Hmm HUD

Need help with using DizzyAGE then look here
Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Hmm HUD

Post by Grandad » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:28 pm

I've got a little HUD problem (no carry on humour please!)

It seems that the RoomNamesFile uses room 1,1 as a default for the 'press action to start' message as the title of the room in the loading menu screen. However, I've already used room 1,1 as part of the main game and can't seem to figure out how to change the menu room to another room.

I've checked the HandlerDrawHud function and the default seems to be to loadid = 6 for the copyright page, followed by the default menuid = 1 for the menu title.

The function starts with what looks like a global variable for getting the room followed by the details of setting the area for displaying the 'room title', but I'm a bit loath to start changing what seems like a global variable as there is a warning at the top of the function about screwing this function up.

Any suggestions please.

Thanks

Grandad

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:23 pm

it depends what you're actually wanting to do.

if you're wanting to change the position that dizzy starts in (the room), then it's set in gamedef.gs as pixel co-ordinates.

if on the other hand you're wanting to simply change the name of the room, then hover the cursor over the room in the map editor, and press CTRL+R to bring up the room properties box, and you can change it in there.

if it's anything else, please let us know.

:)

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:20 pm

It's not that Jamie. From what I understand the menu loading screen displays 'press action to start' and the default is that room 1,1 should be called 'press action to start'.

in the game, room 1,1, is part of the map so when the menu screen loads instead of 'press action to start' being displayed, the title of the room is displayed instead.

At a crunch I could scrub it and redraw the room involved in a different part of the map, but hoped it would be easier to just change the default to a blank room that I could call 'press action to start'.

Does this make sense?

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:49 pm

ummm i think so...!

You're basically wanting a room that's used in the game to also double up as the start game screen, if I'm correct.

There are a few ways to do it, but tbh the easiest way is simply to copy the entire room contents into another room (removing any ID numbers etc), and use that room instead. It's what I did in DWD, which uses two rooms that are the same as rooms in the game.

then just make the room name of the new room 'Press Action to Start' :p

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:51 pm

Grandad wrote:but hoped it would be easier to just change the default to a blank room that I could call 'press action to start'.
from this, it seems as though you simply want to change the room that the game uses as the menu screen. That's simple. as I said before, all you have to do is change the following in gamedef.gs:

Code: Select all

#def PLAYER_MAINMENUX	400		// set the player's position x in the mainmenu room (attract mode room)
#def PLAYER_MAINMENUY	246		// set the player's position y in the mainmenu room (attract mode room)
this puts dizzy wherever in the map you want him to be in the main menu.

:)

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:27 pm

Ah Thanks Jamie

Just changed those co-ordinates to room 0,0. Gave the room the 'press action' title and voila - perfect!

Cheers

Steve