Graphics bug in editor under DX

Need help with using DizzyAGE then look here
Mataeus
Hard Boiled Egg

Graphics bug in editor under DX

Post by Mataeus » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:43 am

Hello.... I've had a scan through this topic and I can't seem to see anything mentioning this, but... When I run the DizzyAGE editor under Direct X, the map window, scroll bars and grid lines sort of 'bounce' around, as if flicking between two locations very quickly, with infrequent intervals. It almost looks as if the map window is 'stuck' between two scroll points, and is juttering between the two to find where it should be. I'm using the latest build of DizzyAGE.

There's nothing wrong with my DX files and the actual games themselves run fine under this mode. But I have to switch the editor to OpenGL to be able to use it. Not much of a problem, guaranteed, but it just made me curious about what could be causing it. It also doesn't matter what resolution I run it in, it's still the same. The first and most obvious thing that springs to mind is that I use an Nvidia SLI setup. I went into the Nvidia control panel and added the DizzyAGE editor executable to the list, then ticked the option for it that says "SLI performance mode: Single GPU" which should, as the name implies run the editor using just one graphics card. But it STILL jutters, even with this setting on. The only other thing I can think of is that I run a quad-core processor that can affect some games. For example, Broken Sword 4 won't run unless I force one CPU to ON in bcdedit.

I just thought you should be aware of this, possibly to be added to a list of known bugs. It would be especially useful if someone else can test it under SLI and see if they have the same problem, as well as test it under ATI cross-fire or whatever it's called. Also, does anyone have the problem who runs more than one CPU core?

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:44 pm

I have no idea dude. I run a dual-core with an Nvidia graphics card under windows XP (32bit), and I have no problems at all.

however i don't know whether it's running on Direct X or OpenGL.

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

xelanoimis
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by xelanoimis » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:20 pm

You can check the editor log file (or email it to me), but since it doesn't crash or show an error message I suspect it's a driver issue which is hard to find an workaround (unless it does happen on my system so I can test various things).

The editor uses a render target to render the map content and refreshes it only when things change (or scroll). The flipping effect may be due to errors in rendering into the target texture. The engine does handle the render target formats as DX requires, but still some drivers may have problems with it. Not many reported it though.

The DizzyAGE engine doesn't use render targets when running the games and if you can play them well using DirectX, then it have to be the render target thing.

Lucky, the editor supports opengl too :)
It can be set in editor.ini with options_videoapi=1

Alex

Mataeus
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Mataeus » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:56 pm

Yes, I use the editor in OpenGL instead as I say, so the problem isn't really an issue. Based on the feedback from you guys so far, the only thing I can think of then is my original theory: That a dual-graphics card SLI set up is causing the problem as the content is rendered through two graphics cards. This must be what's causing the flicking if, as you say Alex the editor only updates when you do something in it. The only thing is though, as I mentioned before, when changing the NVidia options so that DizzyAGE 3D acceleration is set to "One GPU" the problem still persists. This is why it would be great if someone else running SLI could try the editor and see if they have the same problem. Then at least we could clear up what's causing it for sure and you could add the issue to the readme, along with the simple solution of switching to OpenGL mode to rectify the problem.