Dizzy in Unity

A place to post interesting information to the community.
Lurker
Your Backpack is Empty

Dizzy in Unity

Post by Lurker » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:18 am

Hi everyone I am a long time lurker here,

I have started creating a new Dizzy game using the Unity engine, and so far everything is quite promising. If anyone is interested in this project please send me reply. Right now, I am trying to create the inventory system. I am hoping to finish this project around the new year. If you know the C# language, any help is welcome.

Noggin the Nog
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Noggin the Nog » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:09 pm

Welcome to the forum! :)

I can't help with your project I'm afraid, I know nothing about C#, but I wish you luck! Will you be sharing the finished game on yolfolk.com?

Lurker
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by Lurker » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:52 pm

Noggin the Nog wrote:Welcome to the forum! :)

I can't help with your project I'm afraid, I know nothing about C#, but I wish you luck! Will you be sharing the finished game on yolfolk.com?
Yep I will share the project and the game here. I really like this community. Once the unity project is complete, it will be possible to create Dizzy games with minimal knowledge of C#.
I came up with this idea last year, when I created a platformer game for my class. That game had only a couple of levels and had very simple game mechanics. Walk, Jump collect berries... I realized that I could create Dizzy game using those mechanics. Only missing thing was the graphics, and the inventory system.

Currently I have managed to create a very simple inventory system, by watching several youtube videos, and added animated sprites. It is very basic at the moment. Dizzy can only collect items, but he cannot drop them, also the inventory itself is quite large. (30 slots at the moment)

I remember that having 3-4 item slots was very tedious during the old Dizzy games, so I made it bigger. But I am not sure if it is too big.

I will try to implement as much as possible from the past Dizzy games, such as the aqualung, umbrella, the mining hat...

I have some extra mechanics in mind, but I am not sure if I will ever implement them. Such as buying or selling items, double jump, light vs dark mechanics, freezing temperatures...

frogandhat
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by frogandhat » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:28 am

Wow, sounds good. Sadly I know no C# so would not be able to assist you, but good luck with this.
Insert signature here

Lurker
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by Lurker » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:09 am

Thanks everyone for their support. The inventory system is almost complete. But there is still a lot to do, and many many bugs to fix. :tup:

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:44 am

Hi there.

I have no knowledge of Unity or C# myself but I wish you all the best with the project and I look forward to seeing It's progress. :)

Lurker
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by Lurker » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:40 am

If it is going to make anyone feel better, I don't know much about C# either. I am just watching internet tutorials and merging existing code. But luckily I made my first major breakthrough today. The inventory items now can be dropped. (There are still some problems every item has the same name which is going to be a problem in the future)

Current features:

The inventory can be opened and closed with the push of a button.
The multiple inventory items of the same type can be stored.
Dizzy can jump and move with mostly complete animations.
The screen can be scrolled.
Dizzy can pick up larger items.

Problems

The items can only be dropped with the help of a mouse.
I still don't know how to texturize landscapes, as a result I only create flat surfaces. This may be the flattest Dizzy game ever.
I might eventually need some help with the sprites. If you know some sprite artist who is planning to get into creating video games, I might help that person with the C# codes.

That is all for today. :)

GORT
Free Range Egg

Post by GORT » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:42 am

This sounds pretty cool. I have a question about models. What file types can the Unity engine use? I know some editors can use 3ds or obj files. I can create those in the program anim8or.
~SMDM~
Zaks Castle(NES) MIDI 70.25% (Still being delayed...) :v2_dizzy_dry:
Thief 2 Dizzy Project: (Redoing it all from scratch...) :v2_dizzy_rolleyes:
TROTB2: (Beta-testing almost done...) :v2_dizzy_cool:

Lurker
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by Lurker » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:01 pm

This might sound a bit disappointing, but it will be 2D. I am using the Magicland Dizzy models. Still thanks for your interest.

GORT
Free Range Egg

Post by GORT » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:35 pm

No disappointments here.
Sounds like it's going to take some time to get it the way you want it. I wish you the best of luck on this project. :v2_dizzy_thumbsup:
~SMDM~
Zaks Castle(NES) MIDI 70.25% (Still being delayed...) :v2_dizzy_dry:
Thief 2 Dizzy Project: (Redoing it all from scratch...) :v2_dizzy_rolleyes:
TROTB2: (Beta-testing almost done...) :v2_dizzy_cool: