.M wrote:Looking at your list, I'm guessing you didn't use the version that Jamie tinkered with?
No, I did use it.