Pirates Life Dizzy (HELP THREAD)

Stuck on one of our games? Post about it here.
delta
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by delta » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:52 pm

I know what the problem is. The tile is too large.

Because it's an animated tile, you can't go too wide with it, because some older computers won't be able to handle it. In CoTM I had to reduce the size of the fire and water tiles so that older comps could handle them, as Quiggie couldn't see them.

what size is it col? I'd try to get it under 400 pixels wide if I were you!

"Quotes from the internet may not be genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Colin
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Colin » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:54 pm

i'm releasing a new update v1.04

I'll post the info in the download thread
ImageImageImage

Ghostface
Free Range Egg

Post by Ghostface » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:26 pm

how do we save the game progress?? i heard of it in other fan games or mentioned that it should be possible.. is it possible with this one? it is a long game and i havent even been on the mine cart yet.

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:29 pm

Ghostface wrote:how do we save the game progress?? i heard of it in other fan games or mentioned that it should be possible.. is it possible with this one? it is a long game and i havent even been on the mine cart yet.
Press either Esc or Q to bring up a menu, you should find the option to save in there.

frogandhat
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by frogandhat » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:00 pm

delta wrote:I know what the problem is. The tile is too large.

Because it's an animated tile, you can't go too wide with it, because some older computers won't be able to handle it. In CoTM I had to reduce the size of the fire and water tiles so that older comps could handle them, as Quiggie couldn't see them.

what size is it col? I'd try to get it under 400 pixels wide if I were you!
Thats what I am getting as well, hence my post about not being able to tell how much health I had
Insert signature here

SALEHMARLEY
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by SALEHMARLEY » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:16 pm

Can anyone point me in the right direction?????
Not sure where to go from here, i got the following items: broken dagger, jolly roger, plate, sugar cane (i am guessin at sugar shop on one of the stops on the boat but i cant go back yet as i have used my one pass),bug repellant ( i am guessin this is used on the mosquitos after using the ornatekey in the church?)empty bottle, hatchet, cool rabbit, old suitcase (had to leave this behind before the boat journey) cat, jolly roger, padlock key(i dont think i used this yet), lantern, snips (used once)snorkel......there maybe more but i cant remember. I been past the cart ride. I managed to get one scroll from behind that fella that needs for me to make something light. I think i managed to explore all islands once i rowed the boat.
What do i need to concentrate on next.

Ps. Colin, loving the game thanks mate. Did manage to find a problem in one of the caves on one of the islands....'after a long walk it seemed like something had blocked my way' ...at this point i jumped left and i carried on falling through a couple of screens then proceeded to carry on walking. I couldnt do nothing but close the game down???????

frogandhat
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by frogandhat » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:25 pm

There are 3 items you can use -

1 - jolly roger needs to be returned to where it came from - not literally as you cant climb up there!
2- cat - think James Bond
3 - sugar cane - you are right
You only lose the pass if you go back to the jetty by the fort i think - i made sure i didnt go there the second time through, so kept my one trip pass - but maybe one of the above may help??
Insert signature here

Nowhere Girl
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Nowhere Girl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:01 am

About downloading version 1.03 - I opened the zip file without saving it and yes, I just extracted the files into the same folder, replacing existing files. Otherwise I would have problems with my saves...
I use Win XP and a really old computer - my cousin, a doctoral student of mechatronics, says it generally shouldn't work anymore. ;) It's a Toshiba laptop, about 11 years old and actually from the beginning it used to have problems with overheating. It's also pretty slow, but it got much better after removing some icons from the desktop and getting some programs not to run automatically when the computer is started.
Anyway, Consumptive (that's his name ;) ) is slowly leaving for the Happy Game Grounds and I'm looking for his successor - but it has to have manual sound control and now it's hard to find. I think computer makers are so ashamed of nondigital solutions that they gave up an incomparably more comfortable solution - switching off the sound from the desktop takes several times more - it requires several seconds and with manual control it's just one move of the finger...

OK, yet a question about the game. I managed to get the pickaxe and I'm a bit surprised - it doesn't work in the gloomy caves (where that small gap in the rock can be seen) and when I used it in the Governor's garden, it broke up. Don't I need it anywhere else? Anyway, that place in the gardens was just a shortcut...

PS. about saving the game... I remember playing my first Dizzy AGE game ("Dizzy and the other side") and whimpering on the Polish Dizzy forum "It's soooooo hard!!". The admin made a cheat ;) and only later I realised the game can be saved - of course I Know Better ;) and haven't really read the readme file. On the other hand, this option COULD be unexpected - original Dizzy games didn't have the save/restore options...

quiggie
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by quiggie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:14 pm

hooray finished this at the weekend and it played smoothly with no probs at all - liked it so much colin i'm off to download the latest version and have another play thanks very much :v2_dizzy_yahoo:
Hard work has a future payoff. Lazyness pays off NOW.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Post by Meph » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:37 pm

Ps. Colin, loving the game thanks mate. Did manage to find a problem in one of the caves on one of the islands....'after a long walk it seemed like something had blocked my way' ...at this point i jumped left and i carried on falling through a couple of screens then proceeded to carry on walking. I couldnt do nothing but close the game down???????[/QUOTE]

Just happend to me as well.

And it seems I'm at the exact same point. lol

I wasn't expecting a Dizzy down the rapids bit.. cool :)
Its always the cracked ones that let the light in