The Oliver Twins hint at a new Dizzy Adventure

A place to post interesting information to the community.
Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

The Oliver Twins hint at a new Dizzy Adventure

Post by Adz.M » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:45 pm

On the 16th September this year, this question appeared on the Oliver Twins' Facebook and Twitter feeds:
Just wondering... would people like a new Dizzy game by The Oliver Twins?
Then today (26th September), this announcement appeared!
I'm really eggcited !
Daisy will be joining me in my next adventure.
Reveal... 24th October! (more details soon)

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Is it possible that a new Dizzy adventure is coming soon?

We will keep an eye out for any more updates along the way. :)

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:10 pm

Just learned that on the 24th October that the Oliver Twins are attending a full day retro gaming event at The Centre for Computing History in Cambridge - 11am to 11pm.

Maybe this is when they'll reveal the news about Dizzy, along with news of an upcoming Kickstarter of a book about the Olivers.

From the event page on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1660891207481759/
A full day retro gaming event at the The Centre for Computing History in Cambridge on the 24th Ocotber 2015 - 11am to 11pm with obligatory curry in there somewhere as well.

Retro Gaming Celeb talks to be announced - but rest assured there will be some great names.

There will be arcade machines, retro systems, LAN gaming, competitions, prizes to be won and more.

The Kickstarter for 'The Oliver Twins' book will be launched during the talk by the twins who will be accompanied by many of those who assisted and converted their games back in the day. A free Buffet will be provided to those who attend the talk and launch, and a special gift will be given to those who pledge on the Kickstarter at the event.

Ticket price for the day is £10 per adult, £6.50 for children. There are only 125 places up for grabs and all ticket sales money goes to the museum.

You can buy the Fusion Retro Books published to date at the event and get them signed by the celebs who attend! (or you could bring your books along for signing if you already own them).

The tickets will be on sale on the museum website from 9am on the 2nd October 2015 - first come first served as they say.

Address:
Rene Court, Coldham's Rd,
Cambridge CB1 3EW

Phone:01223 214446

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:03 pm

wow sounds great, I hope this one will be more successful than the last one.
And a book should be a great read also.
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

geekgirl101
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by geekgirl101 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:02 pm

My thoughts on this is have the Oliver Twins left it too late? It's been over 20 years since the last "new" Dizzy game, that's if you don't count the iOS/Android version and its reception wasn't very good, and the community came to a standstill over 10 years ago. Also last time I asked during a session at the Replay Expo in Blackpool if there'd be a new or remastered Dizzy game Phil said it was most unlikely, so nobody was expecting a new Dizzy game in the near future. Very few of todays' generation of gamers I've spoken with know about Dizzy, it's only the die-hard fogies with families that pass on the legacy to the next generation and I think that we're just too small to be significant and many have already moved on. We no longer have a community.

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:06 am

I agree with your thoughts to some extent Geekgirl, especially as in their essence, Dizzy games are quite 'simplistic' compared to the massive gameplay of more modern games and if the Oliver Twins were considering a new Dizzy game as a money spinner then sales probably wouldn't cover costs. However, they have been replaying their earlier games on line and perhaps it's more a case of nostalgia than profit.

However, I do think that the spirit of Dizzy lives on with the large number of fan games being made and published on this site since Alex & Christine introduced DizzyAge - lots of which are as good as (and in some cases, better) than some of the original games. So, in my opinion, the community isn't dead and as long as people continue making fan games then this 'old fogie' will be very happy.

...especially if Meph gets off his backside and makes 'The Crystal Maze' :v2_dizzy_clapping:

frogandhat
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by frogandhat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:34 am

Grandad wrote: with the large number of fan games being made and published on this site since Alex & Christine introduced DizzyAge
Most of which were written by .....? :p

Yes, I am surprised that the Olivers may be thinking of another Dizzy game (but pleased of course). My feeling was that the mobile version didn't set the world alight, and the Kickstarter failed as well of course. Guess we will find out more in just under 3 weeks.
Insert signature here

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:04 pm

Plenty of Dizzy fans out there who don't get involved in online communities or fan games, and with many old retro games being re-issued recently and various platforms kids have been getting hold of them and enjoying them.
Plus plenty of adults continue to play video games so getting back to their childhood and playing something different might be quite appealing.

And not everyone likes shooting zombies, blowing things up, beating people senseless or sports. Dizzy would appeal to quite a lot, and millions of people play 'simplistic' games now thanks to phones, tablets and social media so there is a possible fan base. Dizzy being a cute character as well helps draw people in who have maybe never seen and heard of him.

...especially if Meph gets off his backside and makes 'The Crystal Maze'
I've been coming up some pretty cool puzzles, making sure their all written down for when I get back too it, I'm just snowed under with work this year it's been crazy.. id love to get back to it, might be a major project once the winter settles in.

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:32 am

Nice one Meph. Hope the work keeps on coming too. :v2_dizzy_thumbsup:

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:04 pm

Yep, all booked till Christmas, and some ready for spring. Tend to get 3 busy years and then a duff one.
Been trying to do some puppetry too which I started putting together 2 years ago. I'm hoping to have January and February off so I can do fun things lol

Although if there's a new official Dizzy game on the way nothing will get done lol :cool: