Starting up queries

Need help with using DizzyAGE then look here
delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:26 pm

no you don't need to update any scripts.

If they show up in the editor, then the tiles themselves are fine. First check that you've saved the map file which has them being used. Next check that the game isn't using the dizzy.pak file instead of the data folder (it will automatically use the dizzy.pak file if it finds it), if there is one there, rename it as something else to force the game to use the data folder.

Other than that, you could always check that you haven't got duplicate tile numbers, as if you have, the game will only load one of the tiles (but the editor may load the other one, i'm not sure)

If all that is ok, then i don't know what else to suggest.

Just a thought... have you actually used any of the tiles in the game? I only ask because you say you've not changed anything, other than copying the tiles folder.

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

gavlaa
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by gavlaa » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:51 pm

delta wrote:no you don't need to update any scripts.

If they show up in the editor, then the tiles themselves are fine. First check that you've saved the map file which has them being used. Next check that the game isn't using the dizzy.pak file instead of the data folder (it will automatically use the dizzy.pak file if it finds it), if there is one there, rename it as something else to force the game to use the data folder.

Other than that, you could always check that you haven't got duplicate tile numbers, as if you have, the game will only load one of the tiles (but the editor may load the other one, i'm not sure)

If all that is ok, then i don't know what else to suggest.

Just a thought... have you actually used any of the tiles in the game? I only ask because you say you've not changed anything, other than copying the tiles folder.
Thanks Delta,

Unfortunately none of the above made any difference.

I copied the the folder and then made a new background to use in a test. the new background shows as it should in the map editor but thats about it. I have added grass to the bottom of the screen and given it a block property but thats all ive done.

Gavlaa

Colin
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Colin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:06 pm

you do need to edit the gamedef.gs file to set dizzy's start co'ords, if it's different to the default map!

edit in notepad or any other text editor, these 2 lines to the new settings

#def PLAYER_BEGINX 1792
#def PLAYER_BEGINY 348
ImageImageImage

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:12 pm

Colin wrote:you do need to edit the gamedef.gs file to set dizzy's start co'ords, if it's different to the default map!

edit in notepad or any other text editor, these 2 lines to the new settings

#def PLAYER_BEGINX 1792
#def PLAYER_BEGINY 348
oh i didn't realise dizzy wasn't in front of the tiles in the first place! :p

Colin
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Colin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:18 pm

it may not be, but it's worth a check!
also check that the tiles pasted on the map haven't got their material property set to mat only or none.
oh and the example i posted is from my game. not sure what the default start x,y location is from memory.
ImageImageImage

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:22 pm

Colin wrote:it may not be, but it's worth a check!
also check that the tiles pasted on the map haven't got their material property set to mat only or none.
OR check that they are set to DRAW=img, or DRAW=img&mat

gavlaa
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by gavlaa » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:05 pm

delta wrote:OR check that they are set to DRAW=img, or DRAW=img&mat
Sadly all of the above suggestions have already been checked and double checked and I still have the same issue.

I cant think what it might be.

Gavlaa

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:54 pm

have a look in the dizzy log file after loading the game, see if the game actually loads the tiles.

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:43 pm

Having read through this thread I'm wondering if you're trying to use the tile as a coloured background rather than an 'object' in the game.

I've been doing this for my new game as I wanted to have a blue background rather than the default of black as the game is set on a tropical island. Initially I used the 'default' background setting but found that although you could have the map as a 'blue' background it didn't show up in the game, so instead I made a 'blue' tile (which covers the whole room) as a brush set to layer 0, with the material air and used the 'object' tiles on top with a different layer between 1 & 4 which works fine.

Don't know if this is any help.

Grandad