Favourite bit of Dizzy games?

A place to post interesting information to the community.
DizzyPleng
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by DizzyPleng » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:33 pm

Yup. But then once you've got a save system then it makes the lives sytem even more pointless :D

As for the infinite lives cheats, I had an Action Replay cartridge for my C64 so did home-made cheats for my games back in the day. Nowadays I just use hacked roms.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:39 pm

with saves i still lose all my lives.
unless you save after every screen, and keep going back when you get hit..
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

Colin
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Colin » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:18 pm

WhyNotSmile wrote: I think Summer Blast Dizzy is a good example - the bombs have to be diffused by the right cards. You just couldn't really have done that before, it would've been way too annoying.
I wonder if people noticed that the bombs, do actually show you which card to use!
ImageImageImage

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:56 pm

yeah the colours match up, but you still feel obliged to try the wrong ones anyway! :p

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

WhyNotSmile
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by WhyNotSmile » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:49 pm

Colin wrote:I wonder if people noticed that the bombs, do actually show you which card to use!
I thought maybe they did - but wasn't sure, so give them all a go anyway! I couldn't remember from one bomb to the next whether the previous one had been a different colour to what I was seeing now!

quiggie
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by quiggie » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:06 pm

don't think i could finish any games without the save and loved the way coins were collected in summber blast dizzy :v2_dizzy_clapping:
Hard work has a future payoff. Lazyness pays off NOW.

thereallocomaniac
Your Backpack is Empty

My favorite part in a Dizzy game

Post by thereallocomaniac » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:55 pm

WhyNotSmile wrote:Just wondered what everyone's favourite & least favourite parts of Dizzy games are?
What does everyone else think?
For me its got to be in Fantasy world Dizzy(spectrum), where Dizzy walks up to the picture of treasure island Dizzy and the loading screen appears :v2_dizzy_clapping:
But then again Fantasy world Dizzy has loads of those special little touches that made it such a great game.

AndyUK
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by AndyUK » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:28 pm

I think the one standout moment for me was finding the flippers in Spellbound dizzy and being able to explore the watery caverns more (and dicovering where Daisy was hidden).
Actually I recall finding it quite fun to take 4 boulders to the windy shaft then drop them all and seeing Dizzy shoot to the top of the shaft in record time lol.
Of course solving puzzles and making progress is always great, although i was so young at the time of most of the games a lot of it was just luck. Finally beating Treasure island dizzy and hearing the little win jingle was great :)

There are loads of worst moments but i seem to recall trying to time jumping over the amourog after it had been trapped in the little cave as really difficult or getting killed by the crab walking on to the screen to the left in that magical water barrier screen on Treasure island dizzy.

Or those damn Illusion screens...

damian
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by damian » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:55 pm

For me, the humour and back referencing were the best part. Even the irritating stuff, like THAT advert scroll in Treasure Island - it was up the top of the tree village and a pain to get to, just to tell you Pro BMX Simulator(?) was coming out soon - and the hole in Fantasy World. Not to mention the picture of you in your last adventure, you just didn't get little gags like that in games back then, it was either completely and utterly over the top, or played completely seriously.

Stuff like "Knock and Enter/That's easier said than done when you're wearing boxing gloves", little gags like that always gave me a smile. Being unable to pick up manure, because you can't hold it, or going down a well to Australia :D , Dizzy always gave you a few smiles while you were lugging objects all over the map.

Just a shame there was so little Oliver input for the last three of the "classic" format games (Crystal Kingdom had a different style, so although an arcade adventure, just felt really different to me - wouldn't mind having a crack at a remake if there's not one already)
"a vision of love, wearing boxing gloves..."

DizzyFanUK
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by DizzyFanUK » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:11 am

As well as the adventure games - I also loved the arcade style games of Fast Food and Kwik Snax.
The music on the ST was very addictive for both games, especiallly the Mall levels. And no game since the so-called 'obesity epidemic' would dare have you playing a character whose sole purpose is to eat as many burgers and milkshakes as possible. I suppose Kwik Snax was supposed to balance the healthy diet with lots of healthy fruit?
I also loved the Lego levels and the cartoon power-ups - just pure fun! :D
:v2_dizzy_thumbsup:Long Live Dizzy - May his boxing gloves never shrink in the wash :v2_dizzy_biggrin: