AGDQ speedrun thread - looking for helping hands!

One for the hardcore fans...
Jockesomfan
Your Backpack is Empty

AGDQ speedrun thread - looking for helping hands!

Post by Jockesomfan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:43 am

Hi guys,

I have just started but since this game is mostly uncharted territory when it comes to speedrunning there will be quite some routing/optimization etc., would be fun to get some help if anyone is keen!

So far I have started jotting down a list of all the items available, what unlocks what, if the train can be used to quickly travel some specific route etc and i'm gonna use this thread to document my progress and for you guys to read if there is any interest.

I've been looking online and I found some run around 1h done by a player and a TAS run at 38m~. I am quite sure that those times could be beaten through smart use of paths since the TAS run doesn't seem optimal at all (although ofcourse, perfect input).

When i jumped into an emulator and remembered that as a child i found a bug that allowed me to clip through a wall in the starting area, allowing me to travel up a floor thus not having to go to the bottom of the village to get the spray can - I hanve't really analyzed if this could be used to trim some time off the clock (feel free to let me know if you can think of something) but even if it isn't, im sure that there are similar cases in the game where you could clip through walls to possibly skip using some items, or enabling to use them out of order.

Picture of the area: https://imgur.com/KP3aQ7W

Jockesomfan
Your Backpack is Empty

Re: AGDQ speedrun thread - looking for helping hands!

Post by Jockesomfan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:49 am

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:55 pm

Jockesomfan wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:43 am
When i jumped into an emulator and remembered that as a child i found a bug that allowed me to clip through a wall in the starting area, allowing me to travel up a floor thus not having to go to the bottom of the village to get the spray can - I hanve't really analyzed if this could be used to trim some time off the clock (feel free to let me know if you can think of something) but even if it isn't, im sure that there are similar cases in the game where you could clip through walls to possibly skip using some items, or enabling to use them out of order.

I've played the Sega version of Fantastic Dizzy a dozen times and certainly don't recall coming across a bug like that. :v2_dizzy_confused2:

The Mine Cart ride can be confusing for anyone who's new to the game.
What's more is that you have to collect every single magic star which is possible to do in one go.

There are 3 exits on the Mine Cart ride.
-- If I remember correctly, The first exit you come to takes you to a beach where the bag of salt is found.
-- The second exit comes out near where Shamus the leprechaun is, with an extra life puzzle waiting for you there.
-- The third exit is where Dizzy must reach to obtain the shovel located beneath the cemetery/western edge of Keldor.

Jockesomfan
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by Jockesomfan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:43 pm

Adz.M wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:55 pm
Jockesomfan wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:43 am

I've played the Sega version of Fantastic Dizzy a dozen times and certainly don't recall coming across a bug like that. :v2_dizzy_confused2:

The Mine Cart ride can be confusing for anyone who's new to the game.
What's more is that you have to collect every single magic star which is possible to do in one go.

There are 3 exits on the Mine Cart ride.
-- If I remember correctly, The first exit you come to takes you to a beach where the bag of salt is found.
-- The second exit comes out near where Shamus the leprechaun is, with an extra life puzzle waiting for you there.
-- The third exit is where Dizzy must reach to obtain the shovel located beneath the cemetery/western edge of Keldor.
Hey Adz.M,

I posted pictures of the area where you can clip through the +1 to the +2 floor in the yolk village in my original pots. It is a pixel perfect jump that is quite easy to line up and 100% reproducible. The best use I have found for this so far is to go to the +2, grab the Daisy key, drop down to Daisys house, drop down to the right side on +0 to which you can pick up the bug spray, plant the plank, pick up the key for the elevator and come back up. This should save you one ascend and descend of the run but I am sure that there is more potential here.

You are correct about that it is possible to go through the mine cart ride just one time since you are able to grab every star on the way (20 total) as well as making it to the last exit which grants the spade. Even though this mine cart ride is quite long I don't feel like it should be hard to memorize, I did some test runs yesterday and could mostly manage to get it right all the way to the exit.

There are a total of 4 exits for the mine cart ride, you missed the first one which brings you back to the mine on the same floor.

Additionally something that might be interesting is that the 2nd exit of the tram that brings you to the right side of the beach has a two-way portal that goes back to the mine - it is possible that this is usable to cut some time out of some time of the run, such as bringing items closer to the bean planting spot as there are many items that needs to go there (rope, magic bean, golden clover, Zaks portcullis winch, bucket of water, skeleton key, old rug)

Jockesomfan
Your Backpack is Empty

Post by Jockesomfan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:46 pm

What I have been working on in the past couple of days is mostly routing and trying to break the Zaks magic door that requires 250 stars. I tried bufferjumping with a damage bar on which I am technically dead but so far no success breaking through the door without actually collecting the 250 stars. Being able to break through here without collecting the 250 stars would obviously enable A LOT of time to be saved on the run as you don't have to go into the underwater area at all.

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Post by Adz.M » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:03 pm

Jockesomfan wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:43 pm
There are a total of 4 exits for the mine cart ride, you missed the first one which brings you back to the mine on the same floor.
Ah, my apologies! :v2_dizzy_blush:

I'll admit It's been a while since I last played, I was only saying by memory.