quick question

Need help with using DizzyAGE then look here
boo
Hard Boiled Egg

quick question

Post by boo » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:40 pm

I'm casually thinking about attempting to make my own dizzy game. I'm just wondering how many of you thought "no way can I do that" after reading some of what you have to do before you made your first game?. Is it as complicated as it looks? I know there are tutorials out there to help, but will they help someone with *no* programming knowledge at all?

Lord Dizzy of Yolkfolk
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Lord Dizzy of Yolkfolk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:56 pm

boo wrote:I'm casually thinking about attempting to make my own dizzy game. I'm just wondering how many of you thought "no way can I do that" after reading some of what you have to do before you made your first game?. Is it as complicated as it looks? I know there are tutorials out there to help, but will they help someone with *no* programming knowledge at all?
Hi Boo, I thought exactly that, no way can I make a game and no way could I until Jamie (Delta) did the tutorials. If you want to attempt making one I highly recommend you view these. I was always impressed by these guys who could & made the fan games.

Although I had one or two disagreements (or maybe better put differance of opinion) regarding some of the comments made by Jamie in reference to the comp there was no way without his tutorials could I ever of attempted to create a Dizzy game in the first place and now ive just completed my second soon to be released. Not only that he was extremely helpful as are a few of the others that can assist with coding queries if your able to get to grips with it somewhat.

So my advice would be view those tutorials Jamie kindly did, they worked for me to learn & go from there...

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:21 pm

basically i made the tutorials because I know how daunting it is to even think about making your own game. They are made assuming that the person watching has no prior knowledge of DizzyAGE at all, and should enable you to write a game with some basic (but essential) interactions.

What you have to remember is that we all started somewhere! there are also manuals that give you a basic idea of how to do stuff too.

good luck, and have fun! :)

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:31 pm

Well other then members help i useed the books for get the foundations (as there was not videos then) and still have been refer to them now.. alwyas forget things, check bits of code or new stuff.

The tutorials are a great place to start but after that i think its easier and qucker to just laod up the book and follow that, than haveing pause a video or keep playing bits back,

(i've never wached the videos so i dunno what they're like)

The only thing is you need Patience to learn, I've been playing around with Dizzy age for about 3 years and im still learning (but im also a bit thick so you'll probably pick it up much faster)
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in

boo
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by boo » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:03 pm

thanks everyone for the input....feel a tiny bit more confident to do it now...when I can find the time to sit down and read it all properly :)

Huckleberry
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Huckleberry » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:37 pm

If I can make a game, you definitely can. My basic understanding of the coding is copy and pasting the bits that I've miraculously got to work. I learnt from Jamie's tutorials as well. I say learnt but, as I said earlier, I just copied the bits of code that he typed. So yeah, video tutorials and the manuals. Good luck, buddy!

boo
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by boo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:36 pm

I've come up against my first problem (yes, so soon lol). When I try run the bat file for the sample "hello world" program, it flashes up then disappears straight away. Is it supposed to do that?

xelanoimis
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by xelanoimis » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:58 pm

The console program that comes with the gs9 book is designed to help you learn more about programming in GS9 by running your small examples. It has not much to do with DizzyAGE games except that gs9 is the language used by the DizzyAGE scripts.

Beside the default commands from gs9, the dizzyage engine adds new specific commands that work only in dizzyage games (not in the console).

The gs9 console should wait for a key press after it runs the code. But if that doesn't happen for you, run it from a console... ah confusing? Press the windows start button, select run, type cmd, change directory to where the gs9 console and your program are and run console.exe program.txt (or the .bat file).

-------------

Putting this aside, maybe going directly into the scripting book is not the best approach for everyone. Even if the GS9 book is written for totally beginners I think most of the dizzyage developers started with the DizzyAGE book or with the editor book. Or even with the video tutorials. And they read the gs9 book for more details on the scripting part.

There isn't a particular order to go through these materials, so feel free to explore whatever comes easier to you.

Alex

boo
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by boo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:36 am

I think I got that :)

I've made a 3 room map with one puzzle, I'm going to try code that. And if I'm successful with that I'll try something on a slightly bigger scale and attempt an actual game.

Lord Dizzy of Yolkfolk
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Lord Dizzy of Yolkfolk » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:48 pm

Good stuff, sounds positive..good luck..