DizzyAGE Easter Competition 2012 [ENDED]

Post information about your own Dizzy creations.
xelanoimis
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

DizzyAGE Easter Competition 2012 [ENDED]

Post by xelanoimis » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:33 pm

DizzyAGE Easter Competition 2012 has officially started!

As usual, you've got until May 1st to come up with the most wonderful Dizzy adventure ever! That will be tough ;)

As a difference from last year I decided to allow more entries per developer again. This way people with more games can see how their creations are appreciated. So we'll probably have a few more games registered. Let's hope we'll have more prices too.

Please spread the word around and maybe we'll see some new developers too.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Good luck to everyone!
Alex

P.S.
Please announce your entries in this thread too.

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:05 pm

Just to let everyone know there will not be an entry from me this year. No 'Silence of The Storm', no surprises, no entry at all.

Sorry if I disappoint anyone with that, but I didn't want any speculation after last years last-minute entry.

I hope others enter with lots of games though! :)

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Lord Dizzy of Yolkfolk
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Lord Dizzy of Yolkfolk » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:49 pm

delta wrote:Just to let everyone know there will not be an entry from me this year. No 'Silence of The Storm', no surprises, no entry at all.

Sorry if I disappoint anyone with that, but I didn't want any speculation after last years last-minute entry.

I hope others enter with lots of games though! :)

We were unexpectedly treated last year with your superlative entry & you've made the most games of anyone also so hopefully no one will be disappointed. I still find the day/night innovation highly impressive, particularly as linked to actual real time :)

My Enlightening Times Dizzy will fill in & see amongst others, hope everyone is really enjoying as I have my fingers crossed with this one as I feel is my best entry. Alex i've sent notification to enter :v2_dizzy_happy:

Lastly I will say how much time goes into making these games, I put so much into this one, I know you can do things generally a lot quicker with your deep knowledge but still we have to recognise the work & time that goes into them so perhaps a rest is deserved. I know i'm having one now :say_yes:

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:29 am

My entry this year is called 'When Dizzy Met Daisy' and with luck will cement my reputation of coming last in this competition for the third year running. I hope to have it finished by the end of February, but it's taking me longer than usual as the game can be played in two different versions.

For you sensitive souls there is the 'family friendly' version where Dizzy and Daisy are nice people who do nothing bad or illegal. Yes, you do play both characters and in this version even the Pope would give it his blessing.

For the rest of you there is the 'adult' version, where hopefully I will offend everybody at least once and possibly make you smile a bit too. Some of the puzzles are different or solved by a different method. Some puzzles have more than one way of being solved.

But worst of all, the game is set in 1972 and Dizzy has a large moustache.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:27 pm

^ :v2_dizzy_lol:
"Dizzy has a large moustache" that's first prize already.. i'm sold.

Im going to enter my "The Evil Wizard Zaks" game if it's completed.. i've reach development hell so it's on hold.
Quite a catchy title if i do say so myself.
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

SALEHMARLEY
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by SALEHMARLEY » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:18 pm

Moustach'ed Dizzy....reveloutionary. I'll be sure to play the rude version :shocked:

On the subject of rude versions....I am hoping that my entry (loosely termed and if I manage to get it completed), will not offend anybody. It has a couple of references to subjects that are, for want of a better word 'Taboo'.

Difficulties at present lie in the completion of my storyline...for I cannot lie, my storyline is a little sketchy to say the least, but it definately had some promise when I started it!!!

As will become apparent whilst playing (if you can be bothered), the more progress that is made, the better the coding skills become, the better the interaction is (with the exception of close on toward the end, as I am finding it difficult to create a puzzle that is both clever and using the 'little extra' that people would want to see).

Oh well....my fingers are crossed for completion toward the end of March...got to learn how to change the loading screen and the HUD yet!!!!?

PS. Hey Meth, looking forward to riding that Ghost Train so don't let us down eh???? and Lord...can't wait to properly mess round with Enlightening Times, like you said earlier....once your own game is complete, rest is well deserved (in other words i can enjoy others work:-))

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:56 pm

SALEHMARLEY wrote:On the subject of rude versions....I am hoping that my entry (loosely termed and if I manage to get it completed), will not offend anybody. It has a couple of references to subjects that are, for want of a better word 'Taboo'.
as long as you don't have Dizzy ditching Daisy for a dalliance with Dora (as one fan-game did), you should be fine!

SALEHMARLEY wrote:...got to learn how to change the loading screen and the HUD yet!!!!?
part of my tutorial game shows you how to do those. :)

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Lord Dizzy of Yolkfolk
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Lord Dizzy of Yolkfolk » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:30 pm

Grandad wrote:My entry this year is called 'When Dizzy Met Daisy' and with luck will cement my reputation of coming last in this competition for the third year running. I hope to have it finished by the end of February, but it's taking me longer than usual as the game can be played in two different versions.

For you sensitive souls there is the 'family friendly' version where Dizzy and Daisy are nice people who do nothing bad or illegal. Yes, you do play both characters and in this version even the Pope would give it his blessing.

For the rest of you there is the 'adult' version, where hopefully I will offend everybody at least once and possibly make you smile a bit too. Some of the puzzles are different or solved by a different method. Some puzzles have more than one way of being solved.

But worst of all, the game is set in 1972 and Dizzy has a large moustache.
Hey this should be fun, like the idea lol....I don't know how to do different versions where you can select either to play, I know Jamie did that in ETD or how to switch characters. Wonder what naughty things Dizzy got up to :D

1972 seems a little early..but then how old are Dizzy & Daisy suppose to be around ? Seems it's taken them decades to get Junior in the being lol (that can't be in the 'adult' version) :v2_dizzy_biggrin:

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:57 pm

i think Dizzy & Daisy would have to fertilise a chicken.
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

There's probably a 'proper' way to set different versions, but all I did was set up two objects for Dizzy to choose from and if he chose the 'adult' one then set another object with a status of 1 and used that object's status as an 'if' check at the start of each relevant action or collision. Colin Page has detailed how to set up 'switching characters' somewhere in the 'coding queries' thread. The hard part has been setting up puzzles that need both characters to complete them.

I chose 1972 so that I could have fun with the social attitudes of the times as in those days men were men and a woman's place was in the kitchen, but I've tried to be equally mickey taking of both sexes in the adult version.

Saleh, nothing wrong with using alleged taboo subjects, although from Jamie's comment you should assume that incest is not a game the whole family can play (sorry, couldn't resist that). Nor do you need a 'super puzzle' for the end part, just tidying up loose ends. If people have enjoyed the game play they'll still give a satisfied sigh when the closing credits come up.

Meph, get off your butt and get that jetpack to work. I really enjoyed Grimm Dizzy so looking forward to the Evil Wizard Zaks as it is such a catchy title.

Finally, once my game is up and running I'll start on Enlightening Times and give that a good playing.