Dizzy - Escape From Castle Zaks [PROGRESS THREAD]

Post information about your own Dizzy creations.
Arjak
Free Range Egg

Post by Arjak » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:07 am

Edited first post with info on where to get the latest developments on Escape form Castle Zaks (my blog).

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:21 am

Thanks for putting our forum blog feature to good use. :) But your blogs been set to private meaning only moderators can view your blog entries.

There should be an option in the blog control panel where you can set it so everyone can see your entries.

Arjak
Free Range Egg

Post by Arjak » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:52 pm

Should be fixed, now. You will all hopefully be able to read the tale of woe that I've just posted.

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:22 pm

how's this coming along? for some reason i can't read any blogposts at the moment. something about a database error...

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Arjak
Free Range Egg

I'M BACK!

Post by Arjak » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:41 am

After, let's see...a REALLY LONG hiatus, I'm happy to say that I'm back to work on this game.

I've come a long way since I published that one-room demo. There are now a ton of rooms, and a lot to see and do in them. I will hopefully publish a new demo before long.

There's just one problem: There's a major bug right now where the game crashes with a gs_rand error after you lose and try to restart. It appeared fairly early on, and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. :v2_dizzy_confused2:

Besides that, things are going quite well.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:56 am

Arjak wrote:After, let's see...a REALLY LONG hiatus, I'm happy to say that I'm back to work on this game.

I've come a long way since I published that one-room demo. There are now a ton of rooms, and a lot to see and do in them. I will hopefully publish a new demo before long.

There's just one problem: There's a major bug right now where the game crashes with a gs_rand error after you lose and try to restart. It appeared fairly early on, and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. :v2_dizzy_confused2:

Besides that, things are going quite well.

I think that error might be cause by waterplay/bubbles, if it's trying to divide by zero or something, it would usually cause problems when trying to restart so im guessing that could be the problem. you'll have to give us more info.
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

Arjak
Free Range Egg

Post by Arjak » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:00 pm

Here is the error message in full:

EXCEPTION_INT_DIVIDE_BY_ZERO at address 0x42921a
gsRand < gsVM::Run < gs_runfn < cDizScript::CallHandler <
cDizPlayer::Update < cDizGame::Update < cDizApp::Update <
AppOnRun < e9App::Run < main

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:57 pm

Yep i can't divide by zero.
Have you added waterplay?

The last two times that error has appeared is when bubbles haven't been added correctly.. i think they need to be disabled.
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

ingolemo
Free Range Egg

Post by ingolemo » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:17 am

Note to self: I need to be more original when I'm thinking up titles.

Joe
Free Range Egg

Post by Joe » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:22 am

Just a thought (more of a guess because I've never used GS), could you be requesting a random number with a range of 0?

In C, and in programming generally, anything/0 (divided by 0) can't be computed and will usually cause a crash or exception. Similarly, anything%0 (the remainder of something divided by 0) will cause an exception, and possibly the same exception.

Also I know that a random number will usually first be generated as a 32-bit value ( in the range 0-4294967295 :O ) and then dropped down to the range required using the % operator - so if you asked for a random number with zero range, it would probably crash - I've definitely had that problem in other programming environments :)