Wizzley Presto and the Vampires Tomb

A place to post interesting information to the community.
Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Grandad » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:19 am

Spent most of yesterday playing the game and having great fun - found the 'options' window and saw that I could throw the eggs, and the 'achievements' board. Have managed to get to level 3, but spent more time replaying 1 and 2 after discovering other things (spoiler)[color="#FFFFFF"] hitting an eye with an egg brings up a scorecard at bottom of screen.[/color]

Absolutely loving this remake, don't have i-phone so never saw the original, so am now going to download the new version and spend the rest of the day being Wizzley ...and trying to find that damned broom :v2_dizzy_confused2:

darkfalzx
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby darkfalzx » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:27 am

Thank you for giving the game a try! The whole thing is neither particularly long nor difficult. One should be able to complete it within a few hours from beginning to end.

I am uploading a new build that should fix a couple more issues that cropped up, such as inability to trigger one of the achievements, or a crash when attempting to disable the controller.

Download Beta 0.9c.

There is still a super-illusive issue in the game that only occurs on a very small percentage of machines - a hard crash when going from the logo screen to main menu, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why this happens. People on those same machines can run all my other games, which use almost identical code.

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Grandad » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:30 am

Oo-yah! Finished. Have had great fun with this game Darkfalzx - no way would I be able to unlock all the achievements in one game as I think you'd have to have zero misses when throwing eggs.

No crashes or technical issues but with the first Beta 0.9c issue you could also start at the second or third parts before doing the first part ...and starting with the third part shows the heavy weight and jar of honey already in the correct map positions.

darkfalzx
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby darkfalzx » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:08 am

Thank you!
The game versions have 100% compatible saves, so the unlocked chapters in 9b carry over to 9c. I guess I should add a feature to wipe all game data, as currently it can only be done with a cheat.
The game treats chapter-end saves as a regular progress save albeit into a separate slot, and with reset lives, energy and ammo. That's why all solved puzzles stay solved, killed enemies stay dead, and collected items stay collected: )

It's a bummer the original developers went MIA. A part two could be fun.
But, oh well, I guess I'll just have to resist the urge to update someone else's game and make another original instead: )
(BTW have you tried my Mystik Belle? It's a bit on an action-y side, but the Arcade Adventure portion of it is legit.)

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Grandad » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:59 am

Suppose you could always make your own part 2.

Never tried Mystik Belle as it was advertised as being on Steam and I remember hearing so many bad things about Steam that I won't touch it. Sorry.

darkfalzx
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby darkfalzx » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:54 pm

Grandad wrote:Suppose you could always make your own part 2.

Never tried Mystik Belle as it was advertised as being on Steam and I remember hearing so many bad things about Steam that I won't touch it. Sorry.

Making this recreation was somewhat of a preservation project. I am not that huge of a fan of Wizzley to dedicate my almost nonexistent free time to making a fangame. Besides, my art style is quite different from ruckage's. However, if members of the original team, privy to the plans, and hopefully at least partial assets to the sequel decide to contact me, I could probably use my existing engine to build Wizzley 2 in a matter of weeks.

Also, I have added my games to itch.io, so if you were put off by Steam, you can get them there completely DRM-Free. I have contacted GOG again, for the 4th time, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

SnTrooper
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby SnTrooper » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:30 pm

Done. Loved it. Very nice little game. Although I would have been very disappointed in the length if I had paid for it. Now to start over and get the rest of the achievements.

Noticed two tiny errors. When talking to the Princess at the end of part 2 you missed a space between him and to in "blown himto pieces" and when opening the gate in part 3 you have "They" instead of "The" in the first sentence.

darkfalzx
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby darkfalzx » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:49 am

I have copy-pasted the English text straight from the iOS game's code, including the messages from the game's original programmer - Craig. Unfortunately in doing so I have inadvertently transplanted all of the grammatical mistakes, of which there was quite a bit. I will correct the instances you pointed out though: )

The iOS game was somewhat more difficult, but mostly by way of the strange save system, really stingy energy refills, rare life-ups, but most of all the **really** awkward and unresponsive touch controls. There was a $1500 prize for whoever completed it first, but I'm not sure if that was ever paid out.

Also, the achievements are entirely my own addition, and kind of an afterthought: )

ruckage
Your Backpack is Empty

Re: Wizzley Presto and the Vampires Tomb

Postby ruckage » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:15 am

Hello, sorry for the late reply, I'm the original artist of this game and just discovered the port darkfalzx has made of this for the PC. I can't speak for Craig (I haven't been in contact with him for years) but personally I'm really happy that this is now available so a wider audience can play it, it's also nice as I didn't have any way to play the original myself and now I do.

darkfalzx
Your Backpack is Empty

Re: Wizzley Presto and the Vampires Tomb

Postby darkfalzx » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:49 am

Hi ruckage! Great to hear from you, man.
You did some wonderful art for this project, and it was an utter shame to have it lost and forgotten. Thank you for being cool with this remake - your approval makes me feel slightly less like some IP-hijacking piece of crap. I still wish Craig would contact me at some point to to either slap me down or approve of the project, just so I know where I stand: )

By the way! I have updated the game. There are a few bugfixes all around, mostly in collision department.

Download Beta 0.9h for Windows.
Download Beta 0.9h for Linux.

Also, the game has a Gamejolt page now.

Return to “General Discussion”