Dizzy walkthroughs/longplays

A place to post interesting information to the community.
Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Bag of Magic Food » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:47 am

Aww, man, just the day after finishing all that, I felt like playing around in level 4 with a password, and I decided to reassure myself that the shrine keeper couldn't say only two treasures were in their places. Then it occurred to me that leaving two treasures in the same place might count for something, and sure enough, he had a message about that! So I had to rerecord the last two parts just to be more complete, sorry.
Part 7
Part 8

Lemmy556
Free Range Egg

Post by Lemmy556 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:21 pm

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Bag of Magic Food » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:40 am

Hey, I thought of a few more games you can add to your "Others" list:

Dizzy Three and a Half
Treasure Island Dizzy Crash Special Edition (I'm not sure how complete this is, I'm unclear on the objectives of this game)

Would anyone like me to record more Dizzy games on Atari ST or on MS-DOS, or is someone already planning on doing one? I've been considering some, but I find it annoying to plan an efficient route, especially when all the games have already been longplayed on Amiga where they look and play almost identical, and so I feel I have to vary the route in some way to keep my videos from looking too redundant. I was even considering playing the PC games in EGA mode just to show off more differences! Then Fantasy World Dizzy also offers CGA mode... Yikes...

I know Treasure Island Dizzy and Fantasy World Dizzy let you switch between music and sound effects with the press of a button on the ST and Amiga, so it would be possible to play them with sound effects and mix the in-game music into the finished video the way I did with Crystal Kingdom Dizzy. (Can the PC version of Fantasy World Dizzy play music in-game too? I couldn't find the option for it.) Did any other 16-bit Dizzy games offer alternative sound effects modes like that, or was it just those three?

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:30 pm

Some of the Videos listed above are also in the Videos page on Yolkfolk :)

http://yolkfolk.com/site/page.php?id=20

Keeping in mind there maybe several other Videos not listed on there.

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Bag of Magic Food » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:33 am

Wow, thanks for linking to my work! Now my videos will be more visible.

I found out the Commodore 64 port of Fantasy World Dizzy allows switching to sound effects only with the M key too, but from what I've played so far it seems about as worthless as the sound effects mode in Treasure Island Dizzy on NES, as the only sound I got was of Dizzy walking.

What's more interesting is I spent all last night fiddling with WinUAE and finally coaxed it into running The Big 6! I got the ROMs I needed, I figured out how to make my input remapping stick, and I'm even close to being able to record a proper video of a game from the ISO. (You would not believe how hard it was for me to find how to keep WinUAE from stretching or cutting the picture in some stupid way.) It's just too bad that Input Recording doesn't appear to be working yet, so I think I'll have to record directly to AVI as I did with SainT. Of course Fantastic Dizzy would be the most worthwhile game to record--all the rest are basically identical to the standard Amiga versions, only they get through the loading screens faster and any credits screens mention who did the CD32 conversion. Actually Crystal Kingdom Dizzy seems to have lost some features, as I couldn't find an option to play sound effects, and I saw no title cards before levels! But I am thankful they load fast now. The "Game Genie" password screen has also been altered to facilitate entering a password without a keyboard, allowing you to move a highlight across a row of letters. But... I still don't know where you're supposed to get passwords for that game! When I beat level 1, it just showed the story card of Dizzy setting off on his adventure, then went straight to loading level 2, no passwords displayed!

It is cute how the background for the game selection menu is a crude mock-up animation of Dizzy roaming an area of the game you're selecting. And I like how you can read a transcript of the instruction manuals for the games, too. That's important for learning how to access all of Fantastic Dizzy's features!

So Fantastic Dizzy was the one that got a serious update, and while I haven't finished it yet, I have noted some of its new extras. There's a somewhat different intro from Purple Hare, and you select your language from a parchment list, but it includes 6 languages. (Was Japanese in the other Amiga version too?)

The status bar has been expanded a little so that it now shows both your carried items and your damage meter at the same time, which is handy. The adventure areas still have a narrower viewing area, but the backgrounds now have true parallax scrolling, just like on Genesis! There might be some more subtle graphics updates that I haven't noticed yet because I'm not familiar enough with the standard graphics, who knows.

I'm sure most people will agree the coolest new feature in Fantastic Dizzy is the save option. Mashing Rew and FFw together brings up a parchment menu where you can choose to save the game, load the game, or quit the game. It's just your typical RAM "savestate"--save anywhere you want, and loading that save will bring you back to that exact spot, with all the progress you had already made! I don't think it works in any mini-games though, and you only get the one slot, and I don't even think it persists after you reset the game. But at least you can use it to backpedal from a fatal mistake if you save wisely, or use it as your "Continue" after Game Over.

The Prince's Secret Sign can be obtained in this version, with the same message from Prince Clumsy when you give him the cow. But I haven't found how to get the Purple Rain Bonus yet, as dropping the sign in either of the pools under the graveyard did nothing; it just sat in the pool. Did somebody else research this already?

No, there's still no "Dizzy Down the Rapids" style sub-game, that area's still walled off. I don't think a 16-bit version of that ever got off the ground. I'm not sure if any secret button codes still work, but then I'm never sure how well what I have mapped to each input port will work in this emulator.

Oh, and the CD audio... I'm not quite sure what's supposed to be going on with that. The game selection menu has the MagicLand Dizzy remix playing (but MagicLand Dizzy itself uses the original Amiga tune). Then if I start Fantastic Dizzy, I get this one new song that plays for several minutes no matter where I go or what I do. Then that song fades out and another one plays for another few minutes. Then it's back to the previous song, and it just keeps going on like that I think, looping those two songs endlessly. I don't have a real CD32 on hand to check, so can anyone tell me if that's the normal behavior, or if my ISO is set up wrong? There are never any sound effects in the game or music from previous revisions of Fantastic Dizzy; it's just been those two new songs so far. Sure, new music is nice to listen to, but I don't see the point if they're not determined by the part of the game world you're in, they're not based on any other Dizzy music, and their use doesn't allow for more game sounds to play. I could make my own playlist of a lot more than 2 songs and listen to that instead, and it wouldn't be any less appropriate than how the game's music is now.

As it is I think I would need to dub the music back on after recording game footage, as WinUAE doesn't want to record those raw audio tracks into AVI. (There's a funny inversion if I record with sound disabled to improve performance, where it doesn't stop me from hearing CD audio as I play, but when I play back the recording, it's the Amiga sound that returns and the CD audio that's missing.) The way WinUAE plays that audio seems rather disconnected from the rest of the emulation, as it never slows down even when the game slows down from the emulation being too much for my PC. So dubbing the music in post-recording would be about as authentic as how WinUAE produces it for me anyway. Or heck, just dub in whatever music you want, because it couldn't match up to the game any worse than how the ISO tracks do now, right?

So that was my experience with Big 6 this past day. Sorry for rambling so long, but I wanted to write down some concrete information for everyone while it was still fresh, in case anyone else was considering taking on a CD32 Dizzy longplay. I'm still doubtful that I'll ever really want to record a longplay of Big 6, but the updated Fantastic Dizzy might be a fun one to get together with friends and "Let's Play."

Lemmy556
Free Range Egg

Post by Lemmy556 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:56 pm

:tup:
Great work and yes, original floppy version of Fantastic Dizzy includes Japanese too and seems like its the only Amiga game with that language.

jimmimak
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by jimmimak » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:14 pm

Hi! I recently bought the cartridge for Fantastic Dizzy on the Master System. I wouldn't mind recording footage of the game. Obviously I can't do save-states on the console, so it's difficult. If I did it on the console I'd have to plan my actions to avoid back-tracking.

I played it on the weekend and died inside the cave underneath the graveyard. It's hard to jump onto that ledge... I got to about 25% completion of the tasks. I can confirm that this version has the day/night system, whereas the one I have on the emulator does not (or doesn't work). I also got very close to doing the slider puzzle with the missing piece, only 2 pieces were left unswapped (I find them really difficult).

I don't have a VCR (video cassette recorder) so for now it would have to be recorded from the screen in the dark. I'm not sure how it will look. I can record audio from the headphone socket on the TV though.

If you guys want to do it on emulator, I recommend Meka/Mekaw as the emulator, as it has video capture and has no problem with Fantastic Dizzy. Mekaw runs in slow motion on my laptop due to cpu throttling (changing speed) but the captured audio and video always turn out at normal speed.

EDIT - I did a little test and the CRT scan lines captured on camera are really bad, so I will need a video recorder after all. :(

I am going to compare the Game Gear and Master System versions once I get my Game Gear.

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Bag of Magic Food » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:33 pm

Oh yeah, you definitely want to look up how to complete a slider puzzle quickly, because there are more of them, and you'll want those extra lives in Zaks' tower where you don't get mid-way continue points. Fortunately it's always the same slider puzzle, and it's really obvious how to get the bottom and right edges into place, so at that point it becomes a 3x3 puzzle. Then I just have to remember how to rotate the pieces of Theo's and Dizzy's faces so they line up. :v2_dizzy_cry:

Also, when reviewing the mine cart ride, don't use this map, use this one I made instead. Yeah it's from the NES version, but the stars are in the same places in the SMS version, whereas some of them switched tracks in the 16-bit conversions. I actually got messed up by that the other day when I played the AGA version of Fantastic Dizzy and crashed into a boulder where I expected to find a star. :v2_dizzy_down:

That's neat that you've got the game on cartridge now. Hopefully we'll figure out whether the removal of nighttime was region-based or handheld-based soon.

Wait, Meka has video capture? As I said before, I could only find the options to record sound and to take single screen snapshots, so you'll have to show me where you found how to record video.

jimmimak
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by jimmimak » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:12 am

Thanks for the information Bag of Magic Food! (do you have a shorter name? :P). The map is great. I can sometimes do the mine ride without assistance but it will no doubt be handy when doing a clean run while having the pressure of being recorded!

I have seen solutions to 4x4 block puzzles online, but they are all rotated 180 to how dizzy is done, and you can't mix up the blocks to match how dizzy mixes them. I have a real 4x4 slider puzzle and I'm thinking of printing and glueing the dizzy puzzle pieces on top :) The main point I picked up was you have to move the gap to the side of the block you want to move. Complete each row at a time ignoring the other pieces. In dizzy's case you complete it from bottom right to top left. The last pieces have to be rotated around using the gap to swap them. I'm just not yet fast enough to do it..

I just saw this speed run on youtube, but theres some differences to the SMS version. It might help -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IshgDSr44hc

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Bag of Magic Food » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:49 am

Stobczyk's "Red Version" run would be a good one to watch too, because the Sega 8-bit versions were based on those later Nintendo versions, only with sprites and physics from Dizzy the Adventurer. Watch out for the different pacing of things like the volcano, the river game, and the archery game, though. And I'm pretty sure the SMS/GG ports fixed it so you can't just jump onto the island with the aqualung anymore.