What are your earliest Dizzy memories?

A place to post interesting information to the community.
Claires Kempston Joystick
Free Range Egg

What are your earliest Dizzy memories?

Post by Claires Kempston Joystick » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:51 pm

Hi,

I can remeber going to my local newsagents and going throught their speccy games and finding Treasure Island Dizzy. Not having enough money, I went running home to borrow ?1 from my Mum so I could go and get it!
Then after waiting for the game to load, I went right, straight into the water and died! X)

Thats my earliest Dizzy memory, whats yours?

Claire :v2_dizzy_happy:

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:09 pm

ahhh gad i don't remember...

probably playing Fantasy World. or me and me friend swapping tips on how to get further in Treasure Island

OrdosAlpha
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by OrdosAlpha » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:54 am

I'd have to say tripping the pit trap (to the right of the start point, with the skeletal remains and danger sign) in Dizzy: The Ultimate Cartoon Adventure, thus ruining my game. And spending a good 10 minutes figuring out how to pass it flawlessly also springs to mind.

AndyC
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by AndyC » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:29 pm

Playing Fantasy World Dizzy on a friend's computer, and being very impressed by it as a game. It wasn't all that long before I had the chance to get myself a copy, and jumped at the chance.

I remember a couple of months after I was introduced to Dizzy I watched an episode of Casualty on BBC1, and one of the early scenes in that episode featured one of the characters sitting at her computer playing FWD. I remember thinking what a good choice of game they'd made for that scene.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:19 pm

Hears my long winded, story that takes ages to get to the point and then trails off into some useless info about my childhood.. but its all round Dizzy...

Any Aunt had a........ something.. Amiga i think.. i remember there was no colors it was just different shades of green, she had the first Dizzy, Magicland, Fast food and wick Snax. but when i visited and played on the machine i was always drawn to the dizzy games.. kinda cute little cartoon character with a fun name.. Fast food was the one i played and enjoyed the most being quite young, but i do remember struggling along with Magicland and couldn't get anywere but i always loaded it up, along with the others. Only the First Dizzy i didn't really try as it was to hard and i couldn't get past the first few screens without dieing on an apple or a stupid flying thing.. so that game has always been a mystery to me.. and it had a very odd front cover.

However later on as i got older i got my C64 and with a massive box of games Spellbound was to be found (and bubble bobble which then became my number one) .. again still couldn't do anything..lol in fact i got further then i did a few months ago when i tried it.

the only Dizzy game i knew about was also Treasure island dizzy which a friend lent me, it was for the Spec but i kept trying to get it to work on my c64..

I don't even know why earlier in the year i decided to look dizzy up... think i was just searching of other old games to play as i was board one weekend and all those fond memories were brought back... Awwwwww
I do remember when i lived in Hampshire (must have been about 7) asking a friend/school bully if he had any dizzy games.. said he had tons.. turned out to be name of a make then the Egg.. .lol and i went round his for that! how disappointing (yes he was a one of those friend one days nasty bully the other... and the dam teacher made us work together.. lucky for me i kept the final project which wasn't easy to keep as he really wanted it... i still have it today.. Victory

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:26 pm

A few of my earliest memories would be the day I got the Spectrum+ when I was 6 when I got Dizzy TUCA. I kept going right trying to find out what's over there, I didn't know how to get over the well then :p

Turning 8, I got the Commodore 64 that included Fast Food, MLD & CKD, my mum kept listening to Blur's "Parklife" album when I was playing CKD lol.

Then, when I ended up in hospital, I think I was ill or something. Anyway, the Ward I was in had an Amstrad and one of the games was FWD.
I spent most of the times walking around finding out where I'm supposed to go etc. I didn't know how to get past the Armrog.

I bet you guys can guess the game I chose to play, the day I got the Dizzy Collection and Dizzy's Excellent adventures for Spectrum :p I spent ages on the Spectrum that day. ;)

Then all the way to 2001, I discovered the Dizzy Zone (now gone sadly) I found out that Fantasic Dizzy was available for the MegaDrive, I eventually found it on a trip to Plymouth once, spent yonks playing it :p

Lastly, in 2003, I joined the Dizzy Community :p

xelanoimis
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by xelanoimis » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:29 am

Magicland was my first. A really different experience, like no other game I've played before. At first, we (me and about two or three of my Z80 friends) didn't know exactly how to play it. There was nobody to shot at, not too many rooms to explore and just a few objects. And we weren't too good at english... But as soon as we discovered what is it all about, we couldn't let it go. Each of us was playing it by himself and then we were meeting to talk about what we discovered and where everybody got stuck, etc.

Then came the other Dizzy games, not at all in an official release order. Games were not too easy to get then. You had to know the right people, give something in exchange and beg at one's door to give you the latest tape in town :)

Spellbound was the apogee, but I'll always remember what a bad business I did to get one of the arcade Dizzy games (probably Dizzy down the Rapids). The guy was telling about the latest Dizzy game he has, and we keept on asking if it's really with Dizzy. I don't remember what I trade for it, but it want't easy. And when I started it and saw no story, no items to use, no characters to help... it was the biggest dissapointment!

ingolemo
Free Range Egg

Post by ingolemo » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:11 am

I honestly can't say. I have very vague memories of watching my Dad play what looks like Dizzy TUCA, though at the time I couldn't have been older than 2 or 3, and I might just be imagining it.

What I can say for sure is that at about age 6, my Dad dug out the old Spectrum and gave it to me as a present. The first thing we played was Fantasy World; I got drunk and plunged into the moat...

Mayboy
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Mayboy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:25 am

My dad bought me the first box set, i can't remember asking for it so i have to thank him for making such a good choice :v2_dizzy_tongue2:

The first game i played was Treasure Island which i got straight into..thats it really. I also remember writing the tape counter numbers down inside the box so i could play the game i wanted on that side, anyone else do that? Ahh the days!
http://www.yolkfolk.com

The place for Dizzy fans!

Mataeus
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Mataeus » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:36 pm

Meph wrote:My Aunt had a........ something.. Amiga i think.. i remember there was no colors it was just different shades of green...
Like my posts then ;)
That would have been the Amstrad by all accounts. I remember that had a cheap, crappy green-screen monitor. The colour one was much better. Is this right? Did Dizzy come out on the Amstrad?

Anyway, my earliest memory of Dizzy was... Probably... I actually don't know. Fantasy World or Magicaland. Unsure.

But anyway, my earliest FULL dizzy memory was completing Magicland for the first time! It's still fresh in my mind... Going down into Hades, dealing with the Devil, collecting all the Diamonds, having one life left for about... Ooo.... An hour. And then.... The Congratulatory screen full of text! I had done it! Ranks right up there for me with completing Last Ninja II without any cheats. Oh yes.