Dizzy's New Adventure Demo [DOWNLOADABLE]

Post information about your own Dizzy creations.
Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Re: Dizzy's New Adventure Demo [DOWNLOADABLE]

Post by Grandad » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:19 am

How embarrassing. I watched the video up to finding the required item and realised I'm a total dummy, especially as that's just the sort of thing I put in my games.

Thanks Verm_V, I shall continue playing with an etxremely red face.

PS - just seen the start of the next 'area'. Love the background, it's beautiful. :tup:

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:30 pm

I've finished the demo. :)

There is one minor thing, and it involves the text.
"IT IS NOT USE HERE"
Just one letter missing.
You can try - "IT IS NOT USED HERE".

Also, if you're planning to do away with the DizzyAGE default SFX, I'd like to help and there are lots of Dizzy related Dizzy SFX on this page that's available in .OGG format.
-- http://www.yolkfolk.com/page/official-g ... nd-jingles

xelanoimis
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by xelanoimis » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:56 am

WOW!
Really great work!

DOBRESCUMihai19
Free Range Egg
Location: Bucharest, România, South-Eastern Europe, Northern Hemisphere.

Post by DOBRESCUMihai19 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:30 pm

Great graphics, indeed.

I haven't played much yet, but it looks great, much better than delta's fan games, which are my favorite for the time being. He's building them in an extremely beautiful way, although one has to have more than my mere Intelligence Quotient of 133 in order to finish them on their own. I have attempted that using his "Rail Road Dizzy" and I have given up when I was quite close to its end. What to do - limited intelligence.

Verm-V's demo game looks excellent and hopefully, it will also have an adventure in it, as I had the impression that it is only a shoot-'em-up. I am quite confident that there is also an adventure part that Grandad has already reached and that can get quite tricky.

With so many wonderful fan games, it is difficult to dare to create a brand new fan game on one's own. I see that a lot of experience has already been gained in this field during the latest thirty-one years. I think that I shall stick to playing for the moment, as I am mainly into beta-testing for the time being, with an unpleasant too-critical eye.

I have again a message to the original creators of the "Dizzy" series (OLIVER_Andrew and OLIVER_Philip - have I got them right this time, Adz.M? :cool: ) and that is: if they ever break through the mobile market, then may their endeavor look even better than Verm-V's. It would be lovely to see such gems being played on tablet personal computers and on smartphones. Well, maybe not on smartphones. They are kind of too small for such witty and complex games.

There is still one question that has been lingering in my mind since I have heard about the "Dizzy Adventure Game Engine" created by SIMION_Alexandru and SIMION_Cristina: is it open-source? Can I have a look at the source code? Is Verm-V's creation also open-source?
Best Regards,
DOBRESCU_Mihai.

Verm-V
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by Verm-V » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:02 pm

Adz.M wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:30 pm
I've finished the demo. :)

There is one minor thing, and it involves the text.
"IT IS NOT USE HERE"
Just one letter missing.
You can try - "IT IS NOT USED HERE".
Thanks.
I'm not very good at English. Perhaps before the release of the final version beta test by the english speaker will be needed.

Verm-V
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by Verm-V » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:10 pm

DOBRESCUMihai19 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:30 pm
There is still one question that has been lingering in my mind since I have heard about the "Dizzy Adventure Game Engine" created by SIMION_Alexandru and SIMION_Cristina: is it open-source? Can I have a look at the source code? Is Verm-V's creation also open-source?
C++ Source code of DizzyAge v2.4 available here: http://www.yolkfolk.com/dizzyage/download.html

In my demo I use my modification of Dizzyage - v2.5 beta. But the source code of this version is not yet public available, because I'm still being modifying it and some bugs are possible.

DOBRESCUMihai19
Free Range Egg
Location: Bucharest, România, South-Eastern Europe, Northern Hemisphere.

Post by DOBRESCUMihai19 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:15 pm

Verm-V wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:10 pm
DOBRESCUMihai19 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:30 pm
C++ Source code of DizzyAge v2.4 available here: http://www.yolkfolk.com/dizzyage/download.html

In my demo, I use my modification of Dizzyage - v2.5 beta. But the source code of this version is not yet publicly available, because I'm still being modifying it and some bugs are possible.
Thanks for replying so quickly on this thread, Verm-V.

Unfortunately, my experience in Computer Graphics has been basically limited only to my memories... just memories... that are still lingering in my mind since the olden times of the Computer Science faculty. I have never really gone in-depth in that area.

My longest experience in the Software Development domain has been related to Compilers and Translators. I have changed so many fields since then that I can barely say that I really master any specific area at all.

I am no longer really programming. You know what they say - "Programming is hard, let us Shell-Script". I really love the Shell-Scripting area in environments such as the "Microsoft" "Windows" Command-Line Preprocessor ("CMD.EXE"), the "Microsoft" "Windows" "PowerShell" ("POWERSHELL.EXE") or the "CygWin" "Bourne-Again" Shell-Scripter ("BASH.EXE"). Stuff for kids.

Coming back to the "C/C++" area sounds now like "N.A.S.A." Rocket Science to me. I have noted the http://www.yolkfolk.com/dizzyage/downlo ... rc_v24.zip Uniform Resource Locator. If and when I get inspired to look into it, I might wonder what you have been doing during the latest thirty-one years of Computer Graphics that have been ignited by our Venerables OLIVER_Andrew and OLIVER_Philip.

I see that SIMION_Alexandru and SIMION_Cristina have done all their best to ensure that their work remains well-documented and accessible to everyone. They have even been writing their own book - the whole paraphernalia. Such intricate and dedicated pieces of work may inspire only tremendous respect for such innocent and well-intended people. I cannot be but proud of them, as they bear the same nationality as mine.

Until the next great coding adventure, I shall be just playing and beta-testing. I hope that you will not mind my interventions, Verm-V. In my experience, a well-versed tester is the most hated person within the Software Development process. What to do - the eye just sees.

Also, as most people who have been knowing me have noticed, I am much better at reading and writing rather than coding. I have never really reached the Multithreading Software Applications, but I think that I might correct you as Adz.M has already done. It does not harm anyone. After all, we are coding for children. It is actually "Dizzy" and the "Yolk Folk" who taught me the English Language. I was sixteen years old back then. Other people were even younger than that.

Congratulations again, Verm-V, for such an exquisite piece of art. Along with delta's creations, you are really encouraging the return of the character that we have all been long waiting for. :v2_dizzy_cheers:

EDIT: It looks like not only the "Dizzy" Cartoon Character is returning, but also something else that has been even longer awaited. They call it "Shree Nishkalanka" in the Olden Sanskrit Puranas, such as the "Shree Kalki Purana".

All the Major Predictions have expired long ago - Six Years Ago already -, so what will happen now?

I am playing your Creation, Verm-V, and enjoying it a lot. Let me cross my Romanian English with your Russian English.

I already love your Keen Sense of Humor: "Now a saw actually looks like a saw".

I have two suggestions for improvement: "It is not help here" should rather be "It is not helpful here."

Also, "bring diamond" should rather be "bring me a diamond".

Coming back to the World Situation, what on Earth is going on right now? British Air Fighters are constantly stopping Russian Airplanes from surveilling the Black Sea. The Romanian Politics is a Complete Mess. Nobody understands what on Earth is going on. I do not even want to imagine what could be happening in Russia nowadays.

Of course, there is no Cold War returning to us. It is a Warmer War.

EDIT: I have played a little more on your Tiny Little Demo, Verm-V, and I can see that you have really created a Gem down here. It is not only a Shoot-'em-up, but it has also quite Complicated Puzzles - either that or I am getting rustier and rustier as time passes by.

Still, I feel tremendous joy when I solve one of your Tiny Little Witty Puzzles, as this is the part that I enjoy - the "Adventure", as they call it. You have managed to combine somehow the "PacMan" or "Mario" or any other Arcade Type of Game with our Olden "Dizzy", which is great!

If you remember the "Matrix" Movie Trilogy, I felt that the Fighting Scenes were really boring. I enjoyed the so-called Spiritual Mumbo-jumbo, which was actually trash, but still, they were much more enchanting than the Kung-Fu Scenes.

I am not an expert in the Grammar of the English Language, Verm-V, but I guess that the "Did you bring my diamond?" question could be rephrased rather to the "Have you brought my diamond?".

I shall keep on correcting you, Verm-V, if you do not mind. It is really rare that a "Dizzy" game looks as good as yours. I am sure that our British Pals will jump on correcting me when I fail in correcting you.

I have just bought - with great, great difficulty as if I was attempting to buy the whole Capital City -, TOLSTOY_NIKOLAYEVICH_LEV's "War and Peace" from a French-Belgian-Luxembourgian Hypermarket. I do not know if you have also read it. It is a Huge Book, almost One Thousand Pages in length, just fine for a Cold Long Winter ahead.

EDIT: Unfortunately, I am not wiser than Grandad and most probably also not older than him. I think that you have to insert a Hint somewhere, Verm-V, about that Continuation of the Game that is otherwise stucking the Usual Gamer. I have told you already - Limited Intelligence, at least in my case. Most of us have not played more than Four Hundred "Dizzy" Fan Games during our lives. Even those who have, have somehow based their Solutions upon some Clues.

It is most embarrassing to me to resort to watching "YouTube" Video Recordings. I feel like cheating in an exam. But cheating appears to be practiced everywhere in this Modern World. I am myself correcting my own Posts using the "Grammarly" Software Application.

I have two more Additions, Verm-V. "Your can't drop this now!" should drop the "r" character. Also, "I worrie" should be rather spelled as "I worry".

As Foreign Languages, I know only the English Language and the French Language, Verm-V. I know only to read the Russian Language.

EDIT: Also, try to use the Determined Article, "the". There should be "the key" and "the chest". Also, "wont" should be rather spelled as "won't".

EDIT: Also, "Maybe it open" should rather be spelled as "Maybe it opens".

Tell you what. Before releasing the Game to the General Public, try to find a Native English Language-Speaking Beta-Tester. I am not a Native English Language-Speaking Person. Give them your Language Files and ask them to correct them.

EDIT: I have finally finished the Demo Version, Verm-V. Great Graphics indeed, Luis Zuno. It must have taken a lot of time to draw them.

Somehow, this Game is reminding me of an Olden "ZX-Spectrum" Game called as "Chronos - The Lord of Time". It had a similar Horizontal Scrolling Technique.

EDIT: As I believe that the Members of the Moderating Teams and of the System Administrative Teams will sleep much sounder if I refrain from Multi-Posting on their Forum, I am now moving the contents of the next post to this one. No one seems to be interested in these comments anyway.
DOBRESCUMihai19 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:15 pm

EDIT: I have finally finished the Demo Version, Verm-V. Great Graphics indeed, Luis Zuno. It must have taken a lot of time to draw them.

Somehow, this Game is reminding me of an Olden "ZX-Spectrum" Game called as "Chronos - The Lord of Time". It had a similar Horizontal Scrolling Technique.
I have attempted to refrain from Multi-Posting on this Web-Site, Verm-V, but I do not know if the "phpBB" Forum notifies even the Edits of the Posts. So there you go - I have quoted my own previous Post and replied to it. It feels a little bit like banging one's head against one's own personal wall, but hey - this is Computer Science. :hitwall:

Check my additions out and see what you can do. They are not much and all of them are quite minor. But still.

You have been quite a revelation in this Muddy World, Verm-V and Luis Zuno. It is clearly visible that Russia is really leading the world nowadays in all the fields. Just - please - keep those airplanes a little bit out of sight over the Black Sea. :p
Last edited by DOBRESCUMihai19 on Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Best Regards,
DOBRESCU_Mihai.

Nowhere Girl
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Nowhere Girl » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:31 pm

OK, my suggestions.
The English version is... well, sometimes not very grammatically correct. It requires some polishing.
The graphics are amazing and, compared to them, the lives/health bar is very simple. Perhaps it would be a good idea to change it for the final version? Some non-standard Dizzy health bars I liked:
- "Mystic Forest Dizzy" - it was always a single-color line, but it gradually changed color from green to red if Dizzy lost some energy.
- "A Pirate's Life Dizzy" - in fact it had a few variants (at first some aspects of the game were very buggy for some players with older computers, including me. Now it works without any problems, it started working well for me after I switched from my older laptop to the laptop which is currently sitting in my closet, to be used only as back-up - for example, if I need to work in a library - it was super useful when I was translating a book and needed to check quotes from other books in their existing Polish translations). The one I like best is the red-purple-blue bar with a pulsating heart and an ECG line running through it. There are also special effects in the sequence when Dizzy is killed and then returns to life. (One of the guys from the Polish Dizzy site - defunct now, unfortunately - was fascinated by it when checking it. I wrote a walkthrough and he tried to simplify the playthrough process by cheating - he could somehow enter infinite lives in the game. And... it made the game get stuck in that moment; he realised that "the game actually killed Dizzy and then proceeded to check out why".)
- "The Ring of Zaks", "Night at the Museum", "Dizzy - the Last Hero" and several other games by that Russian team - a red-yellow-green bar, but with more gradation between shades.

EDIT: perhaps a nice idea would be to keep the format of the health bar, but make it more colored? Instead of red "cells", yellow "cells" and green "cells" - "cells" gradually changing color, from red, through tomato-colored, orange, yellow-orange, yellow, lime... and so on.
Last edited by Nowhere Girl on Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nowhere Girl
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Nowhere Girl » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:36 pm

Actually, a little new comment. I think the title sounds rather banal. Maybe it would be a better idea to change the final release's title? I don't have an idea yet (and I admit that actually a lot of Dizzy games have uninteresting, uninventive titles), but something I can already see is how Dizzy moves through different worlds - maybe something about it?
You know what this game reminds me of? At least a little. The 1991 game "Elf". Unfortunately, I've never been able to complete it - too hard... It's more of a platform game, but with a considerable adventure component and I never knew what to do either. And I recall trying to replay it a few years ago... and not even knowig what key to press to start the game! (If any of you know this one and have any advice, particularly cheats... ;))

EDIT: OK, I've finished the game, both in the English and Russian version. (Btw - this game doesn't use the typical "Dizzy script", but I really like the "Dizzy Cyrillic script" used in a lot of Russian Dizzy games.) I really like the ending sequence, it reminds me of "Dizzy and the Other Side". Actually, I first played it when the full version was already out, but I also checked out the unfinished version, with only the first act available, and it finished with a nice peek into further parts of the game, with a dialogue meant as player talking to the developer: "Wow! Please, one more screenshot?" "No!" "Please..." - and so on, something like that.

Nowhere Girl
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Nowhere Girl » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:22 pm

One more thing (you see how I get into a posting mania once new things spring into my mind?). When Dizzy is transported to the graveyard, it would be great if epitaphs on the tombstones could be read by pressing Enter when standing in front of it (maybe you could ask other forum users for ideas?). I love those comments in a lot of games... some are funny (black humour) and some make you shudder...

"A Pirate's Life Dizzy": "Here lies Lady Scully. Believed flying saucers weren't real till the vicar's tea party. It hit her in the head and now she's dead".

"Monkey Island" (also repeated as an Easter egg in "Heroine's Quest"): "For the most comfortable afterlife, contact Stan's Previously Used Coffins at 555-KOFN".

I don't remember where, but also repeated in "Quest for Infamy": "Here lies an atheist: all dressed up and nowhere to go".

"Loom": "Softshard, wife of Luscent Bottleblower, here attained Final Clarity".

"King's Quest 4": "Strong and athletic was my frame;
Far from my native home I came,
And manly fought with Simon Byrne;
Alas! but liv'd not to return.
Reader, take warning by my fate,
Lest you should rue your case too late;
If you have ever fought before,
Determine now to fight no more."