Favourite bit of Dizzy games?

A place to post interesting information to the community.
WhyNotSmile
Hard Boiled Egg

Favourite bit of Dizzy games?

Post by WhyNotSmile » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:00 pm

Just wondered what everyone's favourite & least favourite parts of Dizzy games are?

Personally, I like solving the puzzles that are sort of logical - not so obvious that you get them straight away, but also not completely random (I wasn't keen on Treasure Island Dizzy because it felt like lots of the puzzles were random). I also like things like quicksand and so on where you have to keep jumping. And I like not having to worry too much about losing lives - like if there are plenty of extra lives, or you can eat food to give you a boost - for me the fun is in solving the puzzles, and I get a bit annoyed if it's too easy to die!

I really HATE looking for the coins/stars/whatever though. I also dislike games where the map is really spread out, and you have to haul loads of items about from one side to the other, and ones with awkward creatures to avoid - like a spider that's a wee bit too close to the edge so you keep walking into it.

What does everyone else think?

AndyC
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by AndyC » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:44 pm

I can't honestly disagree with anything that you've put, WhyNotSmile. Having to move a lot of items around is a particular bugbear of mine, in particular taking rocks down the windy shaft in Spellbound (especially with that pit between the quarry and the shaft); that spoiled the game for me to a large extent. I also think that Dizzy TUCA would have been better if you could have carried more than one object at once; it would have saved a lot of needless to-ing and fro-ing.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:49 pm

Yes the lugging of items around is a pain, thats why i try and keep my games compact and not waste screen space, and keep baddies an a minimum.. but not too easy.

I also like a good story that keeps you guessing.. IID was a excellent example of this.. more than just solving puzzles or saving a few people.

Also.. good music.. .helps set the tone and feel of each part of the game and guides you though..
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:21 pm

WhyNotSmile wrote:I really HATE looking for the coins/stars/whatever though. I also dislike games where the map is really spread out, and you have to haul loads of items about from one side to the other, and ones with awkward creatures to avoid - like a spider that's a wee bit too close to the edge so you keep walking into it.
i guess you don't like too many of my games then! :p

personally i prefer games that have really good attention to detail, and have little 'easter eggs' - things that don't need to be done, but provide a nice surprise for the player if they do find it.

I don't mind maps being big, as long as they are filled with things, and have lots of detail.

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

STEVE 09
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by STEVE 09 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:47 pm

The twoing and throwing from one screen to another in Spellbound Dizzy was a big chore but strangely enough I regard this as probably my favourite Dizzy game of them all with Magic Land Dizzy coming in a very close second!

One bad point was only having one life in Treasure Island Dizzy, this made this game nigh on impossible. It took me ages to complete it. It's also the one and only Dizzy game I will never play properly again. If Dizzy had more than 1 life, I probably would though.

I haven't played many of the fan games to be honest. I just don't have enough time with working. I will be downloading a few of them this week though and look forward to playing through them. I've downloaded all the remakes of the old Dizzy games though and how fantastic they are too! I've created folders for them on my desktop for quick use.

DizzyPleng
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by DizzyPleng » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:33 pm

I don't like the cherry hunts, and I don't like only having 3 lives.

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:02 pm

and the things you DO like.....?

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

WhyNotSmile
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by WhyNotSmile » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:48 am

delta wrote:i guess you don't like too many of my games then! :p

personally i prefer games that have really good attention to detail, and have little 'easter eggs' - things that don't need to be done, but provide a nice surprise for the player if they do find it.

I don't mind maps being big, as long as they are filled with things, and have lots of detail.
Aw, Delta, I do like your games! You're generous with the inventory size, which means there's not too much too-ing and fro-ing. I don't mind big maps, as long as there's a point to them - and lots of different things to explore. I get bored trudging endlessly through trees though!

I like the 'easter eggs' things as well - little surprises. And like Meph said, a good story is also a winner - especially if the surprises tie in with that and give a little extra.

Someone (Meph?) also mentioned the music - I'm afraid I tend to turn it off while I play. Sometimes I listen to it for a wee bit, just to see what it's like, but I find it a bit of a distraction!

DizzyPleng
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by DizzyPleng » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:03 pm

delta wrote:and the things you DO like.....?
The puzzle solving. And the fact that you're controlling a cool little egg with a great big grin on his face! I never really got the 'three-and-out' lives system in what, to me at least, was essentially a puzzle game.

I don't mind the energy system. For example there could be a screen with so many spikes that you can't possibly get through them without loosing all your energy, so you need to find another way around. But I really don't like only having a certain amount of tries before the game ends. Especially if you want to try out various things to try and solve a puzzle - and some of those things would result in your death if they don't work (I'm not sure if Dizzy games had any situations like this to be honest, though)

When I play Dizzy games I always play with the infinite lives cheats.

WhyNotSmile
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by WhyNotSmile » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:32 pm

DizzyPleng wrote:The puzzle solving. And the fact that you're controlling a cool little egg with a great big grin on his face! I never really got the 'three-and-out' lives system in what, to me at least, was essentially a puzzle game.
True! Dizzy is great! I love when the other Yolkfolk are in the games as well - especially some of the fan games where you get to control the others!
I don't mind the energy system. For example there could be a screen with so many spikes that you can't possibly get through them without loosing all your energy, so you need to find another way around. But I really don't like only having a certain amount of tries before the game ends. Especially if you want to try out various things to try and solve a puzzle - and some of those things would result in your death if they don't work (I'm not sure if Dizzy games had any situations like this to be honest, though)

When I play Dizzy games I always play with the infinite lives cheats.
I think in the original games when there was no save option it was annoying to have hardly any lives. But the save has opened up new possibilities for hte games - it lets there be puzzles that you have to play around with.

I think Summer Blast Dizzy is a good example - the bombs have to be diffused by the right cards. You just couldn't really have done that before, it would've been way too annoying. It also has all the characters, which I think is great!

And what is this infinite lives cheat of which you speak? :v2_dizzy_confused2: