Psuedo-3D in DizzyAGE!

Post information about your own Dizzy creations.
delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Psuedo-3D in DizzyAGE!

Post by delta » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:43 pm

okay, I've been idly wondering for a while how it would be possible to create a psuedo-3D 'effect' for top down games such as CoTM. I was going to have a crack at doing it between Christmas and New Year, but I was bored this afternoon, so decided to do it today.

I'm pleased to say that it worked straight away and what's more is fairly simple to implement, with only 50 new lines of code! :D

It's not perfect yet, and I have yet to work out how exactly to do walls, rather than just columns (walls are more complicated because they use more than one 24x24 'square' in the map), but the video below will hopefully give you a good idea of the principle.

I must admit, I thought it'd take longer than an hour and three quarters!

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WVoWp1lH3VY?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WVoWp1lH3VY?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Merry Christmas everyone! ;)

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Colin
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Colin » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:35 pm

That's a really nice effect! :v2_dizzy_thumbsup:

especially in under 2 hrs, to work 1st time!
could you build walls with blocks?
what happens when you put 2 blocks next to each other? do they show through each other?
ImageImageImage

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:45 pm

Colin wrote:what happens when you put 2 blocks next to each other? do they show through each other?
That's an interesting question actually. I don't *think* it can arise, because in theory the block on the outside will always be leaning away further than the block on the inside.

On the other hand, that does create a problem if you put two blocks next to each other and you want them to stay together, because they will lean slightly apart from each other!

That issue and the issue with walls are the main problems I've got with it, and the reason that the above video only shows columns. It's a nice effect, but I can't see it making it into any game because of those problems.

The fact is that DizzyAGE was never meant to do 3D effects like that, so we shouldn't be surprised if there are problems encountered when trying to botch the job! haha!

Lex_Hedley
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Lex_Hedley » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:23 pm

That's brilliant, another great idea created with DizzyAge :v2_dizzy_thumbsup:

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:38 pm

cool,
Nice if you want to hide things on the side of the columns , like switches or have a key hanging.. means the player would have to do alittle more searching around to find them.
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

frogandhat
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by frogandhat » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:52 pm

Very clever! :v2_dizzy_clapping:

Once again, you seem to be pushing DizzyAge in a different direction, so kudos to both you and to Alex for designing such a flexible tool! :v2_dizzy_cheers:

gavlaa
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by gavlaa » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:15 pm

Different class Jamie!!!

This really does open up so many new posibilities.

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:30 am

gavlaa wrote:Different class Jamie!!!

This really does open up so many new posibilities.
Nah it really doesn't tbh. It's good as a technical demo, but to actually have it working in a game would be a lot harder, for reasons I've outlined.

To be honest, it's a bit of a botch job coding-wise. I'm utilising part of the code that wasn't meant for this, and probably shouldn't really be used like that.

I just don't like saying that something can't be done :p

If anyone's interested, I'll post the code on here after xmas.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:27 am

It's like stepping back in time and discovering new things.. No doubt in the future when technology improves your vision of a 3d dizzyage game will come true, just think of the possibilities a new gaming experience that will change the world.

Your just scratching the sufface... after all who knew we would be able to play games like Dizzy in the first place.. they all thought Pac man was the limit..

:v2_dizzy_cheers:
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

xelanoimis
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by xelanoimis » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:01 am

Nice one, Jamie!
Just a matter of time until you build the next Crysis game in DizzyAGE :)