Malware

A place to post interesting information to the community.
DOBRESCUMihai19
Free Range Egg
Location: Bucharest, România, South-Eastern Europe, Northern Hemisphere.

Malware

Post by DOBRESCUMihai19 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:53 pm

Hi, Members of the "Dizzy" Community Forums Web-Site.

One might argue that "Dizzy" and "The Yolk Folk" are LEGACY. Alright, after thirty years, nobody may claim that they are still brand new.

Then, another piece of LEGACY such as "Symantec"'s "Norton Security Online" Software Suite should know about it.

Unfortunately, today's Cloudy mess attempts to know everything about any small little null bit out there - as useless as that might seem. Unless a certain sequence of bits is widespread, then it is considered dangerous.

I wanted to play today a nice piece of "Dizzy" adventure - you know, those short snowy winter days when you feel like breaking up the routine a little bit - when Mister NORTON_Peter and his "Symantec" friends have shouted at me that something is wrong in the "Dizzy" world.
2018-01-20_15-35-58_-_File_Insight.PNG
File Insight
2018-01-20_15-35-58_-_File_Insight.PNG (239.55 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
After you read their comments, you understand that what they call as "the wisdom of crowds" is just a simple form of paranoia. Nobody can control the Internet.
2018-01-20_15-52-19_-_WS_Reputation_1_Symantec.PNG
"WS.Reputation.1" Explained
2018-01-20_15-52-19_-_WS_Reputation_1_Symantec.PNG (44.69 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
If you want to hear more about this Issue, then you eventually find a Web Form that one is supposed to use in order to extinguish the flames of this so-called "Issue".
2018-01-20_16-01-42_-_WS_Reputation_1_Removal_-_Removing_Help_Symantec.PNG
Removing Help
2018-01-20_16-01-42_-_WS_Reputation_1_Removal_-_Removing_Help_Symantec.PNG (44.86 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
Of course, the Web Form is no longer available, as also, for instance, the document explaining how to restore an item from the quarantine is no longer available.

It is a weird world that we are living in nowadays, where nothing is secure for more than thirty seconds.

How can we let the world know that there is nothing evil in the innocent bits of the "Dizzy.EXE" Executable Binary File?
Best Regards,
DOBRESCU_Mihai,
"United_D.M.!_Software for the Future".

frogandhat
Hard Boiled Egg

Re: Malware

Post by frogandhat » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:39 am

Sadly, Norton is well known for false positives. Best bet is to use a better (and cheaper) AV such as Avast imho.

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:25 am

I agree with Mr Frog; use something better. Why bother paying for something you have no control over without jumping through a million hoops.

Personally I use Eset Nod which will block any unknown software from being downloaded ...but always gives me the option of allowing it through.

As far as I'm concerned, the only good Norton is one that goes 'brmm, brmm' when you twist the throttle :v2_dizzy_cheers:

DOBRESCUMihai19
Free Range Egg

Post by DOBRESCUMihai19 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:21 pm

Hi, "frogandhat" and "Grandad".

My intention was not to discuss here the advantages and the drawbacks of various Anti-Malware Software Suites. I was just concerned about the fact that something as simple as the "Dizzy.EXE" Executable Binary File is not yet known in the current Cloudy Internet World.

In my case, Mister NORTON_Peter and his friends from the "Symantec" Corporation have brought the "Norton Security Online" Software Suite almost freely, as a bonus provided by the Telecommunications Operator.

I have also been using for a few years the "A.V.G." Anti-Virus that is now known as the "Avast" "Internet Security" Software Suite that is currently maintained by my Czech neighbors who definitely have less experience in decrypting Evil Algorithms than the American Owners of the "Symantec" Corporation. Present Eastern Europe is not that far from the Former East-European Communist Block. Only the names are changing from time to time.

Recently, I have used the "E.S.E.T." "Nod" Anti-Virus only for Supplemental Checks for Malware. Its usage can be safely and easily automated for Administrative Purposes. In the past, there used to be a Corporation for which I have been working for a while that was using it, but I do not remember gaining much confidence in it from that experience.

Since I am not the author of any of these "Dizzy.EXE" Executable Binary Files, it would be inappropriate for me to start a crusade for claiming their Harmless Nature.

I trust that you do possess much more experience in this current Cloudy Internety Thingy that should be informed somehow that "Dizzy" is still alive and kicking. In a secure way.
Best Regards,
DOBRESCU_Mihai,

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:15 pm

Been using Norton for years, never had any trouble it's great, gotta watch for cheap alternatives, they're cheap for a reason. But i never pay the Norton asking price per year.. i just tell him it's too much and to give me a lower price and they always do.

Anyway, Not had issues with Dizzy and Norton, post a link the one you were trying and i'll try it, see if my Norton flags it.

DOBRESCUMihai19
Free Range Egg

Post by DOBRESCUMihai19 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:26 pm

Hi, "Meph".

Thank you for writing on this Thread.

However, I see that you have not been able to understand this Issue.

I cannot provide any Link to you. Just try to perform any kind of Scan over a Folder that contains any of the "Dizzy.EXE" Executable Binary Files. Or just scan any such File, directly.

I am talking about the File that is generated by the "Adventure Game Engine" created by my co-nationals, that Family of Romanians, SIMION_Alexandru, and his Cristina.

See what kind of Messages your Version of Anti-Malware Software Suite from NORTON_Peter's LEGACY is producing.

There is nothing evil in Dizzy. It is just that the present Cloudy Internety Thingy should be informed about the fact that those bits are safe.

See if you can find a Link where you can submit that File and then ascertain its Harmless Nature.

Even though you are not its Author, I see that you have created a Number of Games that are using it.

Cheers and Good Luck.
Best Regards,
DOBRESCU_Mihai,

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 pm

I have scanned a few Dizzy.EXE files with my Norton and it's not finding any fault, and all the games load without Norton blocking them. I can't seem to recreate the same error you're getting. :confused:

DOBRESCUMihai19
Free Range Egg

Post by DOBRESCUMihai19 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:14 pm

Meph wrote:I have scanned a few Dizzy.EXE files with my Norton and it's not finding any fault, and all the games load without Norton blocking them. I can't seem to recreate the same error you're getting. :confused:
|
+___Hi, "Meph".
|
+___Thank you again for taking some time to write on this thread. And also thank you for testing this Security Issue.
|
+___Security is tricky these days. Most people would generally be afraid of games simply because they might behave as plain Trojan horses.
|
+___In my Software Installation, NORTON_Peter's LEGACY has been complaining in the beginning. In order to get over this behavior, I have added the folder of the games as an exclusion in the auto-protection feature of this Anti-Malware Software Suite.
|
+___After a while, I have removed the exclusion. Now, NORTON_Peter's LEGACY does not complain anymore. I have not submitted any kind of piece of information to "Symantec"'s Cloud.
|
+___Of course, this does not make much sense, but Computer Science is becoming more and more complicated as time goes by.
|
+___Moreover, this Security Issue does not affect the Oliver Twins, the "CodeMasters", Limited Corporation, or the "Blitz Games", Limited Corporation. It is simply referring to the "Dizzy" Adventure Game Engine.
|
+___I suspect that there is something peculiar related to this version of the Anti-Malware Software Suite. It is offered by the Telecommunications Operator. Probably you have a different version.
|
2018-02-09_16-00-41_-_Norton_Security_Online_-_About.PNG
The "About" Pane
2018-02-09_16-00-41_-_Norton_Security_Online_-_About.PNG (23.99 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
|
+___ADDENDUM_I:_Security must be feeling quite tight these days, isn't it?
|
+___I do not know how it feels in the Olden Mother Albion, as Her Great Poet, BLAKE_William, was calling Her, but this Thread which Topic is Security is behaving strangely.
|
+___I wish that someone might ask one of our Proud Members of the Team of System and Network Administrators to take a look and see what is happening.
|
+___For some weird reason, people keep on writing Posts, then deleting them, so that the Notifications are not showing any new Post. I can imagine that this is just some kind of Trick that one might play in order to draw somebody other's attention.
|
2018-07-06 21_53_30-Malware - The Dizzy Community Forums @ Yolkfolk.com.png
Misleading Notifications
2018-07-06 21_53_30-Malware - The Dizzy Community Forums @ Yolkfolk.com.png (62.69 KiB) Viewed 412 times
|
+___Coming back to the Topic of this Thread, it is still unclear to me if the "Dizzy.EXE" Executable Binary File is safe or not.
|
+___I am now using a Free Version of "Avast"'s Anti-Viral Solution. It has never complained so far about anything.
|
+___However, this Anti-Viral Solution is also silly. For instance, while firing up the "K.D.E." X-Server of the "CygWin" Environment, it has complained about a few Executable Binary Files as being harmful. By mistake, I have allowed it to block the "KDEInit5.EXE" Executable Binary File, which should have been moved to the Virus Chest. Upon the Mighty Opening of the Virus Chest, it was looking Mysteriously Empty.
|
+___Therefore, nothing is Really Clear these days. I guess that talking about Security is drawing a lot of Unnecessary Attention.
|
+___Anyway, I still request the Administrators to check the Notifications. Thank you in advance.
|
+___ADDENDUM_II:
|
+___We have also checked the "Dizzy - Adventure Game Engine" Software Application using the Paid Full Version of the "Avast Internet Security" Software Suite.
|
2018-07-19 18_30_01-Avast Internet Security.png
A Happy Clean Report given by "Avast"
2018-07-19 18_30_01-Avast Internet Security.png (9.83 KiB) Viewed 311 times
|
+___To our Utter Amazement, we are happy to report that it got away without any kind of warnings.
|
+___Still, it would be nice if a Great Soul would find a way to report the "Dizzy.EXE" Executable Binary File to "Symantec"'s Cloud as being harmless.
|
+___We live in a very Clouded way these days.
|
Best Regards,
DOBRESCU_Mihai,