The Harpy's Eyrie?

Devil on your sholder? or just got your head in the clouds?
Ovum
Your Backpack is Empty

The Harpy's Eyrie?

Postby Ovum » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:39 pm

Hi everyone there!

I am an old fan of Dizzy since "Ultimate Cartoon Adventure" and recently I finished "Magicland Dizzy" again and saw something I didn't see before.

On Active Volcano, if you jump on the clouds you will eventually get into another screen in which you can see a ?guy? flying over some rocks. The screen is called "The Harpy's Eyrie".

Did anyone found any sense with this?

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Postby Adz.M » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:21 pm

I think the Harpy's Eyrie was an excuse to stick an extra room in the 8-bit games :p

You can get to the top of that screen easily on the C64 version, but when you reach the top, The Harpy goes after you and you either lose a life or a lot of health (one of the two).

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Meph » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:03 pm

always thought this was a bit of a mystery. maybe a hidden puzzle or extra we haven't found yet? something different for the c64 version.

Or its a trick and is just meant to fool people into thinking theres more.
[font="Comic Sans MS"]Its always the cracked ones that let the light in [/font]

Ovum
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby Ovum » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:55 pm

Thank you very much for solving my question. When I saw this for my first time I also was surprised for this... and even more because I couldn't reach that high (I play Dizzy on Spectrum).

Thanks again for your help!! :v2_dizzy_wink2:

JonnyJP
Free Range Egg

Postby JonnyJP » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:01 pm

I just noticed that in the title bar isn't the egg on the right meant to be Daisy?

I always thought the yellow bit was a shadow, but it looks like hair and the egg does seem to have fuller lips than the one on the left!

__Vano
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby __Vano » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:45 am

I heard rumors that the harpy can be hit with the Big Stick (that is left over after it's used, unlike other items).

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Postby Adz.M » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:28 pm

__Vano wrote:I heard rumors that the harpy can be hit with the Big Stick (that is left over after it's used, unlike other items).

You lose the stick after you use it on the goat on the C64 version.

__Vano
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby __Vano » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:22 am

__Vano wrote:I heard rumors that the harpy can be hit with the Big Stick (that is left over after it's used, unlike other items).

Adz.M wrote:You lose the stick after you use it on the goat on the C64 version.

Finally, checked this rumor!

• The harpy kills me almost instantly, and even if I manage to use the Stick at that brief moment, it does nothing - just pops out to hover in mid-air.
  • Interestingly, after the item dialog closes, the harpy moves to its initial position so it can be bypassed this way. Alas, there's nothing but clear sky up beyond (yes, with no clouds). Busted another theory that alleged there were something.
  • The stones of the nest can be stepped onto, I even managed to set the respawn point onto them when I timed it so that I was standing there before the harpy touched me.
  • Jumping the highest possible to the right, I managed to land on top of the Hellgate. When I jumped to the right from there, Dizzy jumped through the empty sky above and began to slowly rolling to the right along the Hellgate screen's top, flickering between it and the sky screen above and ultimately falling off the edge of the world. He then flew through several empty sky screens (some of them had diamonds in them, allegedly corresponding to those still left on the map) and ultimately landed into the beyond the looking glass screen with the pawns (falling right onto the spikes and dying :v2_dizzy_down :) .
    [INDENT]The thing that astonished me the most in this sequence is that I didn't fall through the inner stones in hellgate or see random stuff beyond the map (as would be the case if the program accessed memory beyond the map's area; there were the diamonds indeed but I wouldn't be able to collect them while airborne in any case). That's the quality they made programs of in that era!!! :dizzy_smile: :tup:

[INDENT](I did fall through the frame of the pawns' screen but that must be 'cuz it's the same or lesser height than Dizzy's model box so when he spawns in it, there's empty space right under him).[/INDENT][/INDENT]
  • I couldn't jump to the left from as high above 'cuz the harpy was always blocking the way. And when I jumped from the nest's stones, it always touched and killed me before I left the screen. After seeing all of the above, however, I'm pretty sure there's just sky there as well. And I wouldn't reach the fake stairs above the geyser even if I jumped off the very left edge of the nest anyway.

So, this rumor is finally busted once and for all (heh, it's been like 20 years!!!)!