Starting up queries

Need help with using DizzyAGE then look here
Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Starting up queries

Post by Grandad » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:26 pm

Having played some really wonderful fan games I thought it might be worth having a go myself. Knowing zilch about any form of programming I downloaded everything from DizzyAGE, read it through a few times just trying to get to grips with the general principles and then spent what seems like ages designing a game which started from one simple thought (having to flood a room to be able to reach an object as in Dizzy 5)...and then it just got bigger and bigger by adding new elements and trying to make sure the player couldn't get stuck anywhere and that clues for solving everything were included. Is this normal for most of you fan game designers or just me?

Luckily, even though my 'game' has now over 200 rooms, it is split into different 'themed islands' which can be reached via airports to avoid having to walk from one end of the game play area to the other just to find one object, so hopefully each 'island' can be separately designed and tested first. However, I also want Dizzy and Daisy to have separate adventures before they meet up on the last island and have to solve some puzzles together.

Am I right in assuming that although you only have one 'player' that the tile design can be altered so that the 'player' can look like either Dizzy or Daisy and just switch co-ordinates without them having to be in the same room to switch (as in Summerblast). Please say 'yes' or my whole concept will have to go down the pan!

I will need quite a lot of custom tiles for this game too and also both Dizzy and Daisy need to have other colours in their design than just white. Of the default tiles supplied it seems that you can only change the overall colour and texture, not parts of them and although I could use them as a 'starting point' and manipulate them in windows paint and then export them back (I have read the 'how to' article on creating tiles), but I don't have Adobe Photoshop and creating double images in windows paint for TGAworks to implode to a TGA file is going to be very tedious. I do have Corel PaintShop Pro (photo x2), but I'm not overly familiar with it and cannot find any reference to alpha channels, so was wondering if 'transparent layers' would have the same effect as an alpha channel ...or will I be restricted to Paint (the article says Gimp is very hard to use) and have my game ready by 2015?

Sorry this is so long winded, but would appreciate some advice.

Grandad

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:33 pm

Hi, and welcome to the community! :) I'll try and answer your queries as best as i can...
Grandad wrote:Is this normal for most of you fan game designers or just me?
well i normally have more of an idea of how the overall game will be, but nothing is ever finalised until i code it/put it in the map, and even then it could change! However i do know that others like absolutely everything thought of and designed before they even touch the map editor or coding. Basically, whatever works for you, works!
Grandad wrote:Am I right in assuming that although you only have one 'player' that the tile design can be altered so that the 'player' can look like either Dizzy or Daisy and just switch co-ordinates without them having to be in the same room to switch (as in Summerblast). Please say 'yes' or my whole concept will have to go down the pan!
yes you're right. if you download the 'shrink' demo, it has code that you would find very useful for switching between characters (although you wouldn't use the 'shrink' part).
Grandad wrote:I will need quite a lot of custom tiles for this game too and also both Dizzy and Daisy need to have other colours in their design than just white. Of the default tiles supplied it seems that you can only change the overall colour and texture, not parts of them and although I could use them as a 'starting point' and manipulate them in windows paint and then export them back (I have read the 'how to' article on creating tiles), but I don't have Adobe Photoshop and creating double images in windows paint for TGAworks to implode to a TGA file is going to be very tedious. I do have Corel PaintShop Pro (photo x2), but I'm not overly familiar with it and cannot find any reference to alpha channels, so was wondering if 'transparent layers' would have the same effect as an alpha channel ...or will I be restricted to Paint (the article says Gimp is very hard to use) and have my game ready by 2015?
Firstly, don't forget that you can un-pak any fan game and use any tile that the author has included. You can also download from the site the character tiles that Colin drew for SBD.

Secondly, the article says that GIMP is hard to use, but i don't find it hard to use! :p having said that, i do use it all the time. oh and an 'alpha' channel/layer is the same as a transparent layer.

:)

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:41 pm

oh and you might want to have a look at the video tutorials either on these forums, or on the dizzyage site. They may be of use to you, however i get the feeling that you've probably got on very well so far anyway! :)

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:11 pm

Thanks for the advice Jamie, much appreciated. I was under the impression that if you wanted to 'borrow' from another fan game, then you would have to ask the permission of the author first. But being allowed to check out other fan games (and Colin's characters) for tiles will make life a lot easier, but obviously I would credit anybody who's work I 'borrowed'.

Now that you've told me that Corel's 'layers' will work means that I can experiment with the package with the assurance that I can create tga files that will work.

I will check out the tutorials too as I really am an absolute beginner - I'm just trying to understand all the principles involved rather than just rush ahead.

Thanks Again

Grandad
PS - I won't be 'un-paking' Illusion Island ...at least not until I've found those last five elusive coins you've hidden away. Great game by the way!

Colin
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Colin » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:01 pm

Hi
feel free to use anything from SBD and VID :v2_dizzy_happy:
ImageImageImage

xelanoimis
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by xelanoimis » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:38 am

Welcome to the DizzyAGE community!
It's an open community and everyone is happy to help you - as you see, Colin already offered his wonderful set of characters. And I'm sure he can help you understand his character switching code, if you need.
Well, keep us updated about your game and post some screenshots too :)
Alex

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:17 pm

OK, I've managed to create tiles (ended up just doing two bitmaps and imploding them with TGAworks) so that's one problem sorted.

Now I'm trying to get to grips with switching the 'player'. I've checked out the shrink demo and if I understand correctly then actioning the plant (object 1003) in the Game script updates the custom move between 0 and 2, which is then dealt with by the Player update in the Handlers script, ie custom move 1 makes Dizzy red and custom move 2 shrinks him and then uses movement2 script to take into account the smaller steps. But I can't seem to find where the 'tile' switch takes place. Chap 10 in the DizzyAGE book under Player movement says that the STATUS_SCRIPTED value is responsible for changing the player's animated tile (P_TILE) to correspond to it's current state, but I can't seem to find this in the scripts. The only difference I can find in the custom move is in 'costume' as in Player Set both cm0 and cm1 are P_COSTUME, 0 with a colour difference and cm2 is P_COSTUME, 50. I've glanced through the other scripts but can't seem to find anything about costume or a relationship to tile ids ...or am I totally off the track here? Grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Grandad (now with minimal hair)

delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:08 pm

yes, you've got it with P_COSTUME.

if you look in the folder Data -> Tiles -> Dizzy you'll find all the dizzy movement tiles, numbered from 10 to 23 for normal movement, 41 to 53 for aqua movements, and 60 to 65 for shrink movements.

the key is what you set P_COSTUME as. It uses this number to 'advance' the number of the tile it looks for. so when the value is 0, the Dizzy Idle tile is number 10. however if you set P_COSTUME as 50, then it advances it by 50, and the Dizzy Idle tile would now be number 60.

granted, it's not the easiest thing to figure out (i was head scratching a bit when doing it for IID), but then, changing the character tile is a fairly advanced piece of coding!

:)

Grandad
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Grandad » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:50 am

Ah, thanks Jamie. I'll recheck the scripts to ensure that the movement sequences follow on when I've switched the 'costume' and then - hopefully - can check it out by amending the scripts in the shrink demo and adding Daisy tiles in order to switch to Daisy rather than tiny Dizzy tiles. I can also use this demo to attempt to reposition Daisy in the other room at the same time, as I would also be switching rooms when I switch to Daisy.

Grandad

gavlaa
Hard Boiled Egg

Custom Tiles

Post by gavlaa » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:20 pm

Can someone help me?

I have just copied a tiles folder from a fan game. It displays in the map editor but when I run the game, even after changing the x y positions for Dizzy, nothing shows.

I'm guessing its something that needs to be updated with one of the script files, seeing as other than copying and pasting the files folder, I've not changed anything else.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gavlaa