I just finished my 1st Dizzy game - Polish needed

Need help with using DizzyAGE then look here
Post Reply
Captain Jonesy
Your Backpack is Empty
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:27 pm

I just finished my 1st Dizzy game - Polish needed

Post by Captain Jonesy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:02 pm

Hi Guys,

I've just finished my 1st Dizzy game and I'm just wondering if I pick anyone's brains on a few things for suggestions/how I would go about adding/tweaking aspects for the 2nd version of this game before uploading it on here for you guys to check out. I apologise if I sound like a broken record as I've probably covering areas that you're all spoke about before, but I couldn't find any topics on them, so am I here, anyways ...

1.) Is there any sites or forums here that share alternative tiles, music and sound effect files? My game visually doesn't look or sound too pretty at the moment

2.) How would you go about creating an title screen, start menu (new game, load game, etc) and End menu/screen (end of game)?

3.) I'm currently trying implement a sound effect to play for each speech bubble that appears. Is there way to code it so it will always play a certain SFX by default for each speech bubble without having SamplePlay(FX_) for each piece of dialogue in the code? As I have alot of dialogue in my game and this would double the size of the script.

4.) Also I'm wondering if it is possible to implement some type of respawn point in certain rooms, so instead respawning in the same place where you died in the level, you respawn at an certain point? Has this been done before? Is it possible?

5.) I'm been trying to figure out the code how to make the screen go black for a little while, then return back to normal (gameplay). Any suggestions for code?

Lastly, is there a topic on here for people to post/upload their games once I've finalised the game? Sorry it's quite a list, I didn't realise - I may just form other topics make it easier to digest. Thanks in advance and any help on such issues would be greatly appreciated! :cool:

delta
Hard Boiled Egg
Posts: 3965
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:08 pm
Location: North West
Contact:

Post by delta » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:31 pm

Captain Jonesy wrote:Hi Guys,

I've just finished my 1st Dizzy game and I'm just wondering if I pick anyone's brains on a few things for suggestions/how I would go about adding/tweaking aspects for the 2nd version of this game before uploading it on here for you guys to check out. I apologise if I sound like a broken record as I've probably covering areas that you're all spoke about before, but I couldn't find any topics on them, so am I here, anyways ...
Congratulations! :v2_dizzy_clapping:
Captain Jonesy wrote:1.) Is there any sites or forums here that share alternative tiles, music and sound effect files? My game visually doesn't look or sound too pretty at the moment
ermm no tbh, there isn't. Regarding tiles, you can un-pak any DizzyAGE game and nick any tiles you want to, or alternatively draw your own (I use a program called 'GIMP' for mine). Music-wise, there is an additional download of music files available on the DizzyAGE site, or you can look on http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/, which is where I got the music for TLoD and CoTM (Use a program such as Audacity to edit them and convert them to .ogg format). Regarding samples, that too is difficult. for TLoD and CoTM I think I nicked a few samples from 'Dizzy and the Other Side' and edited them using Audacity.
Captain Jonesy wrote:2.) How would you go about creating an title screen, start menu (new game, load game, etc) and End menu/screen (end of game)?
my 'Make your own Dizzy Game' tutorial tells you how to create title and ending screens, and you don't need a start menu, as the game will already have intro and game menus coded.
Captain Jonesy wrote:3.) I'm currently trying implement a sound effect to play for each speech bubble that appears. Is there way to code it so it will always play a certain SFX by default for each speech bubble without having SamplePlay(FX_) for each piece of dialogue in the code? As I have alot of dialogue in my game and this would double the size of the script.
sure, open up file messages.gs, find the function called Message( x, y, text, colorink, colorborder ), and put the SamplePlay(FX_); line into that function as the first line. That should do the job for you (let me know if it doesn't work). :)
Captain Jonesy wrote:4.) Also I'm wondering if it is possible to implement some type of respawn point in certain rooms, so instead respawning in the same place where you died in the level, you respawn at an certain point? Has this been done before? Is it possible?
sure it is. First you'll need to set a 'death' property number for those particular hazards, then you can use that number to call a special 'respawn' code for that particular death number.

So for example lets say you want to set a specific position for being killed by a bear. Set the 'death' property for the bear object to '1' (or any other number) in the map, note that the thing that kills you will have to be type 'dynamic' (using class 'hurt' or 'kill' and collider 'call handler'), rather than type 'static'. Then you can use code similar to below:

Code: Select all

func PlayerRespawn_1()
{
	SamplePlay(FX_RESPAWN);
	PlayerSet(P_DEATH, 0);
	PlayerSet(P_LIFE, 100);

	PlayerSet(P_X, XPOSITION);
	PlayerSet(P_Y, YPOSITION);
	PlayerEnterIdle();
	MusicFade(0,3);
	MusicRestore();
}
the number '1' in PlayerRespawn_1 must be the same as the 'death' property for the object that kills Dizzy, and you also need to replace XPOSITION and YPOSITION with, well, the X and Y positions you want Dizzy to respawn at!
Captain Jonesy wrote:5.) I'm been trying to figure out the code how to make the screen go black for a little while, then return back to normal (gameplay). Any suggestions for code?
you mean fade to black, or just flick off like a light switch? also, do you mean the entire screen (including HUD), or just the room display? It should be fairly easy to rattle a bit of code out for you, it just depends what exactly you want to do.
Captain Jonesy wrote:Lastly, is there a topic on here for people to post/upload their games once I've finalised the game? Sorry it's quite a list, I didn't realise - I may just form other topics make it easier to digest. Thanks in advance and any help on such issues would be greatly appreciated! :cool:
once you've finally finished (and paked the data folder to make a 'dizzy.pak' file), email it to AdzM and to Alex Simion, and they will upload it to yolkfolk.com, and the DizzyAGE site for you. As for a topic, you can create one yourself in the 'fan games' forum :)
Image

Image

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

delta
Hard Boiled Egg
Posts: 3965
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:08 pm
Location: North West
Contact:

Post by delta » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:37 pm

A final note, get someone else to test the game for you before you release it. This is because no matter how much you've tested it, someone else will always see a problem or bug that you've missed, or will be able to correct spelling, or suggest an improvement, or something. Basically they'll look at it with a fresh pair of eyes, and I promise you, your game will be better for it.
Image

Image

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

User avatar
Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk
Posts: 3029
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:43 am
Location: Cornwall, UK
Contact:

Post by Adz.M » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:45 am

Captain Jonesy wrote:1.) Is there any sites or forums here that share alternative tiles, music and sound effect files? My game visually doesn't look or sound too pretty at the moment
If you're after any Dizzy sound effects from the original games, there's a library of them here from the Spectrum, Commodore, Amiga and Sega Megadrive versions. :)

User avatar
Rindex
Hard Boiled Egg
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:48 am
Location: Khimki, Moscow Regions, Russia

Post by Rindex » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:36 pm

Captain Jonesy wrote:Hi Guys,

I've just finished my 1st Dizzy game and I'm just wondering if I pick anyone's brains on a few things for suggestions/how I would go about adding/tweaking aspects for the 2nd version of this game before uploading it on here for you guys to check out. I apologise if I sound like a broken record as I've probably covering areas that you're all spoke about before, but I couldn't find any topics on them, so am I here, anyways ...

1.) Is there any sites or forums here that share alternative tiles, music and sound effect files? My game visually doesn't look or sound too pretty at the moment
Choose any. Only write, who the author of a melody.

http://www.zxtunes.com/news.php?&ln=eng

Captain Jonesy
Your Backpack is Empty
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:27 pm

Post by Captain Jonesy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:50 pm

Thanks Delta for your encouragement and your advice, very helpful and thank you to everyone else for the tips :v2_dizzy_tongue:
sure, open up file messages.gs, find the function called Message( x, y, text, colorink, colorborder ), and put the SamplePlay(FX_); line into that function as the first line. That should do the job for you (let me know if it doesn't work).
Oh yes of course, I end up forgetting about the other script files as I never use them as all my code is in single game.gs file but I think it would certainly be good to start dividing up certain code sections into other script files to make easier in the long run to manage.
you mean fade to black, or just flick off like a light switch? also, do you mean the entire screen (including HUD), or just the room display? It should be fairly easy to rattle a bit of code out for you, it just depends what exactly you want to do.


Sorry I should of been more precise but I'm after a "fade to black" effect (affecting only the room display, not HUD) then after a few seconds fades back to normal gameplay.

Thanks again Delta and everyone else!

Jonesy

Post Reply