Yolkfolk Status Update (Dec 2017)

A place to post interesting information to the community.
Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Yolkfolk Status Update (Dec 2017)

Postby Adz.M » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:04 pm

As we're nearing the end of 2017, we thought it was about time we gathered up what's been going on here in the last few months.

(Apologies in advance if I've missed anything out.)

-----------------------------------------------------

The Dizzy Fansite:
Just so you're all aware, this site has not been forgotten about.

The whole of Yolkfolk.com had some dramatic changes at the start of this year following the unexplained wipe of some of the fan games in our database.
So after a server change and restoring a backup of the site, work began on making a more fuctional version of Yolkfolk.com.
Peter Teal has done a fantastic job with this build aswell.

Most of the pages are already complete and have been awaiting placement on the newly organised site's navigation for quite some time.
Unfortunatley due to time constraints and other commitments, neither of us have had the chance to fully finish the rest of the work.

While I don't know when this will be looked into together again, I am confident that progress on the rest of the site will eventually be seen to.

We are still often active for when various news or other items crop up, especially on our Facebook and Twitter pages, and on the Facebook groups "Dizzy : Retrogaming" and "Codemasters : Retrogaming".

(UPDATE - 10th Dec) With many thanks to mrs2919, we now have the Jungleland Dizzy demo back on our database *phew*!

The Community Forums:
It'll come as no surprise to everyone that the forum is still gathering cobwebs when it comes to activity there.

Now, I'm fully aware that there's been a few complaints about the forum's new theme on the feedback thread, mainly the unfinished "no unread posts" icons on the "Fan Games" and "Random Ramblings" sections of the Forum's Index page.

Again, all those will be adressed whenever possible.

DizzyAGE Easter Competition 2017:
I genuinely have no idea what has happened with this year's DizzyAGE competition.

The competition was announced in May and the voting stage was supposed to be starting back in August.

Even though there were a small number of DizzyAGE games that can be entered this year, the competition page on the DizzyAGE site was never updated and we haven't heard from Alex Simion since the competiton's launch.

So sadly for that reason, we have to declare that this year's competition has been cancelled.

At this moment in time, we are not sure if the DizzyAGE Easter Competition will continue in the future.

Following The Oliver Twins:
Of course with Dizzy's 30th Anniversary, Philip and Andrew have been doing a lot of travelling, interviews and presentations all over the place.

Back in October, the Olivers returned to the Centre of Computing History in Cambridge to do a presentation as part of the 35th Anniversary of our old friend the ZX Spectrum.
During their presentation, they shared an update of their new game "Wonderful Dizzy" with some fantastic artwork by Pit.
(screenshot from YouTube)

Wonderful Dizzy was first announced during the summer. This is the first Dizzy game in a long time that The Oliver Twins have planned and designed.
The development of this game is being done by the same team who brought us the fantastic Spectrum remake of Crystal Kingdom back in Easter.

Also mentioned on the day is a Spectrum port of Dreamworld Pogie which is said to be coverted by WASP who back then were involved with Kwik Snax.

Both games will be made specially for the upcoming 'ZX Spectrum Next'.

Back in November, the Olivers attended the final 'Dizzy Day' at the National Videogame Arcade in Nottingham where they also shared the update on Wonderful Dizzy, along with mention of a Sam Coupe port of Treasure Island.

We will certainly be keeping a watchful eye when the Spectrum Next comes out sometime next year
(Fingers crossed It'll be in time for PLAY Expo Blackpool in February!)

This year has a whole hasn't been too bad.
We certainly had the pleasure of raising our eggcups to celebrate Dizzy's 30th.

The release of Mystery World was certainly a fantastic treat, aswell as seeing some brilliant fan games and fan artwork.

Lastly, this has been mentioned on the Forum and social media already - We like to send our deepest thoughts to the Russian Dizzy fans following the death of Rindex back in July.

Rindex was a Spectrum artist who was involved with various contributions and graphics from the Russian DizzyAGE games like "Dizzy - Night at the Museum" and "Dizzy - The Last Hero".
His presence will be missed by some here in The Dizzy Community.

It is hard to predict what the new year will have in store for us, but we hope to see some more eggciting Dizzy adventures for many fans to enjoy.

I think that's about it for now.
Here's to another 30 years of Dizzy!
We wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
:v2_dizzy_cheers:

mrs2919
Your Backpack is Empty

Re: Yolkfolk Status Update (Dec 2017)

Postby mrs2919 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:29 am

Hi All

I do have zip file with Jungleland Dizzy demo

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Postby Adz.M » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:16 pm

mrs2919 wrote:Hi All

I do have zip file with Jungleland Dizzy demo

Welcome, that's great news. :)

Will you be able to E-mail it to me?

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Postby Adz.M » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:09 pm

I've got the zip file.

Thank you so much! :v2_dizzy_yahoo:

mrs2919
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby mrs2919 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:53 pm

You're welcome. :v2_dizzy_cheers:

quiggie
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby quiggie » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:57 pm

I'd just like to say i'm eternally grateful this site exists & continues to do so, it has brought me many wasted years of pleasure! Thanks to everyone involved in every aspect of Yolkfolk xxx

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Grandad » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:17 am

it has brought me many wasted years of pleasure!

Along with Johnny Walker and Jack Daniels :v2_dizzy_lol:

quiggie
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby quiggie » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:29 pm

Grandad wrote:
it has brought me many wasted years of pleasure!

Along with Johnny Walker and Jack Daniels :v2_dizzy_lol:

Yeah Grandad & i was tea-total till i started playing your games :v2_dizzy_cheers:
Talking of which i'm off to drink my way thru Mensa Dizzy (before [cough cough] going thru the help thread) :v2_dizzy_blush:

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Grandad » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:02 am

You'd better get down to Lidl and stock up your 'whisky cellar' Annie, as I'm doing the final testing of my updated version of 'Daisy Goes Solo' which is about four times as big as the original game and has 'proper' backgrounds, more animations and loads and loads of new puzzles. Hmm, perhaps you'd better get down to the wig shop too! :dizzy_rolleyes:

quiggie
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby quiggie » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:05 pm

Well as much as i'm excited about a massive Daisy Goes Solo it also has me a bit scared & sweaty :v2_dizzy_biggrin: but look forward to it none the less!!!!!
Should have known a game of yours with the word Mensa in would leave me drunk so off to the help thread :v2_dizzy_confused3: