Tell the community about yourself.
Dizzy19
Free Range Egg

Well Done! You Found a Coin!

Postby Dizzy19 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:38 pm

|
+___Hi, everyone.
|
+___As probably it has already been felt, I am an old chap. I do not come from the lot of young people who display a "bemused look" when they hear about Dizzy, as it was written in an Internet article about 25 years old people.
|
+___My Dizzy story is very beautiful. I was almost about to complain that the only non-English contributors to the Dizzy universe are Russian, Polish and Czech when eventually I have found out that the authors of the DizzyAGE engine are SIMION Alexandru and Cristina. I also have found out a Dizzy game created by CONSTANTINESCU Silviu Alexandru.
|
+___Like them, I am also Romanian and I hoped to see some Romanian input to this universe. I have started playing the Dizzy saga around the year of 1,992, after being handed a Romanian unofficial clone of the ZX Spectrum microcomputer produced by the Sinclair Research Limited British hardware and software company.
|
+___The clones are somewhat documented at the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Spectru ... ial_clones Uniform Resource Locator and at the http://rk.nvg.ntnu.no/sinclair/computer ... ropean.htm Uniform Resource Locator. Mine was Home Computer 1,991 (in short, HC-91), to which I had attached the ZX-Interface one, a Kempston joystick, an optical pen, a green-black monitor, a 5.25" floppy disk drive and a "Panasonic" cassette tape recorder.
|
+___The simple question that would arise now would be whether I produced anything significant for the ZX universe. At that time, I studied the Zilog Z80 assembly code. I understood the whole thing pretty well, but I did not perform anything on my own. I was rather using the "RANDOMIZE USR <memory address>" Sinclair BASIC instruction in order to call machine code routines produced by other authors.
|
+___What I did do - and unfortunately, I did not keep it, as I see that a lot of authors tend to also do in this Dizzy universe - was a nice clone of the IBM-PC "Peter Norton Commander" for the ZX Spectrum world. The 5.25" floppy disk drive had a nasty file loader. Basically, they created a machine code routine for reading the file allocation table and that was it. The user had to type "CAT #1" in order to list the floppy disk contents and then a long command such as 'LOAD * #1; "<File Name>"' in order to load the contents of the file within the microcomputer memory.
|
+___In order to shorten the whole thing, I created a graphical double-pane file manager. I was using the Kempston joystick in order to move the cursor highlight over the file names that were still read using the supplied machine code routine. I made the file manager understand some spontaneous conventions related to the file names, such as, if the eighth character of the file name was "*", then firing the Kempston joystick would trigger the loading of a screen image at the 16,384 memory address and in length of 6,192 bytes. Unlike HC-88, HC-91 did not have the CP/M operating system installed on it.
|
+___I could go on writing volumes about the Zilog Z80 microprocessor and its beautiful world, but - if you have already reached this paragraph, you are either very fond of ZX Spectrum, or you are really bored to death. I am happy that there are people out there who are still treasuring the 8-bit world (not only of ZX Spectrum). I am having difficulties to digest the 64-bit world and I see that most of the 64-bit builds are still marked as "experimental" all over the Internet. So, as usual, the human beings have difficulties in keeping up with the new.
|
+___My all-time best video game ever is Dizzy III: "Fantasy World Dizzy". It has brightened up my teenage period of time and I hope that it will brighten as many teenagers as possible in the future time that is yet to come. I was around sixteen years old when I have played it for the first time and I still enjoy playing it. Hats off for Philip Oliver and for Andrew Oliver!
|
+___I do not know whether they have used the egg symbol on purpose or it was a simple matter of choice. In the Sanskrit culture, the world "dwijaha" is used both for the bird and for the human being. As the bird hatches out of the egg, also the ancient vedic scriptures talk of a motherly energy called as "Kundalini" that resides dormant within the sacrum bone at the base of the spinal cord and that, once it rises and it traverses the fontanel bone area at the top of the head, it bestows what is termed as "Atma-Sakshat-Kar" (Self-Realisation) to the human being, transforming it into a spiritual being. So, knowingly or not, they have used a nice metaphor.
|
Last edited by Dizzy19 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Please find the Comprehensive List of Dizzy Games at the following Uniform Resource Locator:"

https://1drv.ms/x/s!Am7QvREkJBcagvB27g-OuIeLrn44cg

frogandhat
Hard Boiled Egg

Re: Well Done! You Found a Coin!

Postby frogandhat » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:58 pm

Welcome aboard!

Dizzy19
Free Range Egg

Postby Dizzy19 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:25 pm

|
+___Hi, FrogAndHat.
|
+___Thank you for the warm welcome.
|
+___I hope that I shall find a few infinities of coins, stars, diamonds, jewels, crystals and other Dizzy artifacts in the near future.
|
Last edited by Dizzy19 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Please find the Comprehensive List of Dizzy Games at the following Uniform Resource Locator:"

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Postby Adz.M » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:37 pm

Welcome to the Community.
We hope you enjoy exploring our site. :)

Dizzy19
Free Range Egg

Postby Dizzy19 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:57 pm

|
+___Hi, Adz.M.
|
+___Thank you for the warm welcome.
|
+___It appears that there are a lot of things that have been produced during the last thirty years around Dizzy's iconic figure.
|
+___I am looking forward to discovering them.
|