The pit

Lost? Keep dropping the bolders?
AndyC
Hard Boiled Egg

The pit

Postby AndyC » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:00 pm

I've been playing quite a lot of Spellbound Dizzy over the last few days, and what I've always thought of as a problem with the game has reared its head again.

Am I the only one who thinks that the pit next to the quarry (the one with Pogie in it) is an unnecessary pain in the neck? Once you've worked out how to get in and out of it (which frankly isn't all that difficult) it just becomes a routine chore to be dealt with every time you need to collect rocks from the quarry.

I think it would have been far better to include a bridge kit as one of the items in the game. Maybe at the far side of the mine cart ride, so you have to do a bit of work to get it. Then you could get the rocks far more easily without wasting so much time. If a small hole was left in the bridge it would still give you the option of dropping down into the pit when you needed to.

Alternatively, maybe the map could have been re-jigged slightly to put the pit on the other side of the quarry. That would still leave it as an obstacle to be overcome when you needed to reach the sea, but wouldn't take up as much time as it actually does.

What does anyone else think?

laffer35
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby laffer35 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:39 pm

I just started playing this game (just started playing Dizzy for the first time ever about a week ago) and I fully agree. This is my least favourite Dizzy game so far because of that. I haven't played it much yet though, only gotten past the cart ride so far.

Another thing I don't like about Dizzy games is when they hide coins and all that behind stuff that is identical to other stuff. It's boring to click every part of a fence to see if a diamond is hidden behind one of them.

Steven
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby Steven » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:06 am

AndyC wrote:Once you've worked out how to get in and out of it (which frankly isn't all that difficult) it just becomes a routine chore to be dealt with every time you need to collect rocks from the quarry.

I think collecting the rocks themselves is a chore and that pit is just another hinderance to aggravate things. Never liked the design idea behind the Windy Shaft at all, maybe as a one off puzzle it would have been fine but to keep going back and forth collecting rocks to reach different levels of the shaft was just plain tedious.

Gary S
Free Range Egg

Postby Gary S » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:39 am

I have to agree. For me this just made the game repetitive. If it had been limited to one or two journeys down the windy shaft to collect a few things or solve one or two puzzles then fine, but it becomes the centre point of the whole game. Not only that, but setting the adventure in a cave just limits the kinds of things they can do with it, especially compared to Fantasy World and Magicland which came with a wealth of references to various fairy tales and mythology.