Game difference

Trouble saving all the Yolkfolk?
Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Game difference

Postby Meph » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:45 pm

I hear there are two different versions?
one like the 'go dizzy go' and another more like Fast food??? or have i miss read?

Adz.M
Team Yolkfolk
Team Yolkfolk

Postby Adz.M » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:13 am

Well the C64 version of this game was different to the others.

on the Commodore, the aim of the game was to get Dizzy through a maze collecting all the Fluffles and getting them to safety or something.

Where as the other versions was to save the band The Dizzy Mob from 4 different islands.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Meph » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:04 am

Oh, I've not played the c64 version then.

If its so different then why did they give it same title? Sounds alittle weird..maybe an error.

Meph
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Meph » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:51 am

I tried this version out.. while its great to have another Dizzy..its looks horrbale... lol doesn't even look like dizzy.. really weird.

kwiksnaxdizzy
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby kwiksnaxdizzy » Tue May 01, 2007 8:39 pm

Hey! My first post here. Lapsed Dizzy player, got into it agin cos I got a ZX Spectrum emulator for my DS and have Kwik Snax on it....

I played the Speccy version at a friends, and loved it. Great game (great music too, by the way). Rushed out to get it for my C64, and was treated to a horrific monstrosity in comparison. C64 Kwik Snax is horrible and an insult to the original, in my opinion. Dunno why it was different. Could you actually not buy the "proper" version for the C64 at all? Don't know what the logic of that was, it wasn't surely that difficult to port across.

AndyUK
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby AndyUK » Wed May 09, 2007 11:56 pm

Most Commodore 64 games were made by different people than who made the Spectrum versions.

So I guess they decided to make an entirely new game?
:v2_dizzy_confused2:

Either that or noone planned to make a Kwik snax port.
But someone was making this game and asked Codemasters for the dizzy liscense. Since there was no Kwik snax game and this game is a mazey type game maybe they slapped that name on the game?

Mataeus
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Mataeus » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:20 am

[color="DarkGreen"]Dizzy does look strange, but the gameplay is excellent on the Commodore I think and the weapons are fun... I loved the 'proper' game too of course, but I played the Commodore one more.[/color]

thereallocomaniac
Your Backpack is Empty

Which is better

Postby thereallocomaniac » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:11 am

I've always enjoyed the ZX spectrum version with the amazing intro and cut scenes and music by lyndon sharpe but my mate prefers the c64 version and swears blindly that version is better.

I think the c64 is average and he is is just being nostalgic because I still play the Speccy version
And I think it's superb
Which version do you guys think is best?

Bag of Magic Food
Hard Boiled Egg

Postby Bag of Magic Food » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:08 am

I think the Commodore 64 game is worth playing once for the ragtime music.

AnthonyJDB
Your Backpack is Empty

Postby AnthonyJDB » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:23 pm

Much as I enjoyed the C64 version, it was indeed a very weak tie-in with the rest of the series and showed all the signs of being a generic souped-up Pac Man game with a few Dizzy-ish sprites bolted into the code (although the title made more sense, given that the "Quick Snacks" were the little creatures you had to lead to freedom from the hungry monsters, while the food in the other versions was resolutely static). Perhaps the C64 version wasn't developed in time for the release date, so they just asked Jason Benham to make some graphical adjustments to his own maze game project. Having said that, there were just times when programmers on different systems seemed to prefer just to strike out in their own direction (Super G-Man, for example, being substantially different on C64 and Spectrum).

Still, in spite of its weak connection to the series, I did hugely enjoy the C64 Kwik Snax (to the extent that it was the only Dizzy arcade game I completed without cheating). The differing weapons and monsters gave the game a lot of character and strategy, it had a huge variety of power-up items, and the capacity for racking up huge points (through treasure rooms, bonus rounds, rapid level clearance, etc) was a challenge in and of itself.