Pakking a game

Need help with using DizzyAGE then look here
Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Pakking a game

Post by Grandad » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:22 pm

Right, after much hard work my first game is now complete. I've been testing everything and it all seems to work fine. I've tried to complete the stuff in the Dizzyage book about release; dumped the unused tiles, set the api to '0', set cool = 1 and removed the dev option. Then copied it all to a new folder and played the whole game through to check - and it worked fine. So packed the data file and put it in the new folder and moved the original data files to a different location, so that the game folder just contains:

datapak file
dizzy application file
dizzy configuration setting file
readme file
setup application file

Then tried to play the game again, so that I can send it off to Alex for proper testing, but it hung with the messages:

'The game doesn't specify the version of DizzyAge it was made for'
'You are running it with DizzyAge v2.3'
'if you experience malfunctions, contact the author'

followed by:

file error, 0,0 Data\Scripts\DizzyAge
Code: -1

...and I have no idea what I did wrong. Help please.

Grandad

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:34 pm

i suspect that when removing all unused files, you also deleted the file in the data folder called 'dizzy'. this is the setup information, and it is from here that the game knows which version of DizzyAGE you're running it in.

to fix that, simply copy it back in, and pak the data folder again. However don't forget to edit the file, as it also contains information about the game name, author, and game version number.

for example, this is the file as it is for Winter Nightmare Dizzy:

Code: Select all

game_title		= Winter Nightmare Dizzy
game_version		= 1.0
game_author		= Jamie Douglas
game_website		= http://www.dizzystories.co.uk
game_about		= "DizzyAGE created by\nAlexandru and Cristina Simion\nhttp://www.yolkfolk.com/dizzyage"
game_shortcut		= Winter Nightmare Dizzy
game_languages		= english
dizzyage_version	= 2.3
this is also the information used in the setup file 'about' box, and if you press F1 while playing the game.

once you've re-instated the file and re-paked it, you should find it works fine. I'm not really sure what your error code is all about, but it's probably related and may fix itself once you've done the above fix.

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:10 am

Thanks again Jamie, the pak worked fine with the data file added.

I have a feeling that the 'error' was in that even though I set the initial tile to Daisy (310), in the def.gs file, the game always initially loaded Dizzy (10) tile and then switched to Daisy as the first movement began. I couldn't find any other references to the starting tile, so I covered it up by having Daisy first appear inside a plane so she couldn't be seen ..but had deleted the Dizzy (10) tile when I pakked it. So have put it back and the game plays fine from the pakked version.

So, have now zipped it up and am about to send it off to Alex so that he can do the bizz.

Grandad
PS - as you've helped me so much I've named a small street after you in the game.